97 A/C sliders to 99 A/C dials (let the fun begin)

Well son of of ...... apparently the 97 jeep has a different cigarette lighter than the 1998+ ...... looks like I have more parts in my future.

What's the difference?
97 connection

16435523703045763143946350317934.jpg

99 connection
16435524368355806177278663787188.jpg

Day 5..... let the problems show.....

Well I started today with the hopes of getting everything working.......

Installed the new dash harness in lots of zip ties. Didn't want to brake the plastic harness ties.
20220130_115439.jpg

Then with the wife's help we hung it and I tossed a couple of bolts to keep it from coming out.

20220130_121010.jpg

Then I did nothing for a long while.

But eventually I installed the steering wheel and new AC control. Where the ac panel fits will need to be slightly modified a couple holds drill for the pins. Tossed the battery in and said a few prayers.
20220130_152352.jpg

She fired right up. Blinkers work,parking lights work, ac control works!!!!!! Blend doors work!!!!!

Unfortunately now is where the problems start. No headlights.

I have power inside the cab. Unfortunately not where it needs to be. I have a new connector that doesn't have a mate. For some reason Jeep thought it was a good idea to add it.

I would love to just change the engine harness but that will require a new engine and pcm. That is a bit much.

So over the next few days I will be looking into how I need to re pin to get headlights. I'll be damned it I'm going to splice anything :)

Picture of the new connector
20220130_152401.jpg

Reactions: Jamison C
Day 6 ....... ( it's been a while)

So I got most everything working. No headlights (yet) and I believe the Blower moter resistor is bad. I do have hi but nothing else.

I did have to drill 2 new holes for the new ax controller and drag the left 2 holes to the right to line up. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures.

20220208_152518.jpg

Later today I will be reinstalling the front seats.

Tomorrow I am going to try to get it down and charged up. Of course after I replace the resistor. I have my old one.

I few little things that are going to be worked on.

1. Need to get the head lights working I have a plan......(spoilers)

2. The airbag light is on...... I was careful and didn't move the steering wheel while it was out. But for now I am leaving the panels off so I can test it later. ( I probably broke the clock spring )

3. Need to get the fog lights working again.

4. Install the cargo net so the pup doesn't fly out.

5. Discourage anyone from doing this.........

I knew what I was getting into and the additional upgrades that I achieved "MIGHT" be worth it. I added the ability to have rear defrost and wiper controls.

I was able to replace the harness that many others has hacked and slashed for 25+years.

And it was something that I wanted to do. The Only reason I bought this 97 was the smoking deal. When I was looking I was dead set against a 97/98 just because I don't like the ac control.

Hopefully tomorrow I will bring good news and the AC will be blowing cold.

Day 7 ....... ( major setbacks )

The other day I had the A/C charged. But I have no control over the ac clutch. After digging through the 99 wiring diagram I found out that they moved the AC clutch to a different connector. The same connector that my headlights was moved to. Along with a couple others . IE rear defrost and such.

The fix I selected was just get a 99 under hood harness. Well the engine harness connectors are different. ( of course ) So I stole the idea from @Jamison C and grab a piece of peg board and zip tied the two harness to it. Thankfully jeep did not change the colors. So for the next bit I will be putting on my avionics hat and building me a custom harness.

20220210_205405.jpg

So over the next few days I will be looking into how I need to re pin to get headlights. I'll be damned it I'm going to splice anything :)
My dude, I love that can-do attitude!

The only issue I see with this approach (which isn't to say it's the wrong approach at all) is that if anyone ever has to look at this wiring again, they're going to be thoroughly confused when they compare the 97 pinouts in the FSM to what your harness will have. Which is only to say that sometimes a splice is not only the easier path to completion but also a signpost for the next person that says "something was done here, heads up." Of course that something was usually Bubba & his bag of wirenuts, but there's something to be said for boogered up wiring that puts the next person on high alert. Factory looking wiring can result in serious frustration as suddenly the actual wires deviate from the FSM.

If it were me, I think I would splice around the connector (probably with a new weatherpak connector or something) to make it look well-done but also highlight that you have some non-factory wiring. But I'll respect you either way. :love::love:

My dude, I love that can-do attitude!

The only issue I see with this approach (which isn't to say it's the wrong approach at all) is that if anyone ever has to look at this wiring again, they're going to be thoroughly confused when they compare the 97 pinouts in the FSM to what your harness will have. Which is only to say that sometimes a splice is not only the easier path to completion but also a signpost for the next person that says "something was done here, heads up." Of course that something was usually Bubba & his bag of wirenuts, but there's something to be said for boogered up wiring that puts the next person on high alert. Factory looking wiring can result in serious frustration as suddenly the actual wires deviate from the FSM.

If it were me, I think I would splice around the connector (probably with a new weatherpak connector or something) to make it look well-done but also highlight that you have some non-factory wiring. But I'll respect you either way. :love::love:
The problem with just putting on the connectors is they moved the location of where the engine harness attached. The top harness is the 99. The bottom is the 97. I would have to extend the wires anyway.

The major problem with the 97's wiring diagram is they changed the harness mid production. I have to look through 97 and 98 manuals to get the proper connectors. I have a build date of 6/97 so my jeep is a major pain in the rear. Half of the parts are 97 and half are 98.

Edit ... on a side note. Some day I will be doing a complete rebuild and paint. Once I do u will probably do an motor and transmission swap

The problem with just putting on the connectors is they moved the location of where the engine harness attached. The top harness is the 99. The bottom is the 97. I would have to extend the wires anyway.

The major problem with the 97's wiring diagram is they changed the harness mid production. I have to look through 97 and 98 manuals to get the proper connectors. I have a build date of 6/97 so my jeep is a major pain in the rear. Half of the parts are 97 and half are 98.

I'm familiar with the variances in the engine harness from 97 to 99, but this is the first I've heard that there are variations on the harness mid 97. I guess it makes some sense, there are variations everywhere else on early 97's.

I'm familiar with the variances in the engine harness from 97 to 99, but this is the first I've heard that there are variations on the harness mid 97. I guess it makes some sense, there are variations everywhere else on early 97's.
Here is a bad picture of the early 97 under dash wiring harness

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3246916967...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

My old under dash harness has the light connection for the airbag. And to my knowledge it wasn't a option to turn off the airbag until 98

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Day 7 ....... ( major setbacks )

The other day I had the A/C charged. But I have no control over the ac clutch. After digging through the 99 wiring diagram I found out that they moved the AC clutch to a different connector. The same connector that my headlights was moved to. Along with a couple others . IE rear defrost and such.

The fix I selected was just get a 99 under hood harness. Well the engine harness connectors are different. ( of course ) So I stole the idea from @Jamison C and grab a piece of peg board and zip tied the two harness to it. Thankfully jeep did not change the colors. So for the next bit I will be putting on my avionics hat and building me a custom harness.

View attachment 308884
I’d like to add to this and I wish I had done the same. If you’re going to de loom the harness, trace around it with a sharpee so you still have the original shape down. My wiring moved around so much that while I have the general shape, I won’t be able to loom it in until I have the transmission to put the harness over.

Reactions: Boinked
Day 8-9.... ( it lives )

Spent the better part of yesterday getting everything put into the new wiring harness. BIG THANKS to @Jamison C his idea worked wonders for me. Was able to tape up the new harness and put the covers on it. Tossed it in the Jeep and got the connectors all hooked up. Then I couldn't find the nut for the power to the PDC
200.gif

So I waited until morning and ran down to ACE and grabbed one. And zip ties and more M5 nuts to attach to the firewall. Then to orileys to get a repair kit for the vacuum line I broke..... ( yes I'm dumb )

20220214_165635.jpg

Got it installed and said a little prayer to the maintenance gods. Turned the key and she fired right up. Pulled out the headlights and they worked. Turned on the AC and ........ nothing.

At this point I just wanted to go for a drive. So I installed the Smittybilt cargo net because I was taking my best friend with me

20220214_165859.jpg

Well he enjoyed the ride. But I forgot to take pictures of him. He sure did love sticking his head out of the Jeep.

Well after I got home and rested I grabbed the power probe and went to figure out what the hell I did wrong. ( because it was always going to be my fault ). Went straight to the compressor and injected voltage. She came to life. So I back probed the high pressure switch and it was good. I checked the AC command signal out of the harness ND it was good. Pulled the relay and tested the powers...... that's when I found the missing power from the inside fuse box. Thankfully I have the wiring diagram. It was fuse 7. But the AC box says that fuse is for back up lamp and ABS. I must have a 2000 airbox not a 99. Replaced the 10A and she is running good.
20220214_165652.jpg

So in conclusion....... while I did get what I wanted. It was a major project and cost me more than I care to admit to.

But now I still have lots of clean up items to complete.
1. The AIrbag light is on. —- still need to test the clock spring.

2. Need to get a new body harness with hardtop wiring.

3. Need to find a good hardtop.

4. Need to wiper arms. I bent one removing the cover a while back.

5. still need to locate some carpet push retainers for the fire wall.

6 need to mount the new under hood light.

I'm sure I'm missing a few hundred other things. But the AC dials work and just in time. It's pushing 80+ out here and won't be long until the 100's

Good luck with item #3 unless you’re looking to spend $2k. Can’t believe what people are asking for hard tops now.

Nice job with everything else. My transmission comes back next week so we can see if my wiring is correct.

Good luck with item #3 unless you’re looking to spend $2k. Can’t believe what people are asking for hard tops now.

Nice job with everything else. My transmission comes back next week so we can see if my wiring is correct.
Long term goals are the best goals. Hopefully by the end of the summer I will have a new garage built in the back yard. Then I will be more inclined to get one. I will have the storage for it.

Reactions: Jamison C
I'm jealous of your current weather and your ability to work on your Jeep outside. 17° here yesterday with close to 30" of snow on the ground. There's no doing anything outside!!!

Day 8-9.... ( it lives )

Spent the better part of yesterday getting everything put into the new wiring harness. BIG THANKS to @Jamison C his idea worked wonders for me. Was able to tape up the new harness and put the covers on it. Tossed it in the Jeep and got the connectors all hooked up. Then I couldn't find the nut for the power to the PDC View attachment 309771

So I waited until morning and ran down to ACE and grabbed one. And zip ties and more M5 nuts to attach to the firewall. Then to orileys to get a repair kit for the vacuum line I broke..... ( yes I'm dumb )

View attachment 309765

Got it installed and said a little prayer to the maintenance gods. Turned the key and she fired right up. Pulled out the headlights and they worked. Turned on the AC and ........ nothing.

At this point I just wanted to go for a drive. So I installed the Smittybilt cargo net because I was taking my best friend with me

View attachment 309766

Well he enjoyed the ride. But I forgot to take pictures of him. He sure did love sticking his head out of the Jeep.

Well after I got home and rested I grabbed the power probe and went to figure out what the hell I did wrong. ( because it was always going to be my fault ). Went straight to the compressor and injected voltage. She came to life. So I back probed the high pressure switch and it was good. I checked the AC command signal out of the harness ND it was good. Pulled the relay and tested the powers...... that's when I found the missing power from the inside fuse box. Thankfully I have the wiring diagram. It was fuse 7. But the AC box says that fuse is for back up lamp and ABS. I must have a 2000 airbox not a 99. Replaced the 10A and she is running good.
View attachment 309769

So in conclusion....... while I did get what I wanted. It was a major project and cost me more than I care to admit to.

But now I still have lots of clean up items to complete.
1. The AIrbag light is on. —- still need to test the clock spring.

2. Need to get a new body harness with hardtop wiring.

3. Need to find a good hardtop.

4. Need to wiper arms. I bent one removing the cover a while back.

5. still need to locate some carpet push retainers for the fire wall.

6 need to mount the new under hood light.

I'm sure I'm missing a few hundred other things. But the AC dials work and just in time. It's pushing 80+ out here and won't be long until the 100's

I've got a hardtop off an '03 sitting in a storage locker in Quartzsite that I'd sell. I've also got a set of new retainer screws and a seal kit, but they're with me in Cali. PM me.