9310 experience / longevity concerns?

I don’t know why your so defensive about this.

So you want my bother to reach out to Georgia power to get contract copies and receipts for specialty built brush fire trucks they made from older 2wd 7300 trucks years ago? ain’t gonna happen. I ant avoiding your weird requests, but I can’t answer it ether.

like I quoted before(in quotes you must have missed it. “9310 is not meant for daily drivers because constant speeds and traveling long distances on the road will result in severe wear and premature gear failure.”
Thats from us gear, a USA company making gears in the us. All other company’s aren’t as transparent. Like strange making the 10”(9.5”) 3rds for Gearworks. We will never know who gets what from where besides us gear.

What brand gears did you buy and what ratio?
I guess I should have asked first, is GearWorks no good?

The added Ingredients make it “soft.”

Hardness and tensile strength of heat treated steel is a product of the treatment.

I don't have experience with the two alloys in automotive applications, but I do for knife making. They are considered budget options, and are interchangeable based solely on price. The very slight difference in composition is irrelevant when you're going to heat treat it anyway.

I can't think of any reason why properly manufactured gears would fail just by driving down the highway. There's only three ways I know of to have gears fail.

1. Cook the oil and keep going until lack of lubrication does them in.

2. Improper install/setup.

3. Crappy steel that fails to meet specs.

#3 is the only one to worry about here and I would expect that the two alloys would easily meet basic specs. Personally I'd use either one and worry about the reputation of the manufacturer instead.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
There's only three ways I know of to have gears fail.

1. Cook the oil and keep going until lack of lubrication does them in.

2. Improper install/setup.

3. Crappy steel that fails to meet specs.

#3 is the only one to worry about here and I would expect that the two alloys would easily meet basic specs. Personally I'd use either one and worry about the reputation of the manufacturer instead.
The only devoted USA gear manufacture states otherwise. Don’t know how you missed my quote from them twice. You need to add a 4th reason, the gears wear out.
They don’t heat treat the whole gear, they just carburize the surface to get a Rockwell hardness similiar to heat treated 8620 to hold off wear as much as possible. But that’s info from us gear, they are fairly transparent compared to all other gear companies out there.

I’m not upset, I’m simply defending facts and you are sharing opinions and stories that cant be corroborated. You post are of hear say, nothing to back up what you are saying with the exception of a copy/paste from US Gear’s website

triggered

No mention if you talked to anyone in the gear industry. However, I was able to post the owner of Gearworks as he shared his insight on 9310’s longevity.

So you asked originally who has insight on 9310 gears but you already knew everything about it through research with the exception of what US gear states about their 9310 gears.
Who makes gear works gears? heat treated process and location of manufacturing facility? Link?
You don’t need to answer the questions, but it’s hard to converse with someone who is devoted to a company but yet wants insight on 9310 gears in general.

@mrblaine any expierence with 9310’s on a rear setup? Setup concerns? Longevity concerns?

See...you asked and I supplied info straight from a horses mouth(US Gear). So why you so mad about this?

And the fact that the Ultimate Summer Camp Jeep runs them just fine. Even after hundreds and hundreds of miles on the...road.
I believe you, and I’m sure you could get some miles out of a 9310 gear set. But how much? You keep referring to the summer camp Jeep. How many miles does he have?
But back to the original post. You asked and now your fighting me over what Ive experienced and found on the Internet.
Gear works seems cool, but who and where are their gears made and are they heat treated different compared to the us gear. If so why? How deep is the heat treat?

Dana/Spicer manufacture their gear sets in the good ole’ USA. With the exception of some of their SVL stuff.
Dude. That’s why I said “devoted” It’s a keyword in the sentence.
Your second sentence directly invalidates your first sentence.
it should read: Dana/spicer manufactures SOME of their gear sets in the USA.

Im open to other brands who can support a amboid cut rear gearset. Its just a little more rare. Gearworks has done a lot of collab with stange and US gear to provide solutions for what they are building for their customers.

Im open to other brands who can support a amboid cut rear gearset. Its just a little more rare. Gearworks has done a lot of collab with stange and US gear to provide solutions for what they are building for their customers.
Seems as though you did a little more research once I mentioned strange building products for Gearworks....hahah.
I like how you avoided my earlier questions too. I’m guessing you don’t have gear sets on order either.

Seems as though you did a little more research once I mentioned strange building products for Gearworks....hahah.
I like how you avoided my earlier questions too. I’m guessing you don’t have gear sets on order either.
GearWorks has their cases on their website with the Strange branding cast right into it. ;) No surprise or research was needed there.

Some Jeeps have requirements that call for more than one ring and pinion gear. Front and rear.

Thanks for all your input and opinions.
My quote from us gear is starting to make sense now that your digging more. I didn’t reveal my hand at first but it’s making sense now that I quoted us gear. So how is it that us gear and Gearworks have differnt opinions on 9310 gear longevity if they both have the same gear sets in their hands....

My quote from us gear is starting to make sense now that your digging more. I didn’t reveal my hand at first but it’s making sense now that I quoted us gear. So how is it that us gear and Gearworks have differnt opinions on 9310 gear longevity if they both have the same gear sets in their hands....
Its a bit of a stretch for an example but Currie recommends a 35 as their recommend max tire size on their 44’s. (From their website) But plenty of people go bigger without issues with premature wear/longevity and breakage.

My mind was made up once I placed the order. I was ok with the idea of being a genuine pig with an order. I just thought I would ask anyways.
You got your gears from who? 9310 or 8620? Is their someting in ur personality that what’s to portray mysteriousness about urself or something?

B155674B-EE8D-4C22-8240-0F9B538F54ED.jpeg

The only devoted USA gear manufacture states otherwise. Don’t know how you missed my quote from them twice. You need to add a 4th reason, the gears wear out.
They don’t heat treat the whole gear, they just carburize the surface to get a Rockwell hardness similiar to heat treated 8620 to hold off wear as much as possible. But that’s info from us gear, they are fairly transparent compared to all other gear companies out there.

Whatever. Bottom line, whatever steel they're made from if I bought gears that just "wore out" from normal use anywhere short of 200k miles I would consider them to be defective.