4600 Class Ultra4 Race Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chromemoly is a slang term for steel alloys containing chromium and molybdenum. I don't know the correct way to represent it. We've discussed it, me and the companies I've developed a few products for and have never arrived at a consensus. The easier way would be to just use what the alloy is, 4130, 4340, etc., but that doesn't sound as cool to the folks that don't understand what that means.
This has definitely sent me down the rabbit hole of researching and trying to gain understanding of the different metals, their usages, and respective identifiers.

Reactions: Chris
This has definitely sent me down the rabbit hole of researching and trying to gain understanding of the different metals, their usages, and respective identifiers.
That is a very bad rabbit hole to head down. Most don't understand that steel is a generic term for an iron alloy and there are 100's of variations each with properties that are desirable for certain aspects of an application. Use the term "steel" to describe some ferrous product that is used for bumpers is just as inaccurate as using the term "aluminum". Until the alloy is defined, we really don't know anything except one turns brown when it corrodes.

That is a very bad rabbit hole to head down. Most don't understand that steel is a generic term for an iron alloy and there are 100's of variations each with properties that are desirable for certain aspects of an application. Use the term "steel" to describe some ferrous product that is used for bumpers is just as inaccurate as using the term "aluminum". Until the alloy is defined, we really don't know anything except one turns brown when it corrodes.
Duly noted. I may send a life line back out to you when I get too deep LOL.

Chromemoly is a slang term for steel alloys containing chromium and molybdenum. I don't know the correct way to represent it. We've discussed it, me and the companies I've developed a few products for and have never arrived at a consensus. The easier way would be to just use what the alloy is, 4130, 4340, etc., but that doesn't sound as cool to the folks that don't understand what that means.

And then we start seeing "chromium" offerings from companies that aren't heat treating it... It sure would be nice if there was a marketing term that also reflected some sort of reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.