XCRN

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Will add pictures, typed this on my computer and all my photos are on my phone so ill go back and edit them in. I will also be adding info as subjects come up and I do more of these.

So you want to go to the dark side discombobulate your TJ and throw a LS motor in your rig? Well its not that difficult and I am going to try and best explain how to do it. Most of my knowledge comes from my personal daily driver 2000 Jeep Wrangler that I have put on roughly 30k miles in the almost 3 years I have had this finished this swap. On this TJ, it has a 5.3 LM7 from a 01 Silverado but I had backed it both with the original NV3550 that I probably broke at 175k miles and now currently one of the brand new AX15 transmissions with 2 different adapter. I also had 2 different EFI systems, Terminator X Max and stock DIY standalone. This could be almost entirely a bolt on swap with little cutting and fabrication needed if you buy the right parts.

IMG_7270.jpeg

Last edited:
Engines

First thing to consider is what motor and transmission do you want to run. Definitely go into this project knowing what you want out of it, daily driver, rock crawler, mud rig, overlander, etc. This will help you narrow down what engine and trans combo you should go with. There are a few things to keep in mind when deciding an engine. There are 2 generation of LS engines, gen 3 and 4. And there is also the Gen 5 LT direct injection engines which I want to touch on as well since ill be working on one soon I hope. Gen 3 engines also come in drive by wire and drive by cable. There are ways to convert a DBW to DBC but that is beyond the scope of this write up. You ideally will want a DBC setup since it is easier to adapt the universal throttle cable to a Jeep pedal and a LS throttle than it is to mount a DBW chevy pedal to the Jeep. All gen 4 engines are DBW but I do not know anything about converting them to DBC but I think it is possible. Gen 5 engines absolutly require the use of a DBW setup, and as of right now no one has converted these engines to DBC. There are plenty of people who do LS TJ swaps with DBW and eventually ill update this with how to do so when I try this my self.

Engine Mounts

I have only used the Novak weld on mounts but have done tons of research on different manufacturers as well. I went Novak because at the time, they were the only one advertising that you do not need a suspension lift or body lift to use their mounts and that appealed to me since I was keeping my Jeep somewhat stock in that regard. But there are certainly a lot of other companies that make quality mounts. I have my gripes with the Novak mounts, but they work and they do have engine mounting plates for Gen 5 engines that use their frame side mounts.

IMG_0483.jpeg

IMG_0484.jpeg

IMG_0685.jpeg

With the Novak mounts, in their instructions they said to cut some of the pinch welds at the trans opening. I do not think I had to with a Jeep manual using a Jeep bellhouse, but would likely had to with a larger auto trans and it looks to be needed for the Quick Draw Brand bellhouse that is closer is size to a GM bellhouse. You can see marked in red what I had to cut. I then put a coat of seam sealer over top since it cut into the tub and then painted over top.

IMG_8110.jpeg

A note about the steering shaft. The Novak weld one mounts require cutting the steering shaft support mount off and they supply a new bracket that relocates it and spaces it away from the engine a little bit. I messed up with placement of engine and it was too close to the driver side so I had to REALLY space the steering shaft away. Supposedly the Holley mounts do not require relocacting the steering shaft support.

I have also been looking into the Holley mounts for my next Gen 5 project so stay tuned and ill document more on the Gen 5 mounts. They are a bolt on, then weld on mount. The nice thing is they use I believe a factory F-body LS1 engine isolator for gen 3 and 4 engines that again can be picked up at a local autoparts store. The gen 5 engines uses the same frame side mount but a slightly different isolator mount that is based on the LS1 mount. Just follow the directions and things will turn out fine.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/engine-mounts/mmtj-g/

https://www.holley.com/products/eng...and_crossmembers/engine_mounts/parts/VK090181

https://davescustomsunlimited.com/jeep-tj-ls-series-and-gen-iii-conversion-engine-mounts/

Engine Accessories

For this one it is very simple. Stock truck accessories work great except for the AC. You probably got a $500 truck motor and what came on that will work great. With the AC (if you want it) it will have to be moved up high or you will need to notch the frame. I had both a plain truck accessory setup and a Trail Blazer SS setup which is the same other than it uses a different pump. I am working on a custom bracket that moves the PS pump higher since mine was acting as a bump stop while at the dunes but will allow more off the shelf parts like PS hoses.
IMG_1283.jpeg

Oil Pans

This is also very simple. You can be cheap and use the truck pan your motor likely came with. Only draw back is it is deeper than the other pans out there. F-body has also been known to work and the Holley pans are also good (but expensive options). I personally like the Hummer H3 5.3 oil pan which is commonly advertised as the muscle car oil pan. Price point is reasonable, easily able to source, sump is not very long and also half the depth of the truck pan and the edges of the sump are very round to help with exhaust routing. First picture is the H3 pan, second picture is comparing the truck pan to a Holley 301-2 pan.

IMG_4323.jpeg

IMG_0726.jpeg

Last edited:
Transmissions

When it comes to transmissions there are a lot of options and factors to keep in mind. With that said I stuck with a manual on mine and can give some good advise on that. But as far as autos go, I have done a lot of research and currently working on a 4L60E swap but is not complete. So I can provide some of my research on that.

When it comes to manual transmissions, the easiest solution is keeping your AX15 or NV3550. There are a few adapters on the market for this and I have personally used both Novak and Quick Draw Brand. I highly recommend the Quick Draw Brand since it is a full bold on bellhouse and uses a factory Jeep throw out bearing and pilot bearing, also uses factory Chevy clutch. So all the wear parts are available at your local auto parts stores, unlike the Novak that uses a custom machined pilot bushing and a complicated throwout bearing that was a pain to setup and uses a specific expensive flywheel/clutch setup. The Novak adapter I used was a plate that goes between a Jeep bellhouse and the LS engine which is no longer available but now they make adapters that go on the face of the trans and uses an older style Chevy bellhouse but also requires the use of a non-factory slave cylinder as well and it just adds a lot of complexities.

IMG_1122.jpeg

IMG_1031.jpeg

IMG_1123.jpeg

Quick Draw Brand was nice and stupid simple to install. The bellhouse bolts in place of the transmission bellhouse and uses factory hydraulics, factory throwout bearing, a factory clutch setup, and a factory pilot bearing (with a custom made bushing to fit it). All that can be sourced from a autoparts store. And it bolted up very nicely and was very easy compared to the Novak kit.

IMG_7188.jpeg
https://quickdrawbrand.com/general-motors/bell-housing-jeep-ax15-nv3550-5-speed-to-gm-ls-v8/

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/engine-to-transmission/ax15/kit-gmax15

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/engine-to-transmission/gm/kit-3504

https://www.allstategear.com/NV3550...OhlqPtrZCW2lbIa9tXNU8XnA8jYw0FVxoCS-sQAvD_BwE

If you are using an auto, most people go with a 4L60E, 4L80E, or 6L80E and adapt thoes to Jeep transfer cases or Atlas' which I know hardly anything about so ill share my expereinces with NP231J transfercases. I have done a lot of research on the 4L60E and 6L80E, not so much into the 4L80E but I figured that is no different than a 4L60 for the most part.

With adapting 4L60E to an NP231J, most of the kits like the Novak and Adavanced Adapters that are the shortest require the swapping of the transmission output shaft so don't bother buying a built trans since you will have to tear it all apart anyways to swap the shaft. Just buy a cheap core, have it built how you want with the new shaft. There are some kits that are longer and only state to work with 94 and older transfercases but they only require swapping the inputshaft on the transfercase and you can leave the 4L60 output shaft alone. But with a TJ, you are already working with little room so you need to keep that in mind but that route could be possible with a super short SYE. With LJs that is not an issue.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/transmission-to-transfer-case/4l60e-to/kit-4l61/

https://www.advanceadapters.com/4l60e-hex-patternnp231-23t

https://www.advanceadapters.com/4l60e-hex-pat-np231-up-to-94

For a 6L80 which is one of my future projects, Novak sells a nice adapter kit where you need to swap the input shaft on the transfercase, but no internal modifications are needed to the trans it self. The 6L80s also have an internal VSS it uses for shifting points so no need to figure out how to adapt a GM VSS to the Jeep. The 6L80 is shorter than a 4L80 and I think close to the same length as the 4L60. But this is still a long transmission. When I compared one of the 6L80 cores I have to an AX15 with LS adapter, its about 3in longer (with 6L80 adapter installed). So one option to consider is using a super short SYE instead of a standard SYE. So the 6L80 transfercase combo will be about the same length as an AX15 transfercase combo. I like the 6L80 as a swap option for Jeeps with its 4.03 first gear and .67 OD, it will give you a great crawling gear and an ideal highway gear for V8s. Keep in mind, you cannot just put this on any engine. The internal TCMs are paired with the engine PCM. If you do not have the original PCM, you will need to send the TCM out to be paired. The Holley Terminator now is able run a 6L80 and I do not believe it needs any special pairing ritual.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/transmission-to-transfer-case/6l80-to/kit-6l81/

Transmission Mounts

There really is no clear way to do this, but its not complicated. If you are doing this swap you can probably figure it out.

For the AX15/NV3550, I first started with using Novak’s universal trans mount which I do not recommend and ill explain more in detail below.. So what I did is make a custom plate that just uses a factory transmission isolator that mounts directly to the skid plate with some cheap aluminum spacers to go between the trans and the isolator. I had access to milling machines so that was easy for me to make this, but you could probably make something just as simple with drills/torches and weld it in. My trans is a little further forward so I have to mount skid plate onto trans mount then skid to frame. I am going to make some little blocks to replace the spacers to move the isolator closer to the center of the slots so its easier to put the skid plate back on.

IMG_7142.jpeg

IMG_7195.jpeg

IMG_8111.jpeg

IMG_8108.jpeg

I was not a fan of the Novak universal mount. It failed on me and still required just as much thought on mounting and cost more than my DIY solution that I feel is way stronger. Below you can see how it was installed in the beginning (first picture) vs how it faired after 2 years (last 2 pics). The mount bent and cracked and made it VERY difficult to remove when I had to drop the skid plate since I could not reach the bolt head. That is when I went to the QDB setup and made a new mount.

IMG_0588.jpeg

IMG_7048.jpeg

IMG_7130.jpeg

Shifters

For the manual options, AX15 and NV3550, I would recommend a short throw shifter but I have not found it to be required if you bend the shaft right. When everything was installed, the shifter tower moved up about 2-3in from its original spot. I found using a transmission tunnel cover plate from a 05-06 6-speed lined up really well. I had to cut the ribbing off the bottom of the cover plate to fit the earlier TJ tubs. For the NV3550, Allstate Gear sells a reasonably priced short throw shifter for about $130. For the AX15, B&M seems to be the only option and its pricey.

https://www.allstategear.com/Jeep-NV3550-Short-Throw-Shifter-Kit-p/30617-kit.htm
https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/shifters_components_and_accessories/manual_shifters/precision_sportshifter/parts/45059?utm_term=&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping+-+B&M+-+Non-Brand&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&hsa_acc=7848552874&hsa_cam=1733073032&hsa_grp=73580296248&hsa_ad=337987018463&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=pla-711882970727&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAvoqsBhB9EiwA9XTWGez5HRcp7j8fsqZuWAhIqbHBPk1e9SsywDqsaxpoIKUvY-rBojOrFRoCcv4QAvD_BwE

IMG_1823.jpeg

IMG_7209.jpeg

IMG_7207.jpeg

For Autos, come back later I still need to figure this out my self. I think you can use the stock shifter, but you will lose some functionality like tap shift on a 6L80. There are plenty of aftermarket shifters on the market that will give full functionality, you just need to figure out how to mount it. I did buy an LS swapped XJ that had a modified stock shifter mated to a 4L60E that was just slightly off from the PRNDL indicator on the bezel. Did not bother me since all I did with it is burnouts.

Driveshafts

First off get an SYE. With that said you will now need a double cardan shaft. I used Tom Woods Drive shaft for the rear. All I had to do was take measurements per their website and they made me a real nice drive shaft and it arrived quick. The front I had a spare 4cyl drive shaft lying around from a part out and used that. It has worked but I think that there is a more optimal length I could be using instead. I will say this and so will many other people and companies, do not try and position your engine based on the stock drive shafts. It will make it way more complicated in the end, just buy new drive shafts. Below you can see the new shaft I used for the rear as well as for the front how much spline shows with I think at the time no lift and using the shaft from a 2.5 auto TJ.
IMG_1406.jpeg

IMG_6317.jpeg

Note that the front drive shaft has been hitting the exhaust for a few reasons, primarily because I messed up and moved the engine too close to the driver side. I will eventually take that pipe out and notch it but has caused a few times for the boot to yeet it self on the highways.

https://4xshaft.com/collections/jeep-tj/prod
ucts/tj-rear-drive-shaft-cv

Last edited:
Cooling System

I found the cooling system to be very simple. But with the many different engine options and the many different vehicle options and the numerous radiators you can use, your hose configuration could be different than mine. I used a early truck water pump with my Gen 3 engine and a Superior Radiator LS to TJ radiator where both ports are on the passenger side and I got it with the shroud and fan (fan is crap so do not buy that, but the shroud is good). The upper hose was a Gates 22345 and the lower was a 21615, both have to be cut at certain points but both of these hoses are available at your local auto parts stores. The heater core hoses are 28471 and 28480 cut to length on both sides. Just route those how you see fit. Next swap ill be using a factory style radiator (an upgraded aluminum one) so that if it ever blows while I am out of town, I can get a replacement to get me home from a local autoparts store.

https://www.wwwsuperiorradiator.com/jeeps_and_wranglers

IMG_0656.jpeg

IMG_0643.jpeg
For the cooling fans, the Superior Radiator supplied fan failed in a few months, I bought a Flex-A-Lite 16in fan that Orielys had displayed behind the counter and mounted it to the shroud that came with the radiator, just had to drill some holes and I used riv-nuts to mount it. I got fancy with my wiring and got some of the terminals that the early TJs PDCs use and routed a new power wire from the PDC to the fan relay. But the big thing in the end is to use a thick wire (I used 12ga I think), a 30amp fuse (I think) and a high amperage relay that was triggered by the GM PCM.

For the expansion tank, I used the factory bottle and one of the Flex-A-Lite mounting plates to mount it to an aftermarket radiator since the factory mount is integrated to the factory shroud which is probably being removed for this swap. I think going forward I want to use a better sealed bottle since when the trail gets bumpy or out at the dunes, coolant spills out the bottle.

IMG_8136.jpeg

IMG_8135.jpeg

Other may have different experiences, but I have an insulated hood with no vents and grills inserts that block a lot of airflow and I have not had any overheating issues, infact it runs too cool in the winter even with 4 of the 7 grill inserts completely blocked and a 195* thermostat. The most stress I have put on this was towing a SxS at the dunes with a locked wheel. I had to use 4L going up a long sand hill in 3rd towing this thing out. It got hot, but not dangerously hot and it got back down to operating temp quick when I stopped. So I have had no serious cooling issues when going to a V8 but how you use it and where you use it could make the difference.

Intake

You can be real basic with this and source all of your stuff from the plumbing section at your local home improvement store or real complicated and make it look factory which is what I did. I used an elbow from a early F-body (not LS) 5.7 Camaro, a universal card style (LS3) MAF housing, and straight flex tube from a 3.5 Nissan Murano, and an airbox from a 05ish Chevy Impala. Or just stick a filter on the throttle and do a speed density tune and call it done. I personally want to work on a intake that runs to the firewall and opens up in the cowl to reduce IATs and possibly less dust since after any dune trip or water crossing, I get debris all over the engine bay.

Remember to go into this knowing what you want, so do your research in advanced if you want to do speed denisity only where you can omit the MAF, or if you want to include an MAF to your setup.

IMG_4835.jpeg

IMG_8138.jpeg

IMG_6480.jpeg
Exhaust

This was definitely the biggest PITA for me since I was very specific that I wanted it somewhat quiet which I know it’s a Jeep, but I want what I want. Holley used to make a full bolt on kit from headers to exhaust tip, but has been discontinued. So your only option is custom made at this point in time. To save your self some time, just purchase a 3in tail pipe (basically from back end of skid plate to exhaust tip) and custom make the rest from there.

What I did and majority of people do is the passenger side goes straight back to the tail pipe, the driver side gets routed down towards the front and goes around the oil pan sump the goes back and merges with the passenger side down pipe. Add your mufflers and catalytic converters as needed. I have seen LS3 manifolds used a lot, which I kind of want to go to. I was fortunate to get the full Holley exhaust before it was discontinued, but I modified it a bit for my personal use (and someone ran into my garage destroying parts of it when they were lying on the ground being installed and I couldn’t get replacements). I also had an earlier setup where I used Novaks headers which are nice, but absolutely not needed and you can get similar ebay knockoffs.
IMG_6619.jpeg

IMG_6614.jpeg
Fuel System

This is probably the easiest part of the swap, even easier if you have an 05-06. LS engines require 58psi, but the stock 97-04 fuel sendining unit is regulated to about 42psi. But luckily the stock fuel pump can output enough for most stock to mild LS builds. What you need to do is bypass the stock fuel pressure regulator which is metal can thing on the sending unit. Novak and G-force Performane are the only 2 regulator bypasses I know of. The Novak bypass kit requires you drill a hole on the sending unit and add a fitting for the return, the G-force unit already has 2 ports in the bypass so no drilling required. I used the Novak with success for years, I bought but have not used yet the G-force. In addition to the bypass you now need to regulate the fuel pressure to 58psi. You can use a C5 filter/regulator if you have a returnless fuel rail on your engine, or just use the stock truck regulator if it’s a referenced return style. For awhile I used the Novak with a Summit branded C5 regulator (which leaked after 2-1/2 years and was annoyed I mounted it in a spot where I had to drop the tank). The picture below with a stock tank shows the Novak setup with thier bypass and a drilled hole in the top of the sending unit and a fitting installed for the drain from the C5 regulator.

A note about Gen 5 engines. In a factory configuration, they use a PWM pump and special controller that varies the pressure going to the fuel rail. From all that I have read, it is not required and many have had no issues supplying a fixed 58psi to a Gen 5 engine.

IMG_1249.jpeg

Here is an important note on fuel pressures and the tune. GM had 2 different style regulators for trucks. The earlier engines had a vacuum referenced regulator which was mounted to the fuel rail, where at high vacuum conditions like at idle the fuel pressure was actually reduced to 42psi. When vacuum reduced the fuel pressure would increase to 58psi. Later trucks did not have this, the fuel pressure was a flat 58psi the entire time. There is a difference in tunes between these 2 style the injector scaling was adjusted for it. So when talking to your tuner, make sure you mention what style regulator you have since it does make a difference in drivability. I ran a fixed PSI regulator on a PCM that had the reference regulator tune without making these adjustments for a long time not realizing this was a thing. As soon as I adjusted the scaling, it made a huge difference in acceleration and power delivery.

If you have an 05-06, good for you…you don’t have to do anything fancy at the fuel tank. 05-06 are regulated to 58psi. Right now I am using an 05-06 fuel sending unit since I got a used Genright tank that was from and 06. I recommend this route now just for simplicity sake. It eliminates one component from the system that can (and did for me) fail. I do not know if an 05-06 fuel sending unit will work in earlier tanks. Picture below is of a 05-06 Genright tank but is functionally the same as a stock 05-06 tank. The canister is a filter I added inline. I think it was for a 11-14 Mustang with the 5.0. It used 3/8 quick disconnect fittings like all the Jeep and GM parts use. There is no return since the housing is the regulator. But in reality you could leave everything alone at the tank end of the fuel hard line with an 05-06.

IMG_7871.jpeg
After you get the tank side figured out, just connect the supply line and return line if applicable to the fuel rail. The stock hard lines work fine. I bought a new set from a company called Fine Lines and they are a very nice set. Make sure you get the 4.0 set with a 3/8 supply and 5/16 vent. For all the lines from pump to rail, I made sure use 3/8 Fuel Injection hose that is rated for 225psi and the vent line is just 5/16 hose. I am returnless now, but when I had a short return hose from a C5 regulator, it was 5/16 fuel injection rated hose.

https://www.sstubes.com/products/wg...-5-16-return-complete-fuel-line-kit-stainless

Power Steering

This can be done in multiple ways, and I can’t just tell you what to do, but can say what I did. What I did that worked was use a Trailblazer SS PS pump (type 2) and got a fitting that presses into the reservoir port that has a nipple on it so you can run a remote reservoir. For me I just mounted a C5 reservoir on the bracket. The pressure hose is a stock hose where I had a hydraulic hose shop crimp a JIC 90* fitting (pretty much an AN fitting) and had an AN adapter on the PS pump. Used a factory return line and hooked it to the reservoir. I know this can be done better and I would have rather just done AN lines entirely, but there is not a lot of clearance from the Jeep steering box to the grille and at the time (early 2021) a lot of special fittings that could have been low clearance enough were not in stock of course from supply chain issues. I am currently working on a custom bracket that will allow the use of un-modified Jeep PS lines and use the same type of PS pump as a Jeep (Type 2) which is used on a lot of GM vehicles like the Camaros, Corvettes, Trailblazers, Cavaliers, etc. This bracket will move the PS pump higher than the stock truck location and will be close to where its mounted on a Jeep 4.0 which I have found that the PS pump was acting as my bumpstop after my first trip to the dunes so keep that in mind. The alternator will remain in a stock truck location.

IMG_2110.jpeg

IMG_2111.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

AC

Idk, still working on that. Just take your doors off or roll down the windows.

Last edited:
Wiring

This is the 500lb gorilla for most people when doing any kind of swap like this, but in reality it is not that hard at all. Just learn how to use the most basic tools, like soldering and crimping and get familiar with how to read the wiring diagrams in the resource section. There are a lot of places you can learn how to do a DIY stand alone harness, I will focus on what you need to do specifically with a TJ regardless if you make your own standalone, purchase one of the many stand alone harnesses, or use and aftermarket system like the Holley Terminator. All of these options you will need to connect a fused always hot 12v, switched 12v, some grounds. You can use the stock Jeep fuel pump relay and the fuel pump trigger from the GM PCM but all the options will typically have their own fuel pump relay so you can just splice that wire into the fuel pump power wire.

I used the factory gauges so Ill be focusing on that as well. How the stock Jeep gauge system works is all of the sensors on the engine will send the data to the PCM from the Jeep engine harness from their individual wires. From there the PCM converts all of the signals and sends them as CAN signals VIA 2 wires that goes along the firewall and leads to the gauge cluster where the gauge cluster converts that CAN signal and you get the info via the gauges. So in order to get the stock gauges to work with the LS, you have to make use the stock Jeep PCM and trick it into thinking the original engine is still in there. So to start with you are going to take the Jeep engine harness and strip it down to where the only wires left are for the Oil Pressure sensor, coolant temp sensor, cam and crank position sensor, VSS, ground wires, and power wires. The Jeep engine harness only uses 2 of the 3 connectors and you just need to de-pin all of the unneeded wires.

For the coolant temp (CTS) and oil pressure sensor (OPS), all you need to do is find a way to install them on the LS. I got a threaded adapter and installed a Jeep CTS in the opposite head of where the GM CTS is installed. You can also drill and re-tap the head to install the Jeep CTS directly as well. For the OPS, I installed an ICT Billet oil cooler adapter that mounts to the side of the oil pan and I still had to get a threaded adapter to install the Jeep sensor into the port of the oil cooler adapter.

The TACH is a little more complicated. I used the Novak Emulator. The emulator requires obviously a basic 12v and ground, but also requires the tach output from the GM PCM and then there are 2 more connections, one that splices to the Jeep cam position sensor and one for the crank position sensor. I have heard but never verified that you could potentialy splice the Jeep cam and crank sensor input wires straight to the GM tach output wires but it only works on certain year gauge clusters.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/electronics/tj-xj-crank-position-tach-emulator

Speed, voltage, and fuel are basically untouched and work exactly like factory. The Jeep VSS signal remains in place on the TC, the voltage is read off the of 12v wire that powers the Jeep PCM and the fuel level runs off of the factory sending unit. One thing I should note for manual swaps, there is no VSS signal going to the GM PCM and it helps if it does. Electronic auto options will have a GM VSS somewhere. You cannot just simply splice the Jeep VSS output to the GM VSS input since they are 2 very different signals. The Jeep VSS signal goes from 0v to I think 5v (I just know it’s a positive voltage), the GM PCM expects a signal that goes from like a 6v to -6v. It just expects to see it cross the 0v line. I made a little module that converts the Jeep VSS sginal to something the GM PCM can read. I had to go into my tuning software (hptuners) and edit the VSS parameters so it read accurate. This is not required, but it does help with tuning and just and overall better running engine.

Below you can see all the wires that are left for the 3 connector PCM to run stock gauges. Now keep in mind I went extra fancy (both pinkys out) and rerouted the wires so I crimped my own terminals on to make it way cleaner. You don’t need to do that.

For the battery wiring, I decided to be fancy (pinkys out) with it. What I did and is totally unnecessary is I took the main terminal that goes from the battery to the PDC and “uncrimped” it and used that to make my own battery harness. You could probably just use standard eye terminals. The routing is from the battery it splits off, one side to the PDC and one side to the large lug on the starter. At the PDC terminal, one side is coming from the battery and one side goes to the alternator power lug. I used 6ga wire for all of this. I just looked at both GM and Jeep wiring diagrams and just picked the largest between the 2. For the wire that goes between the alternator and PDC, you have to use what is called a fuseable link. It is basically a slow burn fuse so spikes don’t trip it but will prevent a melt down. I used the 10awg fuseable link kit as that was shown in the factory Jeep diagram.

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/product/fusible-links/

Ground wiring was simple. I pretty much kept all of the factory grounds and added a few. For the ground off of the battery, I had one 6ga wire go to the engine block (there are many places to do this, I used one of the AC mounting bosses) and one leg of it go to the firewall (I used one of the grill support mounting holes). There is no need to add grounds to the frame since there was never any grounds to the frame in its original form.

Last edited:
Cost

I cannot tell you what your cost is since every build is different. I did mine for about $6000 if you exclude all the mistakes and changes I made midway through. Mine had all new engine accessories, rebuilt 5.3, and I paid for some good quality parts. I could have skimped on a lot and reduced cost. Keep in mind I bought 80% of the parts before inflation hit hard in late 2020. I have convinced my self I can do this for less than $2500 but will be janky for sure and I may try this out one day on a basket case TJ I have lying around.

Below is a table of what I would consider mandatory but you could probably price shop or omit things. PRICES MAY NOT BE ACCURATE, I cannot constantly verify this info since things change so much any more. This also does not include all shipping and taxes. I did not add any price for the engine it self. I can get a running 5.3 with a harness all day for $500 or less, but I hear its more like $1000-1500 out west. Or you may want to rebuild with all new accessories. I would also add another $500-1000 to account for extra bits you need to purchase like hose clamps, hardware, fittings, etc. The small stuff adds up quicker than you think.

PartSource BrandPricePart #Note
Upper Rad HoseRockautoGates$ 12.9822345
Lower Rad HoseRockautoGates$ 11.2321615
Heater Core Hose 1RockautoGates$ 10.2628471
Heater Core Hose 2OreillysGates$ 25.9928480
Radiator and ShroudSuperior RadiatorSuperior Radiator$ 480.00LSSTICKWRANGLERWITHSHROUDSuperior radiator - jeeps and wranglerSALL WRANGLER V8 CONVERSION RADIATORS HAVE A 90 DAY WARRANTY AND YOU MUST USE GREEN ANTIFREZE NOT DEXCOOL (wwwsuperiorradiator.com)
Radiator FanSummitFlex-a-Lite$ 99.99105387https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-105387
Transfercase Rebuild KitRockautoUSA Standard Gear$ 75.89ZTBK231J
Slip Yoke EliminatorJB ConversionsJB Conversions$ 249.0016-1200-1942https://www.jbconversions.com/products/sye/np231j_std_sye.php
Transfercase Cable ShifterSavvySavvy$ 184.00SAV-231STransfer Case Cable Shifter Kit for the 231 - Savvy Off Road
Front DriveshaftTom WoodsTom Woods$ 389.00TJ/LJ Front Drive Shaft – Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts (4xshaft.com)
Rear DriveshaftTom WoodsTom Woods$ 389.00TJ Rear Drive Shaft, Double Cardan – Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts (4xshaft.com)
Throttle CableSummitLokar$ 86.95TC-1000LS1Lokar TC-1000LS1 Lokar Hi-Tech Throttle Cables | Summit Racing
Exhaust Manifold (LS3 Camaro)EbayUsed GM$ 300.00Price is based on what I have seen on ebay. You can find much cheaper options
Exhaust SystemDIY or Custom$ 1,000.00Price will vary on where you go to and what material.
Fuel Regulator BypassG-ForceG-Force$ 125.00GF-JFRD-V2Jeep Wrangler TJ Fuel Pressure Regulator | G Force (crossmembers.com)
Fuel RegulatorSummitSummit$ 38.99SUM-230150Summit Racing SUM-230150 Summit Racing™ Universal LS Fuel Filter Regulators | Summit Racing
Fuel Line Set MetalFine LinesFine Lines$ 60.14WGL0355SSWGL0355SS - 97-06 Wrangler TJ, 3/8 Feed with 5/16 Return; Complete Fuel Line Kit; Stainless | SSTubes
Fuel Line Rubber 3/8 225PSI 15'OreillysGates$ 51.1527349You will need around 10-15'
Fuel Line Rubber 5/16 40PSI 25'OreillysGates$ 22.0027003You will need around 10-15'
Power Steering Hi Pressure LineRockautoGates$ 28.79353840Modifications needed
Power Steering Lo Pressure LineRockautoGates$ 20.79353780
Trans Tunnel PlateSummitMopar$ 176.9952059661ACMopar Replacement 52059661AC (summitracing.com)
$ 3,838.14Total Cost in Table

Table below is the engine mount options I know of, you only need to pick one. I personally used the Novak Weld-on mounts and they work, but I like the idea of the Holley mounts and will likely try that out for my next personal swap. Remember 6 cylinder frames can use bolt-on mounts or weld-on mounts. 4 cylinder frames require weld-on mounts..

Below is the cost of using the Quick Draw Brand adapter with your own supplied transmission. I personally used a brand new AX15 that cost me about $2000 delivered to my house. Your cost on that may vary.

Trans AdapterQuick Draw BrandQuickDrawBrand$ 695.00AD-00015LS to AX15 NV3550 bellhousing adapter kit for chevy v8 to Jeep 5 speed (quickdrawbrand.com)
ClutchRockautoLUK$ 218.9904201
Trans MountAmazonCrown$ 28.9952058551
FlywheelRockautoSachs$ 88.79NFW1050
Flywheel BoltsOreilysDorman$ 16.9914112
$ 1,048.76Total Cost of Adapter SetupKeep in mind any material needed to make a custom plate to mount to the skid plate.

And one more major cost to consider is the wiring. There are 3 options to consider, the purchased standalone and new standalone you will need to have the PCMs tuned to remove the VATS which a lot of people will charge anywhere from $100 to $150 to do such a service. There is supposedly also a way to unlock the PCM for free, but it must be from a running truck. I think how it works is you need to start the engine in the vehicle then disconnect the PCM connectors while it is running.

Holley TerminatorSummitHolley$ 1,249.95There are many part numbers that depend on what features you engine may have so keep that in mind when ordering a Term X
Standalone Harness$ 600.00Plenty of options, but they are all around the $600-800 range
DIY Standalone Harness$ 180.00Can be done cheaper, this is using a quality pre-made fuse box and accounting for loom, tape, and other materials.

Things to Consider

First one is gearing. The LS makes way more torque and power than the original engine and you just do not need the same numerically higher gears like you do with the original engine to out the power to the ground. For example, I am on 31s with an AX15 and started with 3.08 gears for about a year then went to 3.73 gears. I did not notice any real increase in useable power and it was just way louder at highway speeds and more fuel consumption. I think the AX15 OD of .79 is just too short for V8s but I feel as if a 6L80 can use the same tire and gears and would be ideal since its 6th gear is 0.67 and will drop the RPMs at highway speed to a more appropriate RPM. So keep all this in mind when choosing your components like transmissions, gears, tires, etc.

Mounting the PCM was somewhat of a struggle for me since I liked everything clean. When I had the terminator X, I mounted it behind the glove box, but had to remove the pocket of the glove box so it was useless. When I went to a stock Gen 3 PCM, I mounted it below the brake booster and machined a plate that replaced the tray that was in there so it could fit a PCM mount. It is tight in there, but it does fit.

You are likely going to have to use a SYE or tear open the transfercase if sticking with a NP231J, so just plan and budget to rebuild it. I have heard lots of people say its not strong enough, and maybe that true if you used it differently than me. I am not hardcore rock crawling, I play in the sand and trails and have not had that fail. I have had other things fail.

So with that said, plan to upgrade your drivetrain. I destroyed my stock Dana 35 bearings, destroyed a 175k mile NV3550, one U-joint on my new rear drive shaft (might have been more user setup error, not the part it self), and a transmission mount. All of this in 2-1/2 years, so upgrade accordingly.

You will certainly need a cable shifter for the transfercase since in most cases the TC is moved from its stock location.

Weight of an iron block LS is very close to a Jeep 4.0 so no need to worry about suspension mods to support an LS. An aluminum block engine will take off 100lbs. Depending on where you put it, the engine will sit behind the front axle entirely so congrats its now in the league of mid engine super cars like Ferrarris, Lamborghinis, C8s, Mclarens, and the legendary 88 Fiero with 95k miles and a case of PBR in the passenger seat.

I am not a mechanic and do not have a big space to work in. I have a little more tools than the average home garage and I had no wiring experience before this swap. I was able to require everything and do a frame off restoration with my hand tools, a welder, and a engine hoist. Nothing special.

Novak is a huge wealth of knowledge on this subject and I highly recommend you look into them. However they are still trying to sell their products so keep that in mind when reading their resources. Some of the stuff is easily sourced elsewhere for less like clutches, and flywheel bolts, but they sell high quality adapters that you should consider.

Now for fuel mileage, again to reiterate the specs. Stock 5.3 with headers, TBSS intake manifold, 92mm Throttle body, AX15, 3.73 gears, 31in tires and a 2in lift. I get on average with half country highway/freeway, half city I get 16.5mpg in the summer and 14.5mpg in winter. I have gotten 18mpg often on long road trips, and have gotten 20mpg once. I think it could be better with a better highway cruising RPM.

Conclusion

Hopefully this should help. I want to make a more thorough DIY on LS swapping these, and ill be working on videos when I get closer to doing my Gen 5 5.3 swap on my LJ. My first swap took me 6 months of planning and research before its first drive, and probably another 6 months after refining everything. This second swap is taking longer, since its a customer funded swap and I am only going as fast as they send me parts money. Was it worth it? Yes, but I wish I did it a bit differently like going with a different engine and trans setup to satisfy my personal goals with it. I hope to add some Youtube videos in the post below in the future. Good luck with your swaps!

Last edited:
Reserved for future videos when I get started on my third LS TJ project.

Last edited:
Cost

I cannot tell you what your cost is since every build is different. I did mine for about $6000 if you exclude all the mistakes and changes I made midway through. Mine had all new engine accessories, rebuilt 5.3, and I paid for some good quality parts. I could have skimped on a lot and reduced cost. Below is my costs, but keep in mind I bought 80% of the parts before inflation hit hard in late 2020. I have convinced my self I can do this for less than $2500 but will be janky for sure and I may try this out one day on a basket case TJ I have lying around.

Things to Consider

First one is gearing. The LS makes way more torque and power than the original engine and you just do not need the same numerically higher gears like you do with the original engine to out the power to the ground. For example, I am on 31s with an AX15 and started with 3.08 gears for about a year then went to 3.73 gears. I did not notice any real increase in useable power and it was just way louder at highway speeds and more fuel consumption. I think the AX15 OD of .79 is just too short for V8s but I feel as if a 6L80 can use the same tire and gears and would be ideal since its 6th gear is 0.67 and will drop the RPMs at highway speed to a more appropriate RPM. So keep all this in mind when choosing your components like transmissions, gears, tires, etc.

Mounting the PCM was somewhat of a struggle for me since I liked everything clean. When I had the terminator X, I mounted it behind the glove box, but had to remove the pocket of the glove box so it was useless. When I went to a stock Gen 3 PCM, I mounted it below the brake booster and machined a plate that replaced the tray that was in there so it could fit a PCM mount. It is tight in there, but it does fit.

You are likely going to have to use a SYE or tear open the transfercase if sticking with a NP231J, so just plan and budget to rebuild it. I have heard lots of people say its not strong enough, and maybe that true if you used it differently than me. I am not hardcore rock crawling, I play in the sand and trails and have not had that fail. I have had other things fail.

So with that said, plan to upgrade your drivetrain. I destroyed my stock Dana 35 bearings, destroyed a 175k mile NV3550, one U-joint on my new rear drive shaft (might have been more user setup error, not the part it self), and a transmission mount. All of this in 2-1/2 years, so upgrade accordingly.

You will certainly need a cable shifter for the transfercase since in most cases the TC is moved from its stock location.

Weight of an iron block LS is very close to a Jeep 4.0 so no need to worry about suspension mods to support an LS. An aluminum block engine will take off 100lbs. Depending on where you put it, the engine will sit behind the front axle entirely so congrats its now in the league of mid engine super cars like Ferrarris, Lamborghinis, C8s, Mclarens, and the legendary 88 Fiero with 95k miles and a case of PBR in the passenger seat.

I am not a mechanic and do not have a big space to work in. I have a little more tools than the average home garage and I had no wiring experience before this swap. I was able to require everything and do a frame off restoration with my hand tools, a welder, and a engine hoist. Nothing special.

Novak is a huge wealth of knowledge on this subject and I highly recommend you look into them. However they are still trying to sell their products so keep that in mind when reading their resources. Some of the stuff is easily sourced elsewhere for less like clutches, and flywheel bolts, but they sell high quality adapters that you should consider.

Now for fuel mileage, again to reiterate the specs. Stock 5.3 with headers, TBSS intake manifold, 92mm Throttle body, AX15, 3.73 gears, 31in tires and a 2in lift. I get on average with half country highway/freeway, half city I get 16.5mpg in the summer and 14.5mpg in winter. I have gotten 18mpg often on long road trips, and have gotten 20mpg once. I think it could be better with a better highway cruising RPM.

Conclusion

Hopefully this should help. I want to make a more thorough DIY on LS swapping these, and ill be working on videos when I get closer to doing my Gen 5 5.3 swap on my LJ. My first swap took me 6 months of planning and research before its first drive, and probably another 6 months after refining everything. This second swap is taking longer, since its a customer funded swap and I am only going as fast as they send me parts money. Was it worth it? Yes, but I wish I did it a bit differently like going with a different engine and trans setup to satisfy my personal goals with it. I hope to add some Youtube videos in the post below in the future. Good luck with your swaps!

Thanks ! It's nice to get a no bullshit assessment from someone who will tell you what not to try based on their experience.
Great write up , and photos will only make it better. Thanks XCRN !

Nice write up.
question though, is it possible to move the engine forward to help with tail shaft length.
I’ve contemplated doing an L67 (supercharged V6) with 4L60E swap, reasonably easy to get over here🇦🇺. Thought if I was able to move the engine forward I could have a slightly longer tail shaft.

Serious question -

How fun is having that engine?

Is it hard to handle the power with the short wheelbase or a who cares it’s a v8 get out of the way deal?

To me it seems like it’s a ball.

Reactions: Rickyd
Nice write up.
question though, is it possible to move the engine forward to help with tail shaft length.
I’ve contemplated doing an L67 (supercharged V6) with 4L60E swap, reasonably easy to get over here🇦🇺. Thought if I was able to move the engine forward I could have a slightly longer tail shaft.

Not really, as you will quickly run into the radiator.

Your valid response may be that the LS (or a real V8 like the Hemi 🙂) is shorter than the I6 - which is correct. The problem is that the stock TJ firewall is recessed in the center to allow the narrower I6 to be mounted further back. When you put an 8 in there it needs to be mounted farther forward to allow the heads to clear the firewall.

But you would have more room with a V6 - just not as much as you would think due to the reason above.

So by default you are creating more room for the drive shaft (assuming the tranny you use with the 8 or the V6 is about the same length as the stock tranny).

Serious question -

How fun is having that engine?

Is it hard to handle the power with the short wheelbase or a who cares it’s a v8 get out of the way deal?

To me it seems like it’s a ball.

So its really not as much power as you would expect with a stock 5.3 but it does accelerate way faster and can win a few redlight races. Very easy to handle when giving it gas, though for a month I had no rear sway bar and I could feel the front corner lift when accelerating hard. Gotta be careful in ice because it will spin tires quickly and lose control. Its great on the highway though, no need to down shift to pass and keeps up with 80+mph traffic easily. But its a blast in the dunes!

Not really, as you will quickly run into the radiator.

Your valid response may be that the LS (or a real V8 like the Hemi 🙂) is shorter than the I6 - which is correct. The problem is that the stock TJ firewall is recessed in the center to allow the narrower I6 to be mounted further back. When you put an 8 in there it needs to be mounted farther forward to allow the heads to clear the firewall.

But you would have more room with a V6 - just not as much as you would think due to the reason above.

So by default you are creating more room for the drive shaft (assuming the tranny you use with the 8 or the V6 is about the same length as the stock tranny).

Jeff is correct here. When I'd had my V-8 swap done it was right after I'd been wounded so I paid a shop to do it for me & they moved my engine forward to supposedly help with reaching the distributor and exhaust routing. Now with the larger engine I'm running I got a larger radiator and I'm now running into clearance issues between the engine & the electric fan. Other people that had followed Advanced Adapters instructions on where to place the motor mounts could use a mechanical fan on their swaps.
In the Magnum V-8 swap thread there were people who dented the firewall to allow the engine to sit farther back as to not need new driveshafts. This of course made reaching the distributor more difficult. This isn't an issue for the newer engines that are distributor-less.