'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

You got this @Squatch. I have a lot of respect for someone that can take a $750 jeep, and can make it a $7500 jeep. You sir, bleed 10W30.
I just wanted to share an interesting piece of information, here, regarding my "$750 Jeep". I just went through a fairly thorough investigation of how much I have spent since I agreed to purchase the TJ from the original owner. The number you are about to see is including the $750 cost of the TJ, but doesn't include the tools I bought as a result of wanting to do the work myself (ie: $1,300 worth of Miller welding equipment). And admittedly, it also includes at least one item for which I grossly overpaid (1st Dana 44...it was a learning curve), and two items that I bought with the intention of flipping them (a second Dana 44, and a second set of half doors). Still, any money I get back on those items will pale in comparison to what my plan for this thing has cost me to-date.

I bought the TJ in October of last year, and what started as a $750 purchase has grown to be a $9,402.91 indulgence. Sheeee-it!!! :facepalm:

I am so glad my wife doesn't get on this forum...

Holy Piggy Bank Batman.....that's become pretty spendy..lol so much for a cheap project huh.:rolleyes:
Just a thought...your not done yet :risas3:

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch and ac_
I just wanted to share an interesting piece of information, here, regarding my "$750 Jeep". I just went through a fairly thorough investigation of how much I have spent since I agreed to purchase the TJ from the original owner. The number you are about to see is including the $750 cost of the TJ, but doesn't include the tools I bought as a result of wanting to do the work myself (ie: $1,300 worth of Miller welding equipment). And admittedly, it also includes at least one item for which I grossly overpaid (1st Dana 44...it was a learning curve), and two items that I bought with the intention of flipping them (a second Dana 44, and a second set of half doors). Still, any money I get back on those items will pale in comparison to what my plan for this thing has cost me to-date.

I bought the TJ in October of last year, and what started as a $750 purchase has grown to be a $9,402.91 indulgence. Sheeee-it!!! :facepalm:

I am so glad my wife doesn't get on this forum...
You would probably cry if I told you what I spent on mine total. it is quite a bit more than you. I hope that makes you feel better.

Just think though you may be a lot of money into it, but when you are done it is going to be awesome and built the way you want. You are doing good!

Jeeps are built not bought!

Reactions: Squatch
You would probably cry if I told you what I spent on mine total. it is quite a bit more than you. I hope that makes you feel better.

Just think though you may be a lot of money into it, but when you are done it is going to be awesome and built the way you want. You are doing good!

Jeeps are built not bought!
Well, it does help somewhat, I guess. ;) I guess what gets me is that I've yet to drive this thing! At least others who are dropping coin on their rigs are able to use 'em. Best I can do is sit in the unbolted-down driver's seat and make engine noises! :drive:

Reactions: Kathy and Kiwi TJ
Well, it does help somewhat, I guess. ;) I guess what gets me is that I've yet to drive this thing! At least others who are dropping coin on their rigs are able to use 'em. Best I can do is sit in the unbolted-down driver's seat and make engine noises! :drive:

Well if I was there, I would sit in your unbolted passenger seat, and sit way back and pretend like we are going really fast (or like we are climbing a steep hill)!

Reactions: Kathy and Squatch
@Squatch

Sometimes my girl goes to bed, and I will head out to the garage for a couple hours. Sometimes I get a lot done other times I stare at it, and plan. I make small time goals. Like I will go out and say I am overwhelmed with a lot of stuff, but don't know where to start, so I set a goal where I say I am going to do that one thing tonight. Like for instance. It was so hot, and I still had a lot to do, but I took one night just to install the Anti-Rock.

Sometimes small goals will keep the progress going.

I am not sure really what is going on in your world, but I am hoping you can relate to my stories, and somehow they will help you in some indirect way.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Squatch
@Squatch

Sometimes my girl goes to bed, and I will head out to the garage for a couple hours. Sometimes I get a lot done other times I stare at it, and plan. I make small time goals. Like I will go out and say I am overwhelmed with a lot of stuff, but don't know where to start, so I set a goal where I say I am going to do that one thing tonight. Like for instance. It was so hot, and I still had a lot to do, but I took one night just to install the Anti-Rock.

Sometimes small goals will keep the progress going.

I am not sure really what is going on in your world, but I am hoping you can relate to my stories, and somehow they will help you in some indirect way.
I find stuff like you're saying encouraging, so feel free to continue to share. :)

One of the problems I have is that by the time I get home, it's 1:00am or later, and the neighbor's house is literally 8' away from my garage. The TJ is at a point where most of the stuff I need to work on requires some level of noise that far exceeds what would be acceptable. The sound would ricochet down the alley, for certain! Another issue is everything that's going on with the family life. Last weekend, a full day was spent heading up to the Canadian border with Darling Daughter and her hubbs, looking at and ultimately buying a Mazda MPV minivan. The day before that was home projects, but I did get to spend a couple of hours in the garage.

I know some folks might think I'm not dedicated enough to getting this done, but as much as I dig my little TJ, my family comes first. And right now, their needs are plenty! LOL The other issue is that I know I've got a bit of a project on my hands. As projects go, it's still small compared to my other cars. But it is a project, nonetheless, and I do enjoy it, as such. Still, it sure will feel great when I pull it out of the garage under its own power. ;)

Reactions: ac_ and Kiwi TJ
Ya I have the same problem and I have been known to make noise at 1AM I don't do it a lot and I feel bad when I do, but sometimes I cannot stop myself. Sometimes I use hand tools so to make less noise if it gets late.

I understand about family and seriously take all of the time you need. This is your project. Don't feel bad if you can't work on it, and don't feel pressure, Half the fun of building your Jeep is building your Jeep. When I get a full Saturday to wrench I get really happy about that, but trust me I have two trailers, and now 4 bikes used to be about 10, I have cars and trucks, and two cats. I feel your pain.

Don't give up, just be happy when you have time and set obtainable goals that keep you going and excited about the next time you get to work on it.

Also post pics! That helps because it entertains us and it makes it real to you!

You got this!

Ya I have the same problem and I have been known to make noise at 1AM I don't do it a lot and I feel bad when I do, but sometimes I cannot stop myself. Sometimes I use hand tools so to make less noise if it gets late.

I understand about family and seriously take all of the time you need. This is your project. Don't feel bad if you can't work on it, and don't feel pressure, Half the fun of building your Jeep is building your Jeep. When I get a full Saturday to wrench I get really happy about that, but trust me I have two trailers, and now 4 bikes used to be about 10, I have cars and trucks, and two cats. I feel your pain.

Don't give up, just be happy when you have time and set obtainable goals that keep you going and excited about the next time you get to work on it.

Also post pics! That helps because it entertains us and it makes it real to you!

You got this!
Thanks, Chief. Seriously, that was downright inspirational. I appreciate it! :) Oh, and I've done the same thing with regards to using the hand tools. Still, a hammer's a hammer, no matter how soft you swing it! LOL

Reactions: ac_ and Kiwi TJ