97 T J stereo wiring questions

PattonD

Supporting Member
When I pulled the existing aftermarket car stereo out of our 97 TJ. I found the existing wiring wasn’t quite what I expected.

there is a two wire connector that was not connected to the existing stereo with a purple wire and a white/black wire. Any idea what those are supposed to connect to?

Also the ground was not going through the radio harness but soldered directly to the connector shown in the picture below. It was not bolted to anything but loose.

Any ideas what I am looking at?

B61F428D-1573-4E82-AD9D-C2EEE2EE1355.jpeg

Looks like all your factory wiring is still there which is good news.

The two pin connector is listed as connector 219, it's wired into the CCD +/- circuit between the PCM and the OBD2 connector. Your factory diagram shows it as not connected to anything:

1626640262072.png

The factory ground wire bolts to the stock radio itself, it's not part of the harness.

If you're handy with reading diagrams you can get your own copy of the factory service manual for free over in the resources forum. The '97 is all the way at the bottom of the list for some reason. Page 8W-47 starts the audio system, page 8W-80 has pictures of all the connectors & lists the wires that go through them, & page 8W-90 has a bunch of pictures that show where all the connectors are in the TJ. Lots of handy info for figuring out wiring!

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/

Reactions: Ephry73
My harness kit didn’t come labeled and the colors don’t match exactly with the Sony XAV-AX1000 Harness. Below I took the Sony schematic, and paired it with what I think is the right wire for the Jeep.

The Jeep harness doesn’t appear to have ground, reverse in or parking brake. Getting a 3 wire bypass for the parking brake.

For the reverse, I have a parking camera, do I run the power from the backup light through the red power line from the back of the car to the purple/white wire from the Sony?

03B96A87-7752-4640-A502-8816310A080C.jpeg

718D693F-8C0A-4013-B5F1-C7C2376DC017.jpeg

My harness kit didn’t come labeled and the colors don’t match exactly with the Sony XAV-AX1000 Harness. Below I took the Sony schematic, and paired it with what I think is the right wire for the Jeep.

The Jeep harness doesn’t appear to have ground, reverse in or parking brake. Getting a 3 wire bypass for the parking brake.

For the reverse, I have a parking camera, do I run the power from the backup light through the red power line from the back of the car to the purple/white wire from the Sony?

View attachment 266307

View attachment 266308

That's the same unit I installed, but I didn't mess with the camera. For the ground just run the pigtail from the Sony to another ground wire nearby or crimp a ring terminal on it & ground it to the dash frame with a sheet metal screw.

I'd tap into the purple/black wire coming out of connector C106, that's the reverse light wire coming out of the reverse switch. The forum isn't letting me post screenshots for some reason, but see page 8W-51-3, you'll see the wire I'm talking about. Page 8W-90-5 figure 2 shows it as a black connector in the block by the left kick panel under the dash.

I had bought the HECASA kit off of Amazon, it didn't come with the wiring, but found this diagram in the comments. The only difference is my kit harness didn't have the brown phone mute wire.

1626810388183.png