97 TJ Soft Top Conversion

WILLY97TJ

I bought my 97 TJ with a hard top. I’ve done a bunch of upgrades so far! Summer is coming and I would like to convert it to a soft top. What is the best value, best all inclusive with parts and directions product and easiest way to accomplish this?
A3A6B400-DA53-4F3A-866F-B9E7C2B85F30.jpeg

There are lots of different options out there, I'd recommend Bestop if you can swing it. I got the frameless Trektop NX last year, so far I'm really happy with it. It doesn't fold all the way back and collapse like a framed soft top, but it does let me just unzip the three windows and instantly have a safari top which I personally prefer. It was a pain in the ass to install the first time, but since its been on for a few months it has stretched a bit and comes off and on pretty easy.

I went with the Bestop Supertop NX. It came with everything. The instructions weren't to bad to follow. I did watch the video too though. I love it. I find that I use the sunroof portion the most. :D It can be opened partially or fully, or just take the whole top back.

19560C9F-428C-410A-AD4D-DAB2BC43EA04.jpeg
8209605C-627A-4504-BAA6-56EB3D57CBED_1_201_a.jpeg

I went with the Bestop Supertop NX. It came with everything. The instructions weren't to bad to follow. I did watch the video too though. I love it. I find that I use the sunroof portion the most. :D It can be opened partially or fully, or just take the whole top back.

View attachment 147248View attachment 147249
Oh man you have a purple spider shade under the soft top, who'd have thought lol

• Haha
Reactions: KimsJeep
There are lots of different options out there, I'd recommend Bestop if you can swing it. I got the frameless Trektop NX last year, so far I'm really happy with it. It doesn't fold all the way back and collapse like a framed soft top, but it does let me just unzip the three windows and instantly have a safari top which I personally prefer. It was a pain in the ass to install the first time, but since its been on for a few months it has stretched a bit and comes off and on pretty easy.
What material did you get? Wondering if the twill is worth the extra $$$. I run a hard top with full doors most of the time and a bikini top during warmer months. I’d like to have this top to run safari style and then zip on the windows when wheeling.

Didn't go with the twill because it wasn't available in the spice color I wanted. I don't have any complaints with it at all, but I also don't use my TJ as a daily driver so I don't really care about cold or wind noise. If I did I might change my tune based on what I've heard other folks say.

The other day it hit 60 degrees & sunny here and the kids wanted to go for a ride, it was nice being able to sip the windows off real quick for a cruise and put them on later. The only extra thing I did was make some paracord zipper pull tabs for a little extra grip on the zippers. Took about 10 minutes to get the windows back on.