97 cranks but won't start after battery swap, no 5 volts from ECM

RedTJinArkansas

Hello, I've seen some other posts regarding similar issues but nothing exactly like my issue.

The Jeep sat for a couple of weeks and the battery was dead. I put a booster on it and it indicated an issue. I then put a charger on it and the battery got super hot. Went ahead and replaced the battery. Jeep now turns over but won't start. After researching I found there is not 5 volts coming from the ECM on the orange wire that goes to the various sensors or the purple wire that goes to the speed sensor in the tranny. I verified that there is 12 volts going into the ECM. After more research it seemed it was either a short in that 5 volt wire or a bad ECM. I've unplugged every sensor according to the wiring diagram. I also don't have any working instruments and don't see any correlation between that and the 5 volt circuit. All fuses are working except fuse 12 behind the glove box. That says panel lamps. I don't recall ever having an issue with this before. I just want to check everything possible before replacing the ECM. Another option I have read about it getting another 5 volt source and connecting it to that circuit. Has anyone done this? Thank you guys for any assistance!

Hello, I've seen some other posts regarding similar issues but nothing exactly like my issue.

The Jeep sat for a couple of weeks and the battery was dead. I put a booster on it and it indicated an issue. I then put a charger on it and the battery got super hot. Went ahead and replaced the battery. Jeep now turns over but won't start. After researching I found there is not 5 volts coming from the ECM on the orange wire that goes to the various sensors or the purple wire that goes to the speed sensor in the tranny. I verified that there is 12 volts going into the ECM. After more research it seemed it was either a short in that 5 volt wire or a bad ECM. I've unplugged every sensor according to the wiring diagram. I also don't have any working instruments and don't see any correlation between that and the 5 volt circuit. All fuses are working except fuse 12 behind the glove box. That says panel lamps. I don't recall ever having an issue with this before. I just want to check everything possible before replacing the ECM. Another option I have read about it getting another 5 volt source and connecting it to that circuit. Has anyone done this? Thank you guys for any assistance!

Also, it's a 4.0 with a 5 speed manual transmission.

Reactions: Blondie70
According to the Factory Service Manual in the Wiring schematics section; 8W-44-6 identifies the Fuse Block (glove compartment) Fuse 12 feeds the headlight switch interior lighting dimming circuit (instrument cluster illumination, radio, gear selector illumination, a/c & heater controls illumination, rear windshield washer switch and rear defogger switch (if equipped) and fog lamp switch (if equipped).
Once you determine IF the ECM actually has a problem and get the Jeep operating; you may need to troubleshoot the Interior Lighting circuit for an electrical short or bad headlight switch.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/1997-jeep-wrangler-service-manual-pdf.308365/

According to the Factory Service Manual in the Wiring schematics section; 8W-44-6 identifies the Fuse Block (glove compartment) Fuse 12 feeds the headlight switch interior lighting dimming circuit (instrument cluster illumination, radio, gear selector illumination, a/c & heater controls illumination, rear windshield washer switch and rear defogger switch (if equipped) and fog lamp switch (if equipped).
Once you determine IF the ECM actually has a problem and get the Jeep operating; you may need to troubleshoot the Interior Lighting circuit for an electrical short or bad headlight switch.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/1997-jeep-wrangler-service-manual-pdf.308365/

Thanks, once it runs this won't seem too bad.

Update, I tested every which way and decided that it had to be the ECM. Then I got a 12volt to 5volt converter and connected it to the 5 volt output from the computer. Fired right up and currently driving it that way. Looking at some cheaper ECM's @ auto parts stores. Wonder if Cardone is any good?

Reactions: Blondie70
Update, I tested every which way and decided that it had to be the ECM. Then I got a 12volt to 5volt converter and connected it to the 5 volt output from the computer. Fired right up and currently driving it that way. Looking at some cheaper ECM's @ auto parts stores. Wonder if Cardone is any good?
I don't trust ANYTHING from Cardone. Get your PCM repaired or replaced by forum member @Mark cantrell at www.wranglerfix.com who is the only source of PCMs or PCM repairs I consider trustworthy.