98 TJ Replacement Radiator

tj_Joe

Hey Everyone,

New to the forum and 1st post. I have read this for a few years and it has come in helpful many times. So I Thank all you for that. That being said, I am a little stuck on this issue I am having. The PO of my 98 TJ used worm clamps on the upper hose to the radiator and decided that the more he torqued down the better it would be to stop the leaks coming from it instead of using the proper tension clamps. This caused the nipple to warp so badly I cannot get it to a round shape again as the metal is so soft, and the radiator is so old.

Now that the issue is out of the way, I have decided to just replace the radiator, thermostat, hoses and flush everything out since I have it apart. My main concern is everyone says not to use aluminum radiators. however when I called the Jeep dealer, that is exactly what they quoted me as a direct replacement. Now, 330 out the door is pricey, but is an important part that needs to be replaced. just wondering what your takes on it are since A) it is a MOPAR part, and B it is aluminum?

thanks..

Last edited:
There is no better replacement radiator than the OE Mopar unit, period. Not that I am aware of at least.

The OE unit lasts 10+ years, which speaks volumes.

They are indeed aluminum just like almost every other radiator, but they are built with factory quality in mind, unlike the Autozone specials, which are built to last maybe 3-4 years on average I would say.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
There is no better replacement radiator than the OE Mopar unit, period. Not that I am aware of at least.

The OE unit lasts 10+ years, which speaks volumes.

They are indeed aluminum just like almost every other radiator, but they are built with factory quality in mind, unlike the Autozone specials, which are built to last maybe 3-4 years on average I would say.

Thanks Chris, I just wanted to make sure I am on the right track. New to the Jeep community and trying to undo the last 10 years plus of the PO lack of maintenance. Once I get all the basics and leaking out of the way, then I hopefully plan to build it out a bit as it will still be my daily driver.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks Chris, I just wanted to make sure I am on the right track. New to the Jeep community and trying to undo the last 10 years plus of the PO lack of maintenance. Once I get all the basics and leaking out of the way, then I hopefully plan to build it out a bit as it will still be my daily driver.

I hear you! You're definitely on the right track 100%. There are many other radiator options out there, but Mopar still remains the best money can buy. The Autozone ones tend to last 3-4 years, and then you have to replace them. Yes, they come with a lifetime warranty, but I'd rather pay more for a radiator and not have to replace it every 3 years or so. After all, the labor involved in doing so has to amount to something (unless your time isn't worth anything) ;)

I have a '98 with the 4.0 and 3spd slushbox. OEM radiator part number is 52080184AB but looking it up by VIN it shows 52028123AB with a delightful "discontinued". Called the local dealer and it supersedes several times to a backordered part number 55037653AB to the tune of $523, or $300 online. Ouch.

The non-automatic radiators are $205. What's the consensus on bypassing the factory cooler and running an aux cooler such as a derale? I can't imagine running trans fluid through 210 degree coolant is doing it much good.

You're in Minnesota, your transmission would benefit from being helped to warm up a bit faster by using the OE automatic style radiator. The transmission will not normally run anywhere close to 210 though. Mine runs 130-140 or close most of the time.

You're in Minnesota, your transmission would benefit from being helped to warm up a bit faster by using the OE automatic style radiator. The transmission will not normally run anywhere close to 210 though. Mine runs 130-140 or close most of the time.
It's strictly a summer vehicle now, so I don't need to worry about winter startups.

Last edited:
I have a '98 with the 4.0 and 3spd slushbox. OEM radiator part number is 52080184AB but looking it up by VIN it shows 52028123AB with a delightful "discontinued". Called the local dealer and it supersedes several times to a backordered part number 55037653AB to the tune of $523, or $300 online. Ouch.

The non-automatic radiators are $205. What's the consensus on bypassing the factory cooler and running an aux cooler such as a derale? I can't imagine running trans fluid through 210 degree coolant is doing it much good.
I thought 330 out the door from the dealer was high. 500 is really up there. That said mine is a 5 speed but I don’t see that making up 200 difference.

Hey everyone, so I replaced the radiator and the thermostat. When I fill up the rad with coolant I get immediate leaks from what seems to be the water pump. I find it weird that this would start after replacing all the hoses and everything but I can se it happening. Any help would be great as I need to get to work on Monday.

Hey everyone, just an update in the event that this happens again:

I replaced everything in my TJ this weekend. Started with a new radiator and thermostat housing which was my original plan. Every time I dumped coolant in, it would come gushing out from what I thought was the water pump. So I opened her up completely and replaced the water pump. new gaskets hoses and tension clamps all the way around. Filled her up again and same issue. this time however since the front of the engine was nice and clean now, I actually saw that the leak was coming from my new thermostat housing gasket. Opened that back up and noticed the thermostat had dropped about 1/8 of an inch creating an air pocket and the seal was bad. replaced the gasket, however this time tacked the thermostat to this time tacked the thermostat up with a tad bit of RTV to keep in in place while I put the housing on (think I read it on here somewhere to make sure I got it right the second time). No more leaks.

All that being said, I got to know the cooling system om my TJ fairly intimately this weekend. Everything is now new including all hoses and clamps, RAD, Water Pump. Radiator Housing and thermostat. Just hoping I got all thje air bubbles out.

Good news is It hasn't climbed about 195 yet.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for the update! Let us know if it's all fixed when you find out.

tj_Joe & GASnBRASS,

Curious what radiators you ended up using for your repair. I have a 99, Sahara, 4.0, 32rh. auto trans. I'm finding that the original Mopar part is discontinued, same as you. One dealer advised that the revised part "55037653AB" was not listed in his parts system as compatible with my vehicle and may not work (although he seemed unsure).

Curious if your Wranglers are similar configuration and year as mine. If so, were you able to install the 55037653AB part without any trouble?

thanks,
Rob

tj_Joe & GASnBRASS,

Curious what radiators you ended up using for your repair. I have a 99, Sahara, 4.0, 32rh. auto trans. I'm finding that the original Mopar part is discontinued, same as you. One dealer advised that the revised part "55037653AB" was not listed in his parts system as compatible with my vehicle and may not work (although he seemed unsure).

Curious if your Wranglers are similar configuration and year as mine. If so, were you able to install the 55037653AB part without any trouble?

thanks,
Rob
WranglertjsOhio,

I have a 5 speed standard. If I remember correctly the part numbers differed between the auto and the standard, however mine was available at the dealer. The dealer, even if discontinued should have a replacement. Mine is a year older and they had it in the next day for me.

I changed out my radiator 8 years ago in my 98 4.0L manual. It was the first time I replaced it and bought one off RockAuto (non-Mopar). Haven't had any issues with it and seems to be going strong. When I heard the possibility of discontinued Mopar radiators, I bought one online for a pretty good deal but don't remember the exact cost. Want to say it was under $300 or else I wouldn't have bought it. Saving it for the next replacement.

@tj_Joe, do you remember what part number you went with for your radiator? I have a 97 4.0 5 speed, so that should be the same radiator that you use. I’m getting lost online trying to figure out what one will actually work. Not keen on spending $440 through rockauto for 5102983AA.

@tj_Joe, do you remember what part number you went with for your radiator? I have a 97 4.0 5 speed, so that should be the same radiator that you use. I’m getting lost online trying to figure out what one will actually work. Not keen on spending $440 through rockauto for 5102983AA.

I have a 98 4.0 5 speed and i got 55037652AA from ebay. Paid $210 for it

Last edited:
I have a 98 4.0 5 speed and i got 55037652AA from ebay. Paid $210 for it
Awesome. Did you have any issues with the fit, or have to change anything to accommodate it? Looking at the fitment, everything I'm seeing says that one is for the 2002-2006. Really hoping it works because it's half the price of the 5102 model.

Awesome. Did you have any issues with the fit, or have to change anything to accommodate it? Looking at the fitment, everything I'm seeing says that one is for the 2002-2006. Really hoping it works because it's half the price of the 5102 model.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/jeep-wrangler-tj-cooling-system-overhaul-faq.3397/

Take a look at this post, it helped me a lot. 55037652AA is the part number for 1997-1999 4.0 manual transmission. It fit in my jeep with no modifications or problems

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/jeep-wrangler-tj-cooling-system-overhaul-faq.3397/

Take a look at this post, it helped me a lot. 55037652AA is the part number for 1997-1999 4.0 manual transmission. It fit in my jeep with no modifications or problems
Thanks a lot for the info. I read through the post you linked, but just wanted to verify the part number, as I couldn’t find anywhere else that lists that part for the 97-99 jeeps like ours. Knowing that it worked for you gives me the confidence to buy it. Going on Rockauto for around $190 currently.