A few rookie questions

Cbrianroll

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Good idea to have in one spot?….

1- unknown lift needs new bushings, can these be measured and ordered per size or do they need to be from the maker?
2- gearing…first time to figure out the math, but have helped a buddy install before. Axle tags are missing so I sure of current count, he thought 3:73 stock..I will spin it tonite and count it… but it has not been changed as it is terrible. Previous owner supplied 4:56, but now I’m wondering if 4:88 might be better? Or even ??

I like reading up on stuff so a link would be appreciated, but if you feel chatty that is great too!

Thanks for your time…

1. Bushings just have to be proper size.
2. AX-5, 2.5L, and what tire size ________? You're current gear ratio is 4.10 if it's stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: The4bangertj

1- unknown lift needs new bushings, can these be measured and ordered per size or do they need to be from the maker?

If they're factory (oem), easier to buy new arms.
If they're not, post a picture and someone might be able to tell what you need.

2- gearing…first time to figure out the math, but have helped a buddy install before. Axle tags are missing so I sure of current count, he thought 3:73 stock..I will spin it tonite and count it… but it has not been changed as it is terrible. Previous owner supplied 4:56, but now I’m wondering if 4:88 might be better? Or even ??

I like reading up on stuff so a link would be appreciated, but if you feel chatty that is great too!

Thanks for your time…

You never mentioned your tire size, but 4.56 works great for me with 33” tires. ‘Just my opinion.

You never mentioned your tire size, but 4.56 works great for me with 33” tires. ‘Just my opinion.

Click on view profile. 🤫

Birthday Jul 13, 1974 (Age: 48 )Location Washington
Occupation Construction coordinator What year is your Wrangler?1997What model is your Wrangler?SeWhat engine is in your Wrangler?2.5What kind of transmission is in your Wrangler?Manual -ax5?What mods do you have?4in short arm lift
33x12x15 tires

Sorry, I forgot to put tire size down.
Stupid tires say 33in but measure out at just under 32in….
Few tires measure the diameter shown on the sidewall. Measuring their diameter with the tires sitting on the ground won't give an accurate measurement, I'd go to the tire manufacturer's website to see what it says. My 35" Goodyear MT/R tires were only something like 34.4 or 34.5" per Goodyear's website.

Sorry, I forgot to put tire size down.
Stupid tires say 33in but measure out at just under 32in….

You could still downshift on hills at 70 and pull the hill at those rpm’s. First chart is 4.10 on left and 4.88 on right.

DFDD9330-A706-4DA9-AF0B-30B71A4ED847.png

Second chart is 4.10 on left and 5.13 on right. You may not have to downshift at all on hills at 70 with this ratio.

31023C33-875A-4249-87FA-F9030E32FEAD.png

4.88 for the 4 banger and 33s.

Depending on the lift height and arm style you are better off getting different arms or joints. Stock arms are a good option at low lift

A bad pick…rears are the same. Not sure what color they were new, these were painted grey from P.O.

14D040E6-5F9C-40A2-B7E1-30C7E2C6C093.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool to see the differences, thanks!

Don't fear the gear. The i-4's and i-6's love rpms in the 3000+ range. If you drop below 2800rpm on a hill the gear will not pull it. You'll have to downshift. So, you want, IMHO, more than 2850rpm at 70mph, and that's cutting it close.

Sorry, technical difficulties, or I’m dumb..a little different format than I am used to.
I appreciate all the gear info I can get, the most I’ve done before is motorcycle sprockets…not too complicated…