'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

We used to use that needle gun when I worked on the Navy ships...they would echo like crazy on the metal hulls.
Ear plugs and ear muffs as well and it would still be deafening so I know how loud they are.....but on the plus side, very very effective.
Glad to see your picking up steam on the build too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch
We used to use that needle gun when I worked on the Navy ships...they would echo like crazy on the metal hulls.
Ear plugs and ear muffs as well and it would still be deafening so I know how load they are.....but on the plus side, very very effective.
Glad to see your picking up steam on the build too.
Thanks, Brother. Got a big family event in the first week of August. Folks coming in from all over the country. Been preparing for that, so the best I can do right now is sneak in the garage time when I can. :)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Thanks, Brother. Got a big family event in the first week of August. Folks coming in from all over the country. Been preparing for that, so the best I can do right now is sneak in the garage time when I can. :)
Big family reunions are great...prepping for one when you hosting...not so much lol

So, unless I'm missing something, it would appear that there was no ABS available on the Dana 44 for the TJ. I cannot find a tone ring available, and @Jerry Bransford noted in another forum (late Aug. 2009) that he had to disable his ABS when he changed from a Dana 35 to a Dana 44 in his '97. I'm fine with losing the ABS, but I just bought a full kit of stainless steel lines from Classic Tubes (via 4 Wheel Parts) for a TJ with ABS. I don't know what the difference would be, but there are definitely two different kits available, one for ABS, and one for without. I may call Classic Tube and see if they can enlighten me. I don't want to have to return this kit, as it took 4 weeks to get. If the only difference is actually at the rear axle, I'll just order those lines, or perhaps attempt to coerce the existing kit pieces into fitting. I know the ABS can be disabled, but I assume that's done by removing a fuse or maybe a relay, but would have nothing to do with the actual hydraulic brake lines. But again, at this stage, it's just an assumption on my part. Any help regarding this information (and issue) would be welcome.

And now a question for all you Rubicon owners: Do your rigs have the ABS with the D44s? That might be the exception to what I think I know. But I then need to also ask, are all Rubicons 4-wheel disc brakes? If they are, then the ABS tone ring and sensor might be mounted in a completely different manner/location than anything I could use for my rear drum brakes. I'd think that would likely be the case. @Chris, @Ranger_b0b, and @ac_? Sure could use an education on this one, guys. Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
So, unless I'm missing something, it would appear that there was no ABS available on the Dana 44 for the TJ. I cannot find a tone ring available, and @Jerry Bransford noted in another forum (late Aug. 2009) that he had to disable his ABS when he changed from a Dana 35 to a Dana 44 in his '97. I'm fine with losing the ABS, but I just bought a full kit of stainless steel lines from Classic Tubes (via 4 Wheel Parts) for a TJ with ABS. I don't know what the difference would be, but there are definitely two different kits available, one for ABS, and one for without. I may call Classic Tube and see if they can enlighten me. I don't want to have to return this kit, as it took 4 weeks to get. If the only difference is actually at the rear axle, I'll just order those lines, or perhaps attempt to coerce the existing kit pieces into fitting. I know the ABS can be disabled, but I assume that's done by removing a fuse or maybe a relay, but would have nothing to do with the actual hydraulic brake lines. But again, at this stage, it's just an assumption on my part. Any help regarding this information (and issue) would be welcome.

And now a question for all you Rubicon owners: Do your rigs have the ABS with the D44s? That might be the exception to what I think I know. But I then need to also ask, are all Rubicons 4-wheel disc brakes? If they are, then the ABS tone ring and sensor might be mounted in a completely different manner/location than anything I could use for my rear drum brakes. I'd think that would likely be the case. @Chris, @Ranger_b0b, and @ac_? Sure could use an education on this one, guys. Thanks in advance for any help!
Following with great interest this Dana 44 swap. Also, are you going to paint the entire axle or just the housing?

So, unless I'm missing something, it would appear that there was no ABS available on the Dana 44 for the TJ. I cannot find a tone ring available, and @Jerry Bransford noted in another forum (late Aug. 2009) that he had to disable his ABS when he changed from a Dana 35 to a Dana 44 in his '97. I'm fine with losing the ABS, but I just bought a full kit of stainless steel lines from Classic Tubes (via 4 Wheel Parts) for a TJ with ABS. I don't know what the difference would be, but there are definitely two different kits available, one for ABS, and one for without.
Regardless of your plans to disable it, you need the kit for ABS. The ABS brake line plumbing is different so that's the version you need.

Unless you'll go to the extra work of also removing the ABS pump located on the driver's side fender well. Then you could go with the non-ABS kit but that's a lot of extra work for really no additional benefit. Personally, I'd leave that part as is and just go with the ABS style brake line kit.

Reactions: ac_ and Squatch

Rubicons were never available with ABS, as it wasn't available with the Dana 44 axles.

Rubicons are however, all 4-wheel disc brakes.

I'm assuming your rig already has ABS? I'd probably remove the ABS altogether if that's an option.

No ABS in TJ Rubicons. And yes, they came with all disk brakes.

Looks like you got your answers, but mine is not a Rubicon by the way. I own a cheap sport. Mine has a Dana 30 and Dana 35. No ABS for me neither. Sorry I can't be much help here.

Following with great interest this Dana 44 swap. Also, are you going to paint the entire axle or just the housing?
From drum-to-drum. Just didn't have the time to do the axle tubes, and I also will be pulling the axles to remove the backing plates. Want to be sure and really get everything cleaned-up.

Reactions: JMT
Regardless of your plans to disable it, you need the kit for ABS. The ABS brake line plumbing is different so that's the version you need.

Unless you'll go to the extra work of also removing the ABS pump located on the driver's side fender well. Then you could go with the non-ABS kit but that's a lot of extra work for really no additional benefit. Personally, I'd leave that part as is and just go with the ABS style brake line kit.
Thanks, Jerry. Being that I already have the stainless lines for the ABS, I'll leave the heart of the system in the rig.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
From drum-to-drum. Just didn't have the time to do the axle tubes, and I also will be pulling the axles to remove the backing plates. Want to be sure and really get everything cleaned-up.
Make sure and post up pictures!

Are the backing plates the rotors? Or the part attached to the axle shafts that sit under the rotors? And should you paint any part of the rotors (obviously not the part the brake pads rub on)? I'm a noob in this area...

Looks like you got your answers, but mine is not a Rubicon by the way. I own a cheap sport. Mine has a Dana 30 and Dana 35. No ABS for me neither. Sorry I can't be much help here.
Yep. Answers, galore! Thanks to all for that.

So, with all that you've done and are currently doing to Zombicon, I'm thinking it cannot be referred to as a "cheap Sport" any longer! ;)

Reactions: ac_
Are the backing plates the rotors? Or the part attached to the axle shafts that sit under the rotors? And should you paint any part of the rotors (obviously not the part the brake pads rub on)? I'm a noob in this area...
You can paint the "hat" of the rotor (the section that the pads do not clamp against during braking. A disc brake setup will have the rotor, and a thin sheet metal piece behind the rotor, usually just slightly larger in diameter than the rotor, called a dust shield.
A drum brake set-up has a much heavier gauge piece behind the drum, to which all the brake hardware is attached. That's what's referred to as the backing plate. :)

The backing plate is always attached to the end of the axle tube, whereas a dust shield typically has some other mounting point, as it's not structural.

Just for clarification on a rear disc brake Dana 44, the backing plates are unitized to the rear brake caliper mount, which also houses the park brake cables. Here you can see them dangling off to the sides.
20160219_171847.jpg

Just for clarification on a rear disc brake Dana 44, the backing plates are unitized to the rear brake caliper mount, which also houses the park brake cables. Here you can see them dangling off to the sides.
View attachment 47629
Ahhhh...thank you for that clarification! My line of thinking was dealing with front disc brakes, and to most every typical car set-up that I have ever dealt with. I need to remind myself that sometimes that info does not accurately translate to our TJs.
You are absolutely correct, @bobthetj03, about the backing plate set-up on the rear axle disc brake set-up. It is, in fact, structural, and definitely not a dust shield. My apologies, @JMT. My info was definitely in reference to the front set-up used on most cars. I haven't even been into the fronts of my TJ yet, so I can't say with 100% certainty that there isn't something of a surprise waiting there for me...

Reactions: bobthetj03