A history of the AMC / Jeep 4.0 engine

I brought it back from the dead (in a zombie-kind of fashion...). The guy I traded it to for some metal work runs a street rod shop that builds $100,000 street rods. Says he'd rather drive the old Rambler any day. Still owns it some 13 years later!

Reactions: UpperMI
I brought it back from the dead (in a zombie-kind of fashion...). The guy I traded it to for some metal work runs a street rod shop that builds $100,000 street rods. Says he'd rather drive the old Rambler any day. Still owns it some 13 years later!

Sorry to hear you didn’t get your hog or weed eater for the rambler. Sheet metal work is good, just not as good as bacon and a well Manicured front lawn.

Reactions: Squatch
Oh, hell yeah. I know a guy...who knows another guy... who can hook you up. :) Seriously, once you have connections, it's a breeze. Well...it's doable. ;)

Crazy! That’s nice to know though. Seems like a classic car that most of us can actually afford!

Reactions: Shane Mckinley
Crazy! That’s nice to know though. Seems like a classic car that most of us can actually afford!
There is also an aspect of it that most people don't realize. Unlike the Bowtie crowd, for instance, Rambler folks will sell parts to other Rambler folks at a reasonable price...sometimes dirt cheap...just to help keep another Rambler on the road. This is absolutely not an exaggeration. We tend to understand that we're low man on the totem pole, so we watch out for each other. It's an awesome thing to experience. The only folks who don't seem to adhere to this philosophy are the guys who buy an AMC/Rambler because it's just a "cool old car", or to flip it, and aren't truly fans of the marque. They tend to over-value what they have. Anyways, good folks abound in the Rambler world...

Last edited:
There is also an aspect of it that most people don't realize. Unlike the Bowtie crowd, for instance, Rambler folks will sell parts to other Rambler folks at a reasonable price...sometimes dirt cheap...just to help keep another Rambler on the road. This is absolutely not an exaggeration. We tend to understand that we're low man on the totem pole, so we watch out for each other. It's an awesome thing to experience. The only folks who don't seem to adhere to this philosophy are the guys who buy an AMC/Rambler because it's just a "cool old car", or to flip it, and aren't truly fans of the marque. They tend to over-value what they have. Anyways, good folks abound in the Rambler world...

That's pretty cool to know! I feel like it's sort of similar with Jeep Wranglers. Maybe not entirely, but close!