A/C loses its charge, can’t find the leak

Pick up a Harbor Freight refrigerant sniffer, not expensive and it finally located the culprit that dye could not. Dam thing was an internal leak in the LP switch that never showed dye.

Reactions: CharlesHS
I must have missed that you already replaced the evaporator coil. Testing the low and high pressure switches with the electronic sniffer is definitely a good idea. I would also do a thorough check on the condenser coil with soap bubbles.

*Bump*

Late to the party, but I just replaced - what I thought was - my whole AC system. Compressor, condenser, accumulator, and orifice tube. It worked for three days. Now it is blowing warm again after sitting for five days. I only replaced everything since it was Original and I'm the third owner (now living in Houston) and I don't think it was ever previously fixed/serviced/replaced.

I'm debating whether or not to take it in for a dye test, but I've got to think after losing all my refrigerant in just five days, I have a decent sized leak.

I'm going to try to swap out the cap/valve (from the link posted in a previous response) to see if that is where things are leaking. But I have a feeling it may be my evaporator in the Dash. Before I take the entire thing apart. Anyone ever do this? And how much of a PITA is it? Worth it to take it to someone?

Mine turned out to be the evaporator core, still waiting to get it into the shop (115 degrees was fun) sure hope that fixes it

*Bump*

Late to the party, but I just replaced - what I thought was - my whole AC system. Compressor, condenser, accumulator, and orifice tube. It worked for three days. Now it is blowing warm again after sitting for five days. I only replaced everything since it was Original and I'm the third owner (now living in Houston) and I don't think it was ever previously fixed/serviced/replaced.

I'm debating whether or not to take it in for a dye test, but I've got to think after losing all my refrigerant in just five days, I have a decent sized leak.

I'm going to try to swap out the cap/valve (from the link posted in a previous response) to see if that is where things are leaking. But I have a feeling it may be my evaporator in the Dash. Before I take the entire thing apart. Anyone ever do this? And how much of a PITA is it? Worth it to take it to someone?
Since you have spent a sizable amount of money on the A/C system components and a leak still exists; having the dye injected to locate the leak(s) would be the best course of action instead of shot gunning the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: fourpointzero
*Bump*

I've done more evaporator cores than I care to remember. Everyone is a pain in the ass.
Wranglers are not that bad compared to some other vehicles I do. Have a shop evacuate the system first.

Evaporator cores are pretty common in wranglers. while your in there replace the heater core.

Reactions: CharlesHS
*Bump*

I’d do it yourself after having a shop evac the system completely. It’s really not that bad of a weekend project and you get more experience Working on your jeep plus probably doing a better job taking your time then paying someone else to throw it together as fast as they can. Just my opinion

Reactions: fourpointzero
I’ve had good luck with a cheap electronic leak detector. Doesn’t take very long to pay itself off.

Cheapest fix would be if it was the schrader valves. Worst case it's the evap core. When my AC crapped out I ran the dye through the system and found the leaks, luckily. So I'd suggest the dye.