5.3 Vortec swap transmission options

Bad_Diesel

I plan on swapping my inline 6 for a 5.3 that I just picked up. I do have some time as I plan on cleaning it up and possibly turbo'ing it. I don't do much trail driving or rock crawling. I just want more power and would like a 5 or a 6 speed auto. Eventually, it will be a deer camp/cabin vehicle, pulling some jet skis or a smaller trailer. What options do I have that aren't too pricy and can handle more HP?

I’d ask @XCRN it sounds like he’s done this a few times.

My 6.2 came with a 6L80e but it’s already programmed to work together.

If I was putting a package together I’d go with something that I could use a Holley system to run, I believe that’s a 4L60.

Last edited:
Reactions: P man
I’d ask @XCRN it sounds like he’s done this a few times.

My 6.2 came with a 6L80e but it’s already programmed to work together.

If I was putting a package together I’d go with something that I could use a Holley system to run, I believe that’s a 4L80.

Holley can do the 6L80 now with an additional $500 module and you got to get the Terminator X-max not the regular X, I haven't looked too much into it but looks like a good option with plenty of tuneability. Though the 4L80 is a stront option, it is long and most of the adapters that are not excessively long require tearing down the trans to swap the output shaft (atleast 4L60s require it). The 6L80 is supposedly shorter but when comparing an AX15 with a LS adapter bell house and stock 4x4 6L80 side by side, the 6L was around 2-1/2 to 3” longer. I personally run a standard SYE on a NP231J with my LS AX15 combo with no issues of the drive shaft being too short. But one of the JB Conversions Super Short SYE should make up that difference in length. And to adapt the 6L80 to a NP231J you just need to swap the transfer-case input shaft which you are like halfway there when doing the SYE and I think would be easier than tearing a transmission apart.

Holley can do the 6L80 now with an additional $500 module and you got to get the Terminator X-max not the regular X, I haven't looked too much into it but looks like a good option with plenty of tuneability. Though the 4L80 is a stront option, it is long and most of the adapters that are not excessively long require tearing down the trans to swap the output shaft (atleast 4L60s require it). The 6L80 is supposedly shorter but when comparing an AX15 with a LS adapter bell house and stock 4x4 6L80 side by side, the 6L was around 2-1/2 to 3” longer. I personally run a standard SYE on a NP231J with my LS AX15 combo with no issues of the drive shaft being too short. But one of the JB Conversions Super Short SYE should make up that difference in length. And to adapt the 6L80 to a NP231J you just need to swap the transfer-case input shaft which you are like halfway there when doing the SYE and I think would be easier than tearing a transmission apart.

I hadn't seen the 6L80 controller looks like it came out this year. Good to know, if I can't get everything working the way I want it to I'll have another option.

I hadn't seen the 6L80 controller looks like it came out this year. Good to know, if I can't get everything working the way I want it to I'll have another option.

Im really thinking about getting it now since I have an X-max sitting on my shelf and 2 6L80 cores lying around and may have just blown my second manual tranny.

Im really thinking about getting it now since I have an X-max sitting on my shelf and 2 6L80 cores lying around and may have just blown my second manual tranny.

I like how easy it appears to be to change gearing and tire size. Most people are putting what I have in muscle cars and such, they aren't running 40's and the information about the installs is pretty lacking for the connect and cruise systems. Other than spending more money the only negative is that I'd not want to use the AEM dash setup that I already have and really like the functionality of it. I'll see if what I have works first but I do like that Holley setup.

I like how easy it appears to be to change gearing and tire size. Most people are putting what I have in muscle cars and such, they aren't running 40's and the information about the installs is pretty lacking for the connect and cruise systems. Other than spending more money the only negative is that I'd not want to use the AEM dash setup that I already have and really like the functionality of it. I'll see if what I have works first but I do like that Holley setup.

Holley makes adapters to go from their EFI products to AEM clusters, you might get lucky and be able to integrate the 2 fairly easily. But its Holley so you will of course have to throw more money at it to make it work

Holley makes adapters to go from their EFI products to AEM clusters, you might get lucky and be able to integrate the 2 fairly easily. But its Holley so you will of course have to throw more money at it to make it work

I think if I ran a Holley system I'd rather have their display.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I think if I ran a Holley system I'd rather have their display.

Their displays are nice and the fancy ones also have input and output capabilities so you can do some different things like change parts of the tune on the fly. Like you want to bump up timing for some extra power, or bump idle speed up you can dk that through the dash, which you can still do all of that with the base I/O in the system. I made a lean cruise mode when I had the Holley on my TJ where when cruise control was activated it would lean out to about 16.5 AFR and bump timing to about 42*. Really neat system to play with

So I can do the 6L80 with the 5.3 in a 4x4 setup? And you’d recommend the terminator-X max? Any further upgrades that would strengthen my drivetrain to increase longevity? I already plan on upgrading my axles. I don’t plan on going bigger than 35’s but I’d like to leave my options open to possibly 37’s.

So I can do the 6L80 with the 5.3 in a 4x4 setup? And you’d recommend the terminator-X max? Any further upgrades that would strengthen my drivetrain to increase longevity? I already plan on upgrading my axles. I don’t plan on going bigger than 35’s but I’d like to leave my options open to possibly 37’s.

I liked my Terminator but was way overkill for a stock 5.3 daily so I switched to a stock wire harness.

Yes it now does work with a 6L80 and even mate it to a gen 3 engine, but you need to purchases this $450 addon to go with the X-max and you cannot use the regular X if you plan on using any electronic auto like 4L60/80 or 6L80/90. The base tune it gives you is pretty much crap but will get it running good enough to properly tune it. I made the mistake of running the base tune and it ran SUPER rich and caused a lot of issues. I found a sample file that was for like an LS1 and loaded that up and it helped a lot but didn't really start running right until I started logging and adjusting the tune which you will need a laptop to do that with.

If you are using a chevy trans, pretty much the weak link are stock axles and drive shafts. Definitly go with a SYE and I really suggest the super short versions if going 6L80. So I don't have specific recommendations on drivetrain upgrades since I kept mine mild with 31s and a Dana 44 with LSD and I know my AX15 is the week link. Maybe do a 6-pinion planetary and wider chain if using a NP231J since you will probably have to tear it apart anyways.

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...KYSg3u_D1EjyZYEhDlvRCnvk8odfgLhMaAo7aEALw_wcB

Reactions: ColoJeep
I have had the greatest luck with A 4l60.

We all still want to SEE pictures of this TJ w/LS swap in it. You've been talking about it now for at least 2 years but we've never seen even a single photo of it...
Come on share some information about it and some photos. We all like seeing a good swap photo.

And anyone that would like to drive you are more than welcome.

jeep4.jpg

jeep 2.jpg