99 tj 4.0 swapped to a 95 4.0?

Josport

Hello everyone, I have a 99 tj with a 4.0 that was my daily driver for 2 years while at college until about 5 months ago I blew the head gasket and locked the engine up. Now that I’m graduated I want to get it back to driving. The fastest way would be to swap in another 4.0 I believe. Eventually I would love to swap in a V8 but with my current situation it’s just unreasonable. My original plan was to buy a remanufactured 99 4.0 out of a tj from gearheadengines.com which would be about $1800. Today a coworker of mine said he would sell me a “95” 4.0 for scrap price. He knows literally nothing about the engine other than it came with a Jeep his dad bought. My question is should I chance that engine or just go with the remand one? I did find a thread that said I would need to keep some of my original parts off the 99 4.0 and put them on the 95. My biggest issue is my Jeep is at my dads shop which happens to be 6 hours from where I live so I have limited time to work on the Jeep. I’m wanting to do a direct swap unless you guys have another idea.

I believe the engine accessories are in different locations and may not even have the correct bolt bosses to mount the '99 accessories on the '95 block and the fact that your friend knows nothing about the condition of the '95 engine would be two reasons to go with the remanufactured '99 engine.

I believe the engine accessories are in different locations and may not even have the correct bolt bosses to mount the '99 accessories on the '95 block and the fact that your friend knows nothing about the condition of the '95 engine would be two reasons to go with the remanufactured '99 engine.
That’s kinda the route I was leaning also.

99 to 95 won't work without modification to engine mounts and more.

Like above said, go with a reman'd engine with a warranty, that you know is direct bolt-in