'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

Squatch, I really like your first post and how you are tracking everything you have done there. Although mine is simple, I really should get my own build thread going to document my journey and expenses, especially since I plan on keeping the Jeep in the family as long as I can. I have the same feeling about build threads and thus have never done one before for any car, even ones I have spent countless time and $ on. However, I like this site. It has a great non-commercial vibe to it, and Chris lets us store pictures of our TJ's:). Even though I am not really "building" anything, it still would be fun to document and share with the TJ family. I'll leave the real building and serious off-roading to all you others, LOL. I sure have learned a lot from all of the experts here regularly, both before and after I bought my TJ.
There are some incredible build threads in this forum! Mine, unfortunately, has been more of an "Accumulation thread". The time we can dedicate to our rigs varies greatly. For me, I haven't had much time to devote to it, but I do whatever I can, whenever I can. :)

Reactions: mots and Kiwi TJ
@Squatch do you still start the engine from time to time, and if so does it start and run ok ?
I do, and it does. Haven't started it since dropping the tank, however. But I did a full tune-up on it prior to tearing the tank out. Also, I ran non-ethanol fuel in it, so that's what remains in the system.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Kiwi TJ
There are some incredible build threads in this forum! Mine, unfortunately, has been more of an "Accumulation thread". The time we can dedicate to our rigs varies greatly. For me, I haven't had much time to devote to it, but I do whatever I can, whenever I can. :)
Yeah, I have nearly popped wood over some of the pics in some of the recent build threads, LOL. Beefy customized Dana 60's bigger than my arm, that I know nothing about. I am learning as fast as I can, but a lot of that stuff is seriously above my pay grade. I just love seeing all the information being shared by everyone, no matter what level of difficulty or amount of organization. You never know what might be useful to the passer by. The cumulative body of information that is here is amazing and is very useful to newcomers.

Yeah, I have nearly popped wood over some of the pics in some of the recent build threads, LOL. Beefy customized Dana 60's bigger than my arm, that I know nothing about. I am learning as fast as I can, but a lot of that stuff is seriously above my pay grade. I just love seeing all the information being shared by everyone, no matter what level of difficulty or amount of organization. You never know what might be useful to the passer by. The cumulative body of information that is here is amazing and is very useful to newcomers.
Very well-said, my friend. I couldn't agree more!

Reactions: mots
Was able to sneak out to the garage for a couple of hours this evening. Finished removing any surface rust off the Dana 44. I'll hit it with the appropriate primer tomorrow, and let it cure. I was scheduled for a week and a half off starting next week, but my lead operator's wife is expecting their second child next week, so I'm likely going to cancel my vacation while he takes some time off to get to know his newest family member. Oh well, I'll keep plugging away at it whenever I can. Sure hope those new Toyo tires are good in the snow, because that's starting to look like when it's maiden run will be! :rolleyes:

gremlin1.jpg
:D

I caught @Daz7's post where he installed those ARB sliders. Damn, those are good looking! I'd have to remove all my Sahara rocker trim and such. Man, they're spendy, too. Definitely not a "need" item, but a "want" one, to be sure!

Though I don't believe I ever announced it, I did pick up a JKS adjustable rear track bar a while back, and a set of those Wild Boar grab handles, as well. The Teej is loaded inside with boxes of new parts. No more room in the garage! :facepalm:

Reactions: Kathy, JMT and ac_
Though I don't believe I ever announced it, I did pick up a JKS adjustable rear track bar a while back, and a set of those Wild Boar grab handles, as well. The Teej is loaded inside with boxes of new parts. No more room in the garage! :facepalm:

I just installed a JKS rear bar on mine during my Currie lift. It is pretty easy. In fact the rear end was squared up so the bar fit without too much fuss.

Reactions: Squatch
Geez brother! Just catching up! Another Dana 44?! I hope you got a good deal on this one. You’ll be able to do some serious wheelin. May need the rock sliders after all!

You're gonna need new springs, just to support the weight of all the stored aftermarket goodies. At least until they are installed!

Reactions: Squatch and KCsTJ
View attachment 32148
View attachment 32149

I've been hesitant to start anything so bold as a "Build Thread", as my schedule sometimes doesn't afford me the time to build anything. But, it seems I keep interjecting comments and whatnot on other threads regarding the direction I'm heading with my TJ, and about my parts accumulation, as-of late, so I guess it's time.

The pics above are my '98 TJ Sahara as-found. It had been sitting for over a year in that spot, untouched. I bought if off a friend who was the original owner. It has both the hardtop and the convertible top set-up. The rig has 204,000 miles on the clock, and is a 5-speed. I paid $750 for it (he offered it to me for $500, but my conscience wouldn't let me). I am now discovering what a $750 Jeep really costs...

I got the vehicle running after doing a full tune-up and replacing the battery. The rear axle (Dana 35) is toast. Crunching noises and locks up periodically. So, after doing some research, I found a Dana 44 was the preferred axle, and went on a search. I found one, and only one, advertised on Craigslist. Turns out it was a reputable, albeit very expensive, local Jeep wrecking yard/shop. Being green at all things Jeep, I ended up paying almost double what I would later find the same axle selling for. It was so bad that I refuse to reveal what I actually paid to get the thing into my possession. Trust me, though, I've since learned a thing or two, and have made parts purchases that qualify as sensible, if not downright "steals".

So here is a list of parts accumulated thus far, and their cost:
Dana 44 with 3.73 gears "open"..................................too much $$$
Toyo A/T II 31X10.50R15LT C (five of them)........$675.50
Full tune-up parts...................................................$105
Battery....................................................................$125
Stainless steel tailgate hinges (new-Craigslist)......$60
Floor pan replacement panel..................................$56
OME 2" HD springs (full set-"new"-Craigslist)........$206 ($150 plus tax/shipping)
Rancho RS5000X shocks and steering stabilizer...$246
JKS quick disconnects............................................$155
TJ-specific car cover...............................................$98

There's more coming, and the plan is to attack it all in one shot when the weather warms up, and I can roll my Rambler convertible project out of the garage, and the TJ in. It'll be my "staycation" project.

Still to come:
Dirtworx front bumper
Warn M8000-s winch
Five new wheels
Eaton E-locker

Will post pictures when the fun stuff begins. Input is always welcome, and appreciated. Thanks!
I have a 1998 sahara as well. Has 120,000 miles on it. 3.5 spring lift, 1" body lift. 33x12.5 R15 tires bf goodrich all terrain. I will be interested to see the updates as I am new to the more technical stuff. I can't believe you got that for 750.00. I'm not sure the value of mine, has a soft top. I would value it 5 or $6000.00. Good luck! Looking forward to more and post pictures.

I have a 1998 sahara as well. Has 120,000 miles on it. 3.5 spring lift, 1" body lift. 33x12.5 R15 tires bf goodrich all terrain. I will be interested to see the updates as I am new to the more technical stuff. I can't believe you got that for 750.00. I'm not sure the value of mine, has a soft top. I would value it 5 or $6000.00. Good luck! Looking forward to more and post pictures.
I'm finding that the $750 price tag was merely the bait on the hook. I've spent more money on this thing than any other vehicle I have ever owned!

I'm finding that the $750 price tag was merely the bait on the hook. I've spent more money on this thing than any other vehicle I have ever owned!
The previous owner put the lift on mine. Thank God bc I'm too much of a tight wad to spend that kind of $. As I look at suspension parts the higher you go the more it costs. Replacing axles sounds intimidating to me. Not really sure what Dana's are? And why people joke around about Dana?

The previous owner put the lift on mine. Thank God bc I'm too much of a tight wad to spend that kind of $. As I look at suspension parts the higher you go the more it costs. Replacing axles sounds intimidating to me. Not really sure what Dana's are? And why people joke around about Dana?
Dana is the manufacturer of the axle assemblies. TJs use Dana 30, 35, & 44 axles. The only Dana axle that gets grief is the 35. But it can be beefed up with new axle shafts.

Reactions: Squatch and Matt77