5-speed vs 6-speed

I have the magnaflow on mine and love it. Easy to install yourself too.

+1 on Magnaflow.

I had one on one of my XJs and it has a nice rumble on the 4.0L without being obnoxious or overbearing after a 3 hour drive. I've installed lots of different exhausts on both my own and family/friends' Jeeps over the years, and if it's anything besides a trail rig you want to be on the quieter side. Maybe turning 30 has made me old, or frequent migraines has made me sensitive, but most loud exhausts sound cool to me for about a week. Loved the stainless steel construction on the Magnaflow also.

It's not speed, it's RPMs. I know that's splitting hairs, but the reality has to do with the power band.

View attachment 179737

Looking at this, it's time to shift right about 3500 RPM. Regardless of the transmission. If you're lucky enough to have a TJ with a shift idiot light, that light will come on based on the vacuum draw, indicating either slow or hard acceleration. When I had my TJ, I tried to moderate economy by shifting before the light came on. After a while, ended up with CEL. Don't recall the code, but I think it was some kind of lean condition. Started shifting at higher RPMs and the CEL cleared. Could just be coincidence. CELs on these things seem to come and go with the wind.
Wow. I usually upshift around 2000-2500 in town, 3000 when getting on the freeway. 3500 would be a panic on my part. I'm in 5th cruising at 45, and 6th at cruising anything higher. I'll have to take note next time, but on a freeway merge where I'm not having to accelerate hard, I'm probably in 6th around 55-60 and accelerate (moderately) to 70-75 from there. The 4.0 pulls nicely from lower RPMs, which is as it should be.

To be clear, I'm not saying my way is correct, just adding to the conversation. I'm also not into the throttle much at the lower RPMs.

Reactions: Queticon
I haven't driven an AX15 in probably 10 years but I had one in my 91 XJ and now I'm in an LJ with the NSG370. They are both geared differently, but in the XJ I ran 33's on 3.07's and then 4.56. In the LJ I'm on 33's and 3.73's and it is sooo much better so that gets my vote. I don't really get into a ton of rock crawling so at the moment I'm not too itchy to regear. I can however see how some would think that first is useless, especially on stock tires, but on 33's I can use all 6 gears, accelerate nicely, and still cruise at 80 and hold 75 uphill.

...I can however see how some would think that first is useless, especially on stock tires...
Heck, I don't think first is low enough (in hi range) - and reverse certainly isn't. I really want the Tera-2Low mod, but hesitate because of the PITA it would be to put it in (for me).

This may not be popular, but Chris has given me a special exemption from harsh criticism during Covid 19, as long as I wear a mask when I log in-

Here's my opinion - get an automatic.

Why? They absolutely rock in a TJ. I have a manual 5 speed Rubi and just sold my automatic Rubi because of a great offer I got out of the blue -I may never buy another manual. It was a joy.

At the same time, @Plumber1 runs a manual and he wheels tough stuff and his TJ is the poster vehicle for coolness. The 6 speed feels notchy to me , the 5 speed 3550 has a terribly long throw , and the AX 15 is about perfect in many respects, in my opinion.

Good luck. This is the first time I've seen the word drone on here. We will be watching you.

Reactions: Flivver250
This may not be popular, but Chris has given me a special exemption from harsh criticism during Covid 19, as long as I wear a mask when I log in-

Here's my opinion - get an automatic.

Why? They absolutely rock in a TJ. I have a manual 5 speed Rubi and just sold my automatic Rubi because of a great offer I got out of the blue -I may never buy another manual. It was a joy.

At the same time, @Plumber1 runs a manual and he wheels tough stuff and his TJ is the poster vehicle for coolness. The 6 speed feels notchy to me , the 5 speed 3550 has a terribly long throw , and the AX 15 is about perfect in many respects, in my opinion.

Good luck. This is the first time I've seen the word drone on here. We will be watching you.

I think for rock crawling an automatic is much easier. I came from XJs though, which had the bullet proof AW4 and the automatic options on a TJ seemed pretty weak in comparison. The 30RH (really, a 3 speed in the late 90's) and the 42RLE aren't exactly modern transmissions. I'm happy with the AX-15, and added a B&M short throw shifter on mine which makes everything even more direct feeling. I'm used to BMWs and their notchy gearboxes though.

Wow. I usually upshift around 2000-2500 in town, 3000 when getting on the freeway. 3500 would be a panic on my part. I'm in 5th cruising at 45, and 6th at cruising anything higher. I'll have to take note next time, but on a freeway merge where I'm not having to accelerate hard, I'm probably in 6th around 55-60 and accelerate (moderately) to 70-75 from there. The 4.0 pulls nicely from lower RPMs, which is as it should be.

To be clear, I'm not saying my way is correct, just adding to the conversation. I'm also not into the throttle much at the lower RPMs.

the chart was simply to show where you’ll find the most torque. Sure, these 4 liters are torquey, but that doesn’t mean consistently “lugging” the engine is a good thing. I would agree about not always shifting at 3500 rpm, but shifting too early can also cause problems. Especially under load.

the chart was simply to show where you’ll find the most torque. Sure, these 4 liters are torquey, but that doesn’t mean consistently “lugging” the engine is a good thing. I would agree about not always shifting at 3500 rpm, but shifting too early can also cause problems. Especially under load.
That all would be correct. Shifting "low" means light throttle! The 4.0 will turn just fine without lugging around 1200-1500 under light throttle/load. Heavier throttle and/or load will indeed cause lugging.

Heck, I don't think first is low enough (in hi range) - and reverse certainly isn't. I really want the Tera-2Low mod, but hesitate because of the PITA it would be to put it in (for me).
I totally agree about reverse. I've owned a lot of manuals and driven even more and I've never found one that reverse is low enough to where I can just let the clutch out and back up. My Tacoma on the other hand holy shit. THAT is a high reverse.

Reactions: Zorba
I was fortunate to own a 5spd TJR and a 6spd LJR at the same time. They were both fine, but I preferred the feel of the 6speed, with the exception that, yes, first gear seemed too short. I'm going from 31 1/2" to 33" tires on the 6spd LJR so I expect that issue to be solved.

Also, yeah, don't straight pipe it. It's virtually a tractor engine, not an LS3.

I totally agree about reverse. I've owned a lot of manuals and driven even more and I've never found one that reverse is low enough to where I can just let the clutch out and back up.
I have no idea why reverse - on anything/everything - is so darn high. An exception is my beloved SM-420 with 6.78 in reverse. SM-465 isn't quite as good, but pretty respectable at 6.09. The NSG370 is only 4.06 - WHY? Fanning the clutch is no fun, I wouldn't complain if reverse was 10:1!

It's not speed, it's RPMs. I know that's splitting hairs, but the reality has to do with the power band.

View attachment 179737

Looking at this, it's time to shift right about 3500 RPM. Regardless of the transmission. If you're lucky enough to have a TJ with a shift idiot light, that light will come on based on the vacuum draw, indicating either slow or hard acceleration. When I had my TJ, I tried to moderate economy by shifting before the light came on. After a while, ended up with CEL. Don't recall the code, but I think it was some kind of lean condition. Started shifting at higher RPMs and the CEL cleared. Could just be coincidence. CELs on these things seem to come and go with the wind.

Is "lucky" meant to be sarcastic or is that light actually considered a desirable feature? I hate mine. If I wanted the car to decide when to shift I'd have bought an automatic.