$9,000 to much for 00' TJ Sport with 150k miles?

And you'll know that the work wasn't done by a backyard mechanic.
Don't get me wrong, alot of people can do great work on their own, but its hard to convince a buyer that "you" know what you are doing.
I would offer him (her) 7K and see what they say!
I have a Harley as well, and the one thing I learned is, just because you put a shit ton of extras on it doesn't make it worth more.
Same goes with modded jeeps, trucks and cars imo.
I agree! But if he has the OE parts it means he probably built it himself. I would ask if he is a mchanic to ensure he built it correctly. I work on my cars/jeeps/bikes too but I am by no means a mechanic.

Reactions: Chris
I bought mine out of Fort Wayne as well, they arent all junk, but they can be. Bring a hammer and smack on the frame in a bunch of places, listening for the metal to sound flat. It's it's rusty, it won't ring.

I personally didn't look at anything with tires bigger than 33 either, just because at that point, it's difficult and expensive to get it right. Most people won't do it right, so you'll end up with a vehicle that doesn't have very good road manners.

I like stock, unmolested vehicles...then I have a blank canvas and only have to undo poor maintenance...and not deal with poorly thought out mods.

it all depends on the feeling you get from the guy. Is he a straight shooter, or trying to sell you his problems?

9k isn't terrible, but not great either.

Reactions: dangjalopy
I know if I buy a stock jeep it will remain stock. My wife will always find something else to use the money on. And, i'll end up with a stock jeep that im not totally happy with ya know. That's why I'd like to buy something that has some mods. Like i said im new to the jeep game. So just trying to load up on as much knowledge as possible. You guys have been great so fat. Giving me lots to think about.

Best thing to do is not rush. I just bought my first jeep last October. I must have looked at a dozen or more pieces of crap until I found "the one". Unfortunately, people aren't always truthful (imagine that) in their descriptions in ads, in hopes to get you to come look at it. Take your time and you won't regret it. good luck!

Reactions: dangjalopy
I am going to look at the jeep on Sunday. He did say the motor has developed a knock, and he is going to have to motor replaced. I'm not sure if a shop is doing the work or if he plans to do it. I will get all the info. I can on Sunday. Thanks for all your help so far. I'll be looking for more input on Sunday. He did say he is will to negotiate on price some.

Let us know how it turns out. And remember, if it's rusted out underneath, it's not worth ANY amount of money (unless you want a massive project).

I'm going to look at this one today. Says the frame has been repaired. I asked him who did the work, and it was done by a guy that has a custom exhaust shop that is well known for doing good work. The body has 120,000 on it but the motor has 15,000. Not sure who did the motor though.
Screenshot_20170518-130558.png

The X came factory with the Dana 35 rear end and no option for the 44. If he is running 35's without a Super35 kit that rear end doesn't have long for this world.

The X came factory with the Dana 35 rear end and no option for the 44. If he is running 35's without a Super35 kit that rear end doesn't have long for this world.
Thanks for that info. I was surprised that he was running 35s with not much lift. Seems to me that 33s would fit the look much nicer. Thought maybe I could work a trade on tires with someone soon. I'll be sure to see how long he has been driving with the 35s on it.

Reactions: JP98
I am always skeptical of built Wranglers for sale. I would rather find one that is 100% bone stock and unmolested, with a good history.

That way you know that it hasn't been beat to shit and built improperly like a lot of these are. I'm not saying they are all that way, but I would be willing to bet that a good majority of these "built" Wranglers, have serious issues, and were probably built very, very poorly.

Reactions: Ron505 and StG58
When you are trying to compare Jeeps it is best to not add value to things like lift, gears, SYE or anything that could have been installed wrong. Just look at the Jeep like they are not even on it because you may have to replace them. The things that you can kind of add value to the Jeep would be things like a GOOD quality winch "Warn" or that level, quality bumpers, quality tires/wheels and add-ons like that. But they must be quality items that you would want to put on yourself. If they are cheap "Smittybilt" or that level then you can expect to replace them at some time in the future.

Reactions: Ron505 and StG58
And like Chris said. Look for signs of excessive abuse and lack of love. Mud left in the frame. Bent places on the under carriage where there is no business of bent places being and rust rust and rust.

Very good point. If you see a used Wrangler for sale and it has quality parts on it (i.e. Savvy, Currie, Warn, etc.), then you know that whoever owned it really cared about it and put some serious money into it.

On the contrary, if you notice it's got lots of lower budget parts like Smittybilt, Rusty's, Rough Country, Skyjacker, etc., that usually means it was owned by someone that was trying to save money. Not that saving money is a bad thing, but generally those lower quality parts don't add any value to the Jeep at all.

So that's something to consider as well!