97 full doors and hardtop not fitting on 2005 TJ

Bwanamakuba

I was trying to get a hard top and full doors to fit my TJ 2005 X. Currently I have half doors and a bestop soft top.
I got a hard top from ebay from an older TJ and it appers to fit fine apart from the half doors do not fit well. There is a gap at the front of the door. I also bought cheap some 1997 full doors which don't fit properly either (when on they do not close properly. If I mess about and lift the door on the hinges about 1/2 inch then I can get them to close but still have a gap at the top). Can anyone tell me did jeep change the full door fit between 97 and 2005 and/or did they change the hard top. I need to figure out the best course of action to get to my goal of hard top and full doors for winter and soft top and half doors for summer. If only.....
The pictures show the problem with both full and half doors hung.
IMG_0550.jpg
IMG_0552.jpg

As a new guy to the forum I can see there is an incredible level of knowledge and experience out there and hope someone can put me on the right track. I could really do with the help. Thanks in advance.

Take photos of the hardtop from a distance so we can see the full thing. I'm thinking that's either an aftermarket hardtop, or it's a YJ hardtop.

All hardtops from 97-06 are interchangeable, so there should be no fitment issues whatsoever.

Hi Chris thanks for the prompt reply. The top came off a TJ with full doors. Fit was good as I went for a drive in it to see what sound was like when driving. Picture is attached.
IMG_0549.jpg

That is not a factory TJ hard top. How the previous owner got it to fit on his '97, no telling. The front edge over the windshield should follow the contour of the windshield, and that one doesn't. Also, the rear quarter panels on each side of the back window do not match what an original TJ top looks like. I am almost 100% sure that is a YJ hard top. Look at the photos of the hard top on this 1990 YJ in a for sale ad, it looks exactly like your top, with the exception of the wiper assembly::

https://www.suttonmotorsports.com/v...-hardtop-suv-fe5fd8f1e3aaf44bbf6c432d7432a668

169a4fbec6_1024.jpg

24a89365ea_1024.jpg

Last edited:
A quick Google image search shows that you most likely have a YJ hardtop.

The TJ top curves down around the top of the windshield frame to meet the doors and the rear corner vent is longer.

tj-hardtop.jpg

yj-hardtop.jpg

Reactions: Bwanamakuba
Thanks for that guys. It looks like the wrong top. Duh! Can you shed light on why the 97 doors fit badly? They seem to drop and catch on the sill at the bottom. The fit can be seen from the photo. If you lift the door on the hinges by 1/2 an inch you can get it in to close. Any ideas. Is there a way of adjusting the doors or am i missing something here as well. Thanks.
Door.jpg

Yep, that is indeed a YJ hardtop. Supposedly you can get them to fit, but the issue arises around the windshield header as shown in your photos. I'm not sure what the fix it unfortunately.

@Imapepper is right about the doors. It looks like at least the bottom hinge is missing a bushing.

Loosen 6 hinge bolts on door, adjust gaps , re-tighten. Also check the bushings where hinge pins go into, can't tell if yours are still intact or missing.
If the rear side of the door is too low, you may get away with just loosening the 3 bolts on the top hinge, raising the rear of the door, then tightening those same 3 bolts. I had the same issue with a factory half door, and that did it for me. However, the full doors are quite a bit heavier, so it may take loosening all the bolts on both hinges, adjusting, and tightening the bolts as @Imapepper said. X2 on new hinge bushings also.

Reactions: Bwanamakuba