'98 Sahara build: "Staying the Course"

Hey, buddy, the last 5 pages, and the only photo we've gotten is:
View attachment 49791

There's gotta be something you can post up...we're dyin' here. We need build pics! A wrench on a nut, a big hammer waiting to be wielded, something...
When you spend a couple of hours removing surface rust off one side of an axle housing, I just figured it wasn't all that interesting. LOL Okay, I'll make a point of documenting more of my progress, or challenges, whichever the case may be. ;)

Reactions: lowranger
Okay! Okay! :facepalm: :D
Hey man are you putting dana 44's on there? I just went and looked at my 98 sahara on 33's and was like damn, 35 and assume the front is 30. .. wish I knew more when I was shopping. However I have seen them on craigslist for 900 and 1100. With and without brakes. What do you think is a fair price with and without brakes?

Hey man are you putting dana 44's on there? I just went and looked at my 98 sahara on 33's and was like damn, 35 and assume the front is 30. .. wish I knew more when I was shopping. However I have seen them on craigslist for 900 and 1100. With and without brakes. What do you think is a fair price with and without brakes?
Well, I know when I see a Dana 44 show up, it typically has drum brakes, and it usually sells fast (Craigslist). I see them now and then, and they are typically right in the price range you're seeing. I have one that I will be selling, and I will be throwing it on Craigslist for $1,200 because of its condition (45,000 miles, Trac Lok, 3.73 gears, and full caliper brake set-up). I think it will sell quickly, to be honest. Too bad you're about as far away from me as you can be, as I'd make a forum member a much better deal.
BTW, my Dana 35 grenaded...pics of it a few pages back in this thread. Nasty spider gears!

Reactions: Matt77
I bought mine for $800 with 3.73 gears and disc brakes. Then I opened her up and found this:
6CDF094E-9D18-4877-9EE8-99C8D57DAEB7.jpeg

So I texted the guy and he said. Man that is messed up. Then he offered to help me regear to make it right. He knows all that stuff. So for $1300 I’m getting a Dana 44 w disc brakes, new Revolution 4.56 gears front and rear, and ancillary items. Yeah buddy!
FCB52EF7-DB7A-4236-91E9-90B53FCA5D52.jpeg

I bought mine for $800 with 3.73 gears and disc brakes. Then I opened her up and found this:
View attachment 49850

So I texted the guy and he said. Man that is messed up. Then he offered to help me regear to make it right. He knows all that stuff. So for $1300 I’m getting a Dana 44 w disc brakes, new Revolution 4.56 gears front and rear, and ancillary items. Yeah buddy!
View attachment 49851
You got front and rear disc Dana 44's and repeated for 1300? Did you swap axles yourself? How involved is that? Did you put an ARB locker on it?

You got front and rear disc Dana 44's and repeated for 1300? Did you swap axles yourself? How involved is that? Did you put an ARB locker on it?
I just got a rear Dana 44, but bc that pinion tooth was broke he offered to regear both my Dana 30 and the Dana 44. Killer deal for me!!! The guy is very stand up.

Reactions: Matt77
Seller just contacted me with pics of the driver's window. The clear (Mylar?) is pretty torn up, so he said he felt he should drop the price $50. Sounds like a good kid, to me. Also, I found a local guy selling the door surrounds I'm missing for $80. Not sure what they go for, but being that I need 'em, that price works well enough for me. Looking forward to the drive, Saturday. About 3.5 hours each way. Throw in half a dozen Joe Cocker CD's in the Lincoln and hit the road! Yeah, Baby!!! :drive:
Mad Dogs and Englishmen!

Reactions: Squatch
It's 5:17am, and I just got back from a helluva Saturday run. Picked up my Millermatic 211 welder, as well as a Miller welding mask and some .030" wire. Was going to buy the cart as well, but it turns out it's a large solid construction piece that I just wasn't willing to put into the back of my Lincoln (leather seats). And as I was heading out from there to pick up the half-doors, there was no room in the trunk. So I'll just pick one up locally, or build my own. As for the half doors, the kid couldn't locate the keys, so wanted to take another $50 off the price. I wouldn't let him. He's a young fella, very polite and respectful, lower lip full of chew and loves wheelin'. Country, through and through. It was cool. I just felt like the $50 difference would mean more to him than it would to me. Headed out to visit with my eldest son and his Momma and her beau, and had some awesome Laotian home cookin'. The day was long, but everything I was hoping for. I'll get pics up when I can of the parts pile. It's growing, for sure. But for now, it's time for some sleep. This is why no one sees Squatches around. They sleep during the day, and are out at night...;)
As much as I’ve read here, I can’t believe you don’t own a truck or at least a trailer.

I've read ads that say the lower the winch, the better air flow to the radiator, thereby preventing overheating. And as we all know, if it says it in the ad, it must be true. ;) On the other side of it, ones like the plate I pictured claim the raised area acts as a scoop, of sorts, funneling air into the radiator area.
"Gee, Wally. How come two guys say two different things, and both say the other guy is wrong? They both can't be right, can they?"
"Gosh. I dunno, Beav I think maybe you better ask Dad. Old people know stuff like that."
"Yeah. I s'pose. Thanks, Wally."
Excellent referemce, and if it's not an actual quotation, it could be. Were things really simpler then?

Here are a few shots of what's available as a TJ parts resource from Olympic 4X4, plus their shop truck...which @Chris hasn't yet learned to appreciate. :D

View attachment 44947 View attachment 44948 View attachment 44949 View attachment 44951 View attachment 44952 View attachment 44953 View attachment 44954 View attachment 44955 View attachment 44956
@Chris How can one not appreciate that shop truck? I'm definitely visiting that yard when I visit the PNW at the end of the month!

Reactions: Chris and Squatch
Believe it or not, this is the kind of shit I truly enjoy following! Anybody can go online, order a new part, and install it, but you sir, are doing the research, doing the leg work, and restoring that rig like it should be done, and that is entertaining. I'm a fan!
+1 This thread is really fun to read as well as educational. Obviously some things carry over from my 96 XJ and my 87 MJ but the community here is awesome! Much friendlier and helpful overall. (For sure there are some really good people on other Jeep forums but you all are fanatical...., I mean focused.