A Jeep Called Scout

EJ4130

First off, I want to thank all of you on the forum for your expertise and support over the past several months. It's been a great tool to use while I searched for an LJR, and I appreciate all the feedback shared. If there is anything anyone may need in central Ohio, don't hesitate to reach out.

As a bit of a background, I'm reintroducing myself to jeeps after my sister and brother-in-law purchased a new LJ in 2004. After trading my truck for their jeep for a month one summer, I've had an itch to try to find my own LJ. That search shifted over the past several months as I decided to narrow my search in on the "right" LJR.

While I originally had a pretty broad search criteria, I soon narrowed it down. I essentially wanted something to cruise and scout crops in the summer, with the potential to do a limited build down the road for light trails. That essentially eliminated complex builds from the search and put a higher priority on clean rigs with manageable miles. I knew I wouldn't be putting many miles on a year, yet didn't want to start out with 200k+. The recommendations from the forum placed rust-free at the top of that list which expanded my search to the South/Southwest/West coast. After driving a few 6 speeds, I narrowed the search to Auto's for ease of driving. Color wasn't critical, yet there were a few preferences.

That search eventually led to an intent to purchase a 2005 LJR last week in TN. After arriving at the rig, we soon realized it may not be right for me if they held to their asking price. When we were not able to come to terms, my wife and I pulled out of the dealership with an empty trailer, and prepared to head north. I proposed that we could take a look at a few more options further South, and my wife, being the champ she is, gave me the thumbs up. So the journey continued. After 1258 miles in 2 days, we eventually arrived back at our farm shop with a 2006 LJR on the trailer.

A few notes on the current status of a Jeep Called "Scout" :
  • 2006 LJR
    • 37,300 miles
    • 1 Owner
      • Carfax listed two. Yet after chatting with the former owner, he confirmed he purchased it in CO and then moved to NC in retirement.
      • Essentially, it was a fun vehicle for their summers in Colorado, and was parked in his warehouse during the winter.
      • He noted that they took it off the pavement one time in CO, "which was pretty fun" according to him. :)
    • Completely Stock (including stock hard top/soft top)
      • Only add-in's were weathertech floor mats, a spare tire cover, and a sweet sun-glass holder. There were step bars on it, that were removed.
    • Price: Knowing others are curious...I eventually did a bit of old fashioned bartering by offering a hunting lease in exchange for price point. I will say that I ended up on the high end of of the market and over $20k. Ultimately, I followed my grandfather's advice when he suggested "Don't worry about paying more for something that you really want. Something that you don't want will become more expensive in the end."
Build Notes: I'll add a disclaimer that this may be the most boring build thread in the history of the forum as I'm not sure I'll do much of anything for a little while. I've got a shade ordered, and working on a hard top lift and seat covers which may be as exciting as it gets! I love the look and features on the stock unit for now. As low miles as it is, it may stay that way long term. We will see if that holds in the future.

I'll attach a few pictures below, and will be open to recommendations and feedback as I've appreciated it through the process. Thanks again and thanks in advance!

Cheers!

IMG_7660.JPG

IMG_7722.JPG

IMG_7706.JPG

IMG_7707.JPG

IMG_7708.JPG

IMG_7709.JPG

IMG_7717.JPG

IMG_7671.JPG

IMG_7674.JPG

IMG_7678.JPG

IMG_7679.JPG

IMG_7680.JPG

IMG_7681.JPG

IMG_7682.JPG

IMG_7686.JPG

IMG_7687.JPG

IMG_7688.JPG

IMG_7689.JPG

IMG_7690.JPG

IMG_7693.JPG

IMG_7701.JPG

IMG_7703.JPG

IMG_7697.JPG

Last edited:
I'd say you've done very well for yourself, glad you passed on the TN LJ, and it's worth every cent you paid. I vote for as few mods as necessary, for as long as you can hold out.

Congratulations, that is one fine looking LJ.
Thx. Wish Goodyear still made the stock tires as it would complete the look...

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
Nice LJR! That red LJ, what size lift and tires are those? Curious to see if you have more pictures of it as it’s the same bumper setup as me and I like the stance of that red LJ
Funny thing is that my bro-in law sold it to his uncle in Montana for a few years and just recently bought it back. He’s going to check his uncles records yet we’re thinking it’s about 2” lift with 31x10.5s. He did have same size tire on previously with stock wheels and the offset difference created a bit of a rub when turning. I’ll try to post a reply when I have better info.

Wheel city motors had it. They get all kinds of cool jeeps.
That would be correct. You’ve got the market nailed.

They were good guys to work with and I will have an inside future track considering they’re hunting my property for the next couple years. If anyone is still looking, I’ll see if they would give me a heads up.

Funny sideline story: when their online guy listed it originally, he mentioned that he got more hate mail from the high listing price than he got from anything else.

Reactions: Starrs