8.8 for $100

There are some who like the 8.8 axle for replacing a Dana 35 but it is no longer as popular of a swap. There's a LOT of work to get it mounted, and a lot of expense too if you're not a welder-fabricator. Not to mention it has such a big pumpkin that it reduces ground clearance together with an offset pinion location that forces the driveshaft to work into a compound angle.

Reactions: Chris
Seems like a good deal, yes.

However, after reading up about the 8.8 swaps, I wouldn't personally ever do one myself. Still, it's a good deal for someone who is willing to do the work!

With truss kits like the Artec, and so many others out there. You do not need to be a fabricator by any means. You can also tack the items in place and have a pro burn em on. Not to mention the disc brakes your getting in the rear. Its absolutely worth it. Look at how much people spend on pre built axles. Ill take my slightly bigger pumpkin and so called offset driveline. First time I really heard of this, so im looking into it. You see more good than bad with this swap.

Last edited:
If I were in that situation, I would prefer a Super35 over an 8.8. I drag my Dana 44 enough as it is.

If I were in that situation, I would prefer a Super35 over an 8.8. I drag my Dana 44 enough as it is.
Same here, there are reasons that the 8.8 is no longer a popular swap. Someone could give me an 8.8 for free and I wouldn't accept it.

And yes Timbo its pinion is offset to the side of where the TJ's 231 output shaft is positioned.