A deal on a Rubicon?

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
I found an '04 Rubicon with 135,000 miles on it. Bone stock. Automatic. Clean inside and out, and was told it runs out beautifully. The dealer has it listed as a "Mechanic's Special", so I inquired as to why. He said there is a rust hole on the frame "in front of one of the rear tires". Said the rest of the frame seems clean. Asking price: $8,000.

Okay, I know there's the potential for more frame rust than meets the eye, but let's just suppose that there is truly a single area of concern. If that one area needs to be repaired, and there's no evidence that there are rust issues elsewhere, is this a deal, or not? I'm looking for opinions before committing to driving a couple of hours to look at it. Again, I know that where there's smoke, there's fire. But sometimes, smoke is just smoke. Maybe the thing truly has the one area of concern, and that's it. What then? An $8,000 Rubicon...?
00n0n_1GjWjYnXl7F_600x450.jpg

Look at it this way Dana 44s with the Factory lockers pump and transfer case.
Hardtop. Might be worth it just in parts.

Reactions: StG58
Look at it this way Dana 44s with the Factory lockers pump and transfer case.
Hardtop. Might be worth it just in parts.
I've already got one project on my hands, and not looking to play the "parting out" game (no room for it at home). I'd take it to my buddy's shop and have the frame repaired. I do see your point, however...

Rust-free and half the mileage of my subject matter, so I can see the price difference. ;)

Can you get them to send you pictures of the frame? Whats clean to one person isn't necessarily to another. I'd also be concerned with internal frame rust, just might only see it outside at one point but it might be rusting on the inside. Idk I just don't believe in deals from dealers but call me a skeptic, theres so many databases and things this day to help price vehicles, I feel it's that cost for a reason

Can you get them to send you pictures of the frame? Whats clean to one person isn't necessarily to another. I'd also be concerned with internal frame rust, just might only see it outside at one point but it might be rusting on the inside. Idk I just don't believe in deals from dealers but call me a skeptic, theres so many databases and things this day to help price vehicles, I feel it's that cost for a reason
I agree, in general, with your viewpoint. Still, sometimes someone doesn't truly know what they have. It may just be a Jeep to him. As far as the frame rust goes, after dealing with my own TJ's issues, the only way I'd even consider this thing is after I personally inspect the frame.

I've already got one project on my hands, and not looking to play the "parting out" game (no room for it at home). I'd take it to my buddy's shop and have the frame repaired. I do see your point, however...

Offer your buddy beer and burgers to ride up and have a look with you. Any excuse for beer and burgers, is a good excuse for beer and burgers.

Reactions: Starrs and Squatch
He had the rig priced at $10,000, and now it's at $8,000. Maybe other Jeep guys have looked it over and passed on it because the frame is, in fact, in really rough shape. If that's the case, this home-slice doesn't want anything to do with it. But I just don't know. In general, I don't trust dealers, either. This is a tiny lot. Don't know if that works for or against them in my perception of them. The rig will speak for itself, I guess. I would just hate to blow the better part of the day if it's all for naught.

Reactions: StG58 and tomtaylz
He had the rig priced at $10,000, and now it's at $8,000. Maybe other Jeep guys have looked it over and passed on it because the frame is, in fact, in really rough shape. If that's the case, this home-slice doesn't want anything to do with it. But I just don't know. In general, I don't trust dealers, either. This is a tiny lot. Don't know if that works for or against them in my perception of them. The rig will speak for itself, I guess. I would just hate to blow the better part of the day if it's all for naught.

Yeah it was in NJ all its life so rust belt through and through

Yeah it was in NJ all its life so rust belt through and through

Wow a NJ Jeep in Washington state.

I think this is a case “where there is smoke there is fire”. But like you said you would have to inspect the whole frame

Definitely worth a look for 8k. I suspect there is more rust though, sadly. Rubicons don't sit at that price in the PNW.