'99 TJ Steering Problems

nightsight

Hi everyone, it's my first post here!
I've been looking for a while for a good deal for Tj in Australia and I found one for 3700AUD (2600USD) i think it was cheap...
It's a Right hand drive '99 Automatic Sahara 4.0l
It was used on a farm and it was it dirty as hell, so I was working for a week to clean it.

From mechanical perspective there is one serious leak from steering box, and just a few drops after a long ride from the front differential.
The steering is loose. I tried to put a bottle of Lucas stop leak, but the leak is the same as before. Money back?

The leak is so big that I can't find the major source of it, should I replace the steering box? inspect the pump somehow?
The problem is the left hand drive steering box cost 140USD and the right hand drive cost 400USD.
I don't need a heavy duty steering box as I run on a stock wheels and I don't plan to do a lot of offroad.
I assume it's not possible to mount the left hand drive version in mine?

What's the cheapest and easiest way to fix it?

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG

IMG_5099 2.JPG

I found seal kits on ebay.au for $41 AUD I also found a used box for $275 AUD.

Clean it up with a can of engine degreaser and a power washer. Let it dry completely and get a friend to start the engine while you take a look. Might be an o-ring, or a loose or bad hose. I did a quick search and could not locate any rhd durangos.

Thank you for your replies, I inspected the pump and pipes and it looks dry, all the leak is from the box.
I start looking for a box, cause it seems really hard to reseal the box with seal kit.

Reactions: Chris