98 TJ build log

jhinton088

After years of looking through the forum to get advice and some good interaction the last few days. I've gotten the advice to start a page about the build. I know In the next few months to years I'm gonna stumble on things that are a little to specific to just do a search so I'll put this up to log where I'm at, what I have going on, and use it for some advice that I know a bunch of you guys have.

The day I bought it.
IMAG0223.jpg

I picked up this bone stock 98 TJ sport in 2016. I've had countless jeeps; wranglers, xj's, 4.0's, Cherokees. When I got this jeep I knew I wanted to build it up to be a trail rig that was good on the trails and could drive the kids around for fun to the campgrounds around Michigan we go to. So far over the life I've had it, it's stayed kept up and only driven for fun but within the last year and a half I've been acquiring parts to finally start my build.

The build always starts out 33s, then 35s, and now a days 40s are common place (not that they're appropriate for the build they're under) but I had always wanted a jeep that whatever tire size I went to I actually planned out a somewhat proper build.

The jeep and build parts list/planned items so far (I know there's some parts had I known I would have went other routes)
98 TJ, 4.0, Ax15, on a set of 37 bfg krawlers, Raceline beadlocks, Front HP Dana 44 from a 1976 Ford with f250 dual piston 8 lug outers, warn premium locking hubs, 30 spline rcvs , rear jk standard Dana 44 with teraflex full float 35 spline 8 lug wide, TNT front truss for bracketry and front 3" stretch.
Iron rock off road 4 inch long arm kit 3 link/4 link ( front and rear control arms lengthened for stretch) went this route for bent arms, probably would have went another route but it was one of the first purchases, and a big one.

Front steering not established, Front suspension currently 4 inch coils and bilstein shocks, genright rear coilover bracketry, rear 12/14(not sure yet) king remote reservoir 2.0 coilovers, Genright crawler 23 gallon stretch tank, advanced adapters ssye, 1310 joints for driveshafts, brown dog mml, 1inch body lift, and Novak cable shifter.

I think that sums up about what I have, where it's headed and I'll try and post updates to get some help. The jeep as it sits is stock but I have a good 75% of the parts listed and have worked on a few things. It's not my first project but at this scale it definitely is larger then anything I've done. I'll be doing all the fab, axle work, gearing and what not. Just won't be swapping motor or trans at this point. Transfer case if I can get something better In there that I can get from a junk yard is a possibility but not thought about.

This all needs to be done in my driveway and my garage, both that get used and I'm always rotating things in and out of so it's all a big puzzle. The timing of what can get done with what I have, with the tools I have and the tools I had to get just to start the build has taken years. It's picking up steam and I'm actually getting things done so it should be fun to start talking about it more.

I tried the GenRight twisted pitman arm and had clearance issues. So I ended up going back to a flat pitman arm from Parts Mike. It's longer than needed but you can cut it and drill it for the length you want. And it isn't keyed like that GenRight arm is so you can set it how you want.
I've got about 2.75" front stretch and 5" in the rear. I've got the same 23 gallon tank also. I cut my frame and moved the arch back so that the axle is centered in it.

I tried the GenRight twisted pitman arm and had clearance issues. So I ended up going back to a flat pitman arm from Parts Mike. It's longer than needed but you can cut it and drill it for the length you want. And it isn't keyed like that GenRight arm is so you can set it how you want.
I've got about 2.75" front stretch and 5" in the rear. I've got the same 23 gallon tank also. I cut my frame and moved the arch back so that the axle is centered in it.

I actually have a flat blank pitman arm from wfo I bought a while ago I was going to use with the TNT front stretch kit. I like genright stuff and its less fab if their stuff works but the front stretch will get there one way or another.

Reactions: Wildman
I actually have a flat blank pitman arm from wfo I bought a while ago I was going to use with the TNT front stretch kit. I like genright stuff and its less fab if their stuff works but the front stretch will get there one way or another.

My build thread is long and I haven't made a directory on the first page where each thing was happening but if you look thru it you can find where I was trying out the GR twisted arm. And the TNT rotation was what helped me to move the axle forward.

My build thread is long and I haven't made a directory on the first page where each thing was happening but if you look thru it you can find where I was trying out the GR twisted arm. And the TNT rotation was what helped me to move the axle forward.

I'll have to check it out and to be honest I've looked into this so much I'm sure I've looked at your setup with the TNT front stretch if you've done it. I looked through a lot of the main forums for information about stretching the front. More on people doing the TNT not as much of the genright. I talked to the guys at genright and the gave me info about their arm and track bar. I still think I may go with their mount. But I'm still open to whatever works. You have a pretty extensive build I'll be sure to look through it and refresh.

I'll have to check it out and to be honest I've looked into this so much I'm sure I've looked at your setup with the TNT front stretch if you've done it. I looked through a lot of the main forums for information about stretching the front. More on people doing the TNT not as much of the genright. I talked to the guys at genright and the gave me info about their arm and track bar. I still think I may go with their mount. But I'm still open to whatever works. You have a pretty extensive build I'll be sure to look through it and refresh.

The two people on here that have the TNT stretch is myself and @NashvilleTJ , there might be others but these are the ones I know of.

Just got my teraflex full float kit. I don't know about any of you but even if something's not going on Immediately I have to dig through the boxes and see if everything is good, all there, and grab the instructions to start looking them over.

1000000235.jpg

When I originally called teraflex to get some info on the kit I wanted the standard 65inch jk width but with 35 spline shafts. They don't offer 65 with 35 spline only the wide kit so that's what I got. When it got here I wanted to see exactly where that width came from.
1000000255.jpg

Looks like that's it. So it's a spacer that bolts on to the original backing plate. The 65 inch non wide version is just a half inch plate instead of this 2 inch block. Not really any actual info on the difference listed by teraflex. Not a big deal now it's already here.
1000000244.jpg

1000000243.jpg

1000000248.jpg

From the looks of it the 35 spline shafts are just your standard shaft. So it makes me wonder if I could have just bought the standard full float kit and picked up a set of correct length Dana 60 shafts for somewhere like ECGS.
1000000238.jpg

Had to throw the hub in the wheel just to make sure it fit.

• Love
Reactions: Wildman and PNW_LJ
Just got my teraflex full float kit. I don't know about any of you but even if something's not going on Immediately I have to dig through the boxes and see if everything is good, all there, and grab the instructions to start looking them over.

View attachment 479896
When I originally called teraflex to get some info on the kit I wanted the standard 65inch jk width but with 35 spline shafts. They don't offer 65 with 35 spline only the wide kit so that's what I got. When it got here I wanted to see exactly where that width came from.
View attachment 479897
Looks like that's it. So it's a spacer that bolts on to the original backing plate. The 65 inch non wide version is just a half inch plate instead of this 2 inch block. Not really any actual info on the difference listed by teraflex. Not a big deal now it's already here.
View attachment 479898

View attachment 479899

View attachment 479900

From the looks of it the 35 spline shafts are just your standard shaft. So it makes me wonder if I could have just bought the standard full float kit and picked up a set of correct length Dana 60 shafts for somewhere like ECGS.

View attachment 479903

Looking good.

I was always curious about those full float kits, they look interesting.

Going manual hubs up front?

Looking good.

I was always curious about those full float kits, they look interesting.

Going manual hubs up front?

Yeah I don't see much on them so I don't mind testing them out. One of the big problems with jk rears is bending the shafts hopefully nothing bends now. As for the front I have a set of warn premium locking hubs.

You'll be very happy looking back at the thread you made of this rig.

I kicked myself when I didn’t make a legitimate timetable for my yellow TJ and now that I’ve been putting one together for my LJR it’s awesome to reflect back on the progress I’ve made.

That’s a good looking canvas, will be great to see updates once you get the parts in.

You'll be very happy looking back at the thread you made of this rig.

I kicked myself when I didn’t make a legitimate timetable for my yellow TJ and now that I’ve been putting one together for my LJR it’s awesome to reflect back on the progress I’ve made.

That’s a good looking canvas, will be great to see updates once you get the parts in.

Yeah I'm already glad I have something going. I've had the tj sitting so long and planning just the right build. Now that I have parts coming in and not really anyone to share them with this is a good outlet to get some feedback. My wife is really tired of hearing me talk about axle width with her.

Yeah I'm already glad I have something going. I've had the tj sitting so long and planning just the right build. Now that I have parts coming in and not really anyone to share them with this is a good outlet to get some feedback. My wife is really tired of hearing me talk about axle width with her.

I felt that to my core, though my wife still gets an earful about the Jeep outside this forum. 😉

Yeah I don't see much on them so I don't mind testing them out. One of the big problems with jk rears is bending the shafts hopefully nothing bends now. As for the front I have a set of warn premium locking hubs.

I had problems with my Warn hubs on my HP44 not locking all the time so I ended up going with slugs. Now I have the Yukon Hardcore hubs.

I had problems with my Warn hubs on my HP44 not locking all the time so I ended up going with slugs. Now I have the Yukon Hardcore hubs.

I picked up a rebuild kit from Jeff's bronco graveyard and it came with them although I have heard about some problems with them they should be ok for the time being. Locking hubs are a big plus because at the end of the day I'd love to have the jeep drive to where I go. Having the hubs disconnect will take off quite a bit of driving stress.

Got some time to sneak in the garage and throw in some ball joints. Kinda sucks Spicer ball joints don't come with clips or the top nut.

1000000260.jpg

1000000261.jpg

Got some time to sneak in the garage and throw in some ball joints. Kinda sucks Spicer ball joints don't come with clips or the top nut.

View attachment 480303

View attachment 480304

View attachment 479896
View attachment 479897
View attachment 479898

View attachment 479899

View attachment 479900

View attachment 479903

I just did the full kits front and rear on my JKUR. I stuck with 32 spline for now since I’m already regeared and still running factory lockers. They make you use the wide kit for the 35spline conversion because it’s parts interchangeability with there Tera 60 axle. You can order the Tera60 housing with a diff and nothing else and the hub conversion parts will all bolt into it I’m fairly certain.

I did the conversion so I could unlock the hubs, carry weight of camping gear better, reduce the likelihood of axle getting bent, etc. just an overall upgrade in load capacity and durability. I’m not out rock crawling the most technical stuff but I do have a family of 5 and we go camping and do MTB trips, and the weight stacks up quick.

IMG_1651.jpeg

IMG_1660.jpeg

IMG_1659.jpeg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ