Engine swap from a 2.5 to a 4.0 (1997 TJ with Manual Transmission)

Sandman007

I am looking for some advice for an engine swap. I have a 1997 TJ that I have done axle swaps already and am running 35’s on. I was planning on doing a hemi swap but was recently approached by a friend that is selling a rebuilt 4.0 L engine that came off a 1990 Jeep Cherokee. Is this swap possible and what potential hurdles should I expect to encounter? Would I be better off sticking with the hemi swap? Thanks in advance for the input.

I am looking for some advice for an engine swap. I have a 1997 TJ that I have done axle swaps already and am running 35’s on. I was planning on doing a hemi swap but was recently approached by a friend that is selling a rebuilt 4.0 L engine that came off a 1990 Jeep Cherokee. Is this swap possible and what potential hurdles should I expect to encounter? Would I be better off sticking with the hemi swap? Thanks in advance for the input.

For the amount of work that is required to swap in the 4.0 you could of had a V-8. While doing a Hemi swap is COOL as heck and is one nice engine since you have a 1997 are you aware of the additional work required for the Hemi swap? If you're just looking for the V-8 power you're easier option (while not as much power as a Hemi) is a Jeep or Dodge magnum V-8 in either a 5.2 or 5.9 version.

Here's one thread on the interchangeability of the 4.0.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/4-0-cylinder-block-interchangeability.16801/

Here is some Hemi swap info.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/hemi-swap-resource-thread.37529/

And welcome to the forum.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I really appreciate the help and this is some great information. This is more about spending time with my son and having fun learning. Thanks again

I've heard of XJ engine swaps into a TJ but nothing as far back as a 1990 XJ 4.0.

I'm going to tag @mrblaine in this one since he's swapped enough engines that he knows each and every little detail you're going to encounter. My gut tells me you'd be better off finding a newer 4.0 though.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That's a hard pass chief..to make life easier try to stick with a donor engine of the same year or newer.

Reactions: Rickyd
You'll need everything, engine wiring harness, pcm, but the engine harness will be different and need the ability to read a wiring diagram since the year and body are waaaay apart. So you'll need a wiring diagram for both vehicles.
I did this with a MJ, but newer engine and harness into older body, spent a lotta time reconfiguring and routing circuits.
I honestly would look for something newer around the same year. I wouldn't swap a renix system into a 97.

I really appreciate the help and this is some great information. This is more about spending time with my son and having fun learning. Thanks again

Then I would suggest finding a wrecked Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.2 or 5.9 magnum V-8 and swap it if you want a little more power and an EASY swap. The magnum engine uses the same style of PCM as the Jeep so it will talk to the stock dash.

You need a new transmission & t-case plus motor mount & wiring to swap in a 4.0 & the same for the V-8. You can run a AX-15 manual or a 4 speed auto.
If you're going to run a manual then a Dodge Ram or Dakota truck could be used as a donor also. The plus to using Jeep V-8 & auto is it put the starter on the passenger side where as with the Dodge engine it's on the drivers side.

I have a stroked 5.9 that is now a 6.7 in my TJ I'm rebuilding. I had a 5.2 V-8 in it at first. There are a lot of threads about the magnum swap on here and other forums.