97 A/C sliders to 99 A/C dials (let the fun begin)

Boinked

TJ Expert
Today I start a bucket list item. I am converting my Sliders to Dial control. I have a few reasons for doing this.

1st and foremost..... is the availability of slider controls. The only option is used. My control we off like grenade. No salvaging them. With the price of new (used) controls costing over 300 and them also being over 20 years old I don't want to worry about future events.

2nd... my wiring harness was abused by the Previous owners. Multiple times it was spliced and taped into for stupid stuff.

3rd... I want something that will challenge me to accomplish.

4th... because I'm dumb enough to try it.

Just a word of caution for anyone that may try to do this. This is going to cost me more then to buying 3 97 controls

Pre work..... I actually went down and had the AC recovered from the system. ( I know I shocked myself).
Helpful hint. Go to a AC shop during the winter they are slow as he'll and he wasn't even going to charge me. I did give him 20 for his time.

Day 1... I started by removing the battery then the entire dash and steering wheel. I disconnected the steering shaft in the engine bay because it was easier on my back. Then disconnected the heater hoses and AC lines.

After all of that I had to stop and charge batteries and myself.

20220116_115744.jpg
20220116_115752.jpg

After I went inside and pulled the new (used) ac box out of the package I found out the sent me the wrong one. The one they sent me was for a 97-98. Unfortunately I ordered it before my deployment so I will be posting it for sale soon along with the one that is currently in the Jeep.

Thankfully the wiring harness is for a 99 TJ. After looking at the wiring diagram I can not see any changes that will effect the operation. But only time will tell.

This is going to be a long process mostly because I'm lazy in my old age and don't want to spend 8+ hours straight to get it done quickly.

Thank you for documenting this. I don't ever *want* to have to do this, but it's good to see what I might have to do if I *need* to do it in the future.

Day 1 part 2.....

I have the old ac box removed and the old wiring harness. Started installing the new harness. The new harness doesn't have the plastic clips. I understand why. I destroyed most of mine trying to remove them carefully. I will run down to the auto body and paint store tomorrow and pick up new ones.

Lessons learned.

Keep in mind I did not watch any videos before starting this.

Removing the center console is a must. The ac box could not be removed with it in.

Remove the airbag module when replacing the harness. You can remove the wires pretty easy but reinstall was a pain. After 5 minutes I pulled 3 nuts and hooked up easy.

The wiper motor is part of the main harness you will need to pull the wipers and remove the cowl. ( piece of cake on a AZ jeep)

Found the inner shift boot cracked AGAIN!!!!!!! Will be replacing that now.

Still need to buy a new heater core and evaporator for the new box.

Things on the research list.

The fog light wiring is different from what I have. That was to be expected since the original harness was hacked and abused. Going to have to figure out the proper route. Hopefully I don't get into the under hood harness.

The connection to the clock spring has more wires then the original. I'm assuming that it is for cruise control. But should not effect anything.

20220116_133453.jpg
20220116_133510.jpg
20220116_133831.jpg

Reactions: Jamison C
What was it about the sliders you didn’t like? I like mine and the fact of something isn’t working then it is a mechanical problem which is easier to diagnose and fix.
I do have a blend door cable on its ways as it was kinked when I bought my Jeep and that temp fix has expired, but the cable replacement looks simple and straight forward.

What was it about the sliders you didn’t like? I like mine and the fact of something isn’t working then it is a mechanical problem which is easier to diagnose and fix.
I do have a blend door cable on its ways as it was kinked when I bought my Jeep and that temp fix has expired, but the cable replacement looks simple and straight forward.
I really want to have dash and floor (dual) AC. It is not possible with the 97 98 control. When you select the dual zone it shuts off the AC. I could have rigged it to work. But my way is more fun....

My God. I think you're crazy. I'm on my 2nd 97 & aside from the linked cable and sniffing out vac leaks, sliders are cake!!!

Reactions: Kurt_S
I would love to have dual zone as well, but it's not worth swapping for me. The availability of slider controls might be in the future though.

My God. I think you're crazy. I'm on my 2nd 97 & aside from the linked cable and sniffing out vac leaks, sliders are cake!!!
I know I'm crazy for trying this. However we all do crazy things to our jeeps. Unfortunately I have neglected things on my jeep for a while.

This is going to be a major Internal refurbishment. I plan on cleaning the dash. ( maybe recoat it) changing the carpet. Installing cargo netting for my new dog. Finding a better spot to mount the CB. I might even change the center console out for something (still just thinking about that).

This will be weeks long. With me changing my mind lots. And ordering parts well after I should have.

I really want to have dash and floor (dual) AC. It is not possible with the 97 98 control. When you select the dual zone it shuts off the AC. I could have rigged it to work. But my way is more fun....

That's not entirely accurate. My 1998 model (with "slider" HVAC controls) *does* split the air between dash and floor when using either A/C function.

A/C (snowflake symbol and re-circulation mode):
- air flow is split between the dash vents, defroster vents, and floor vents.

A/C (snowflake symbol and outside air mode):
- air flow is split between the dash vents, defroster vents, and floor vents.

VENT (arrow to face):
- air blows primarily through the front dash vents, and little less also blows through the defrost vents and the floor vents.

FLOOR (arrow to feet):
- air blows primarily through the floor vents, and a little less also blows through the demisters.

FLOOR/DEFROST (arrow to feet AND defrost symbol):
- air blows primarily through the floor vents, and about the same amount blows *cold* air through the demisters.

DEFROST (defrost symbol only):
- air blows through the defrost vents ONLY.

My 1998 Owner's Manual says otherwise, but this is how mine has worked since I bought my Jeep [almost new] in 1999. Maybe it was changed later in the year until the HVAC was re-designed with the extra mode for the 1999 model year?

Last edited:
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Day 2 part 1 ..... (of working on it)

I fell down the rabbit hole. I figured it was just as easy to do a few more things while I had it apart.

Early this week I went on a shopping spree. New carpets from stock interiors (hated the bedtred). 80mil Sound proofing from nocio. Now in the back of my head I'm thinking about sending the seats out for a refresh.

Still waiting for the replacement airbox. But I did do some research and the 97-98 air box /w AC sells for more than the 99-00. After completing the project I will post them if anyone is interested.

After a rainy Saturday I started the morning removing everything left from the inside. And gave it a pre clean before I started with final clean and sound proof installation currently on my union mandatory rest.

20220123_105704.jpg

20220123_105657.jpg

The green paint is self etching primer I did a couple years ago.

I know I'm crazy for trying this. However we all do crazy things to our jeeps. Unfortunately I have neglected things on my jeep for a while.

This is going to be a major Internal refurbishment. I plan on cleaning the dash. ( maybe recoat it) changing the carpet. Installing cargo netting for my new dog. Finding a better spot to mount the CB. I might even change the center console out for something (still just thinking about that).

This will be weeks long. With me changing my mind lots. And ordering parts well after I should have.
You should start a build thread with all of the different things you plan to do. We all love restoration as much as we do mods.

Reactions: lBasket
This is fun. I'm along for the ride. Thanks for being the canary in this particular mineshaft.

Day 2 part 2 ...... (end of shift)

Completely under estimated the amount of work required to install the sound board....... it sucks.... but I got a fair amount of it done.

Still have a lot of patches to do. I also want to reinstall the front seats to see how the rest will need to be cut.

Also have the wheel wells to complete

20220123_143429.jpg

20220123_143423.jpg

On a good note... I did come up with a solution to the wiring harness ties.

20220123_143318.jpg

It's not how I would prefer to do it. But it works.

I just bought M5 nuts to screw on the studs and used nail on wire ties.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better for progress. I'm hopeful that I will get the carpet installed and the wiring secured. That way once the new airbox is here I can install it straight away.

Now to clean up and figure out what to do with the old bed tree flooring.

Day 3 ( I love Mondays )

For a day off of work I was busy so I didn't have a lot of time today. But I did get a fair amount completed.

First I finished the sound boards. Then I was able to start re assembly of the interior. But hit a wall when USPS did not deliver the inner shift boot. I could have installed the seats but it's much easier to get the center console in without them.

20220124_134719.jpg

20220124_134728.jpg

20220124_170709.jpg

20220124_134716.jpg

The stock interiors carpet was not bad. But still far from perfect. I'm hopeful that it will lay down after the heat and time pass

Then..... I tackled the wiring harness. After running down to a couple junk yards I was able to collect enough factory hold downs. Only cost me $10 including the cost of admission.

20220124_170703.jpg

20220124_164512.jpg

20220124_170718.jpg

After all that...... I dug into the wiring diagram to figure out what the hell the Previous owners did with the fog light..... well it turns out they used some aftermarket system. So now I have factory fog lights to the under hood connector but not ant further. So I will be looking for a new grill/headlights harness. But that's a future me problem. Hopefully I will have the new AC box tomorrow and be ready for installation next weekend.
After looking over everything I'm 99% sure this will be plug and play. But I did get lucky. My 97 was built in July of 97. Some of the earlier models have a different wiring harness that don't plug into the newer TJ's .

Received my new airbox today. Didn't have much time to do anything major to it. Just tore it down to see how dirty it was...... holy crap the was a lot of shit inside. Hopefully this weekend I will have everything put back in and ready for testing.
20220125_183541.jpg

Day 2 part 2 ...... (end of shift)

Completely under estimated the amount of work required to install the sound board....... it sucks.... but I got a fair amount of it done.

Still have a lot of patches to do. I also want to reinstall the front seats to see how the rest will need to be cut.

Also have the wheel wells to complete

View attachment 304456
View attachment 304457

On a good note... I did come up with a solution to the wiring harness ties.

View attachment 304458

It's not how I would prefer to do it. But it works.

I just bought M5 nuts to screw on the studs and used nail on wire ties.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better for progress. I'm hopeful that I will get the carpet installed and the wiring secured. That way once the new airbox is here I can install it straight away.

Now to clean up and figure out what to do with the old bed tree flooring.
If it matters for future reference.

Home Depot has the double head zip ties like are used to hold the washer fluid line to the harness. Hellerman Tyton makes that stud mount zip ties but I can only find them for 1/4" studs for now on Amazon.

Day 4........ (it never going to end)

Did not take pictures of the box assembly. But I assembled the ac box. Installed new OEM foam for the firewall. It was pricey $80 for the three pieces. Then I spent hours trying to find the nuts that mount it to the firewall.

Finally around 4pm I found them and caught a second wind and mounted it. Added the pipes and even installed my new inner shift boot.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a more productive day.

20220129_172004.jpg
20220129_171946.jpg
20220129_171938.jpg