A Kiwi in Moab: Suggestions please

JoshNZ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi all,

My partner (an Oregonian) and I will be travelling back to the states (we live in New Zealand) for a few weeks in August. We come back at least once a year, and each time embark on a big road trip, this time we're going to Moab.

We will only be there for a few days, and will be in her stock JKU that she still has at her parent's place.

Neither of us has ever been, for me its a landscape I've never ever seen outside of TV and movies* and also the Holy Grail of Jeepin', I'm very excited

So, suggestions, please?
What are the "must do hikes"
Are there any (super) easy trails we can take her stock JKU, that will give good scenery, and so I can say I've wheeled in Moab ;)
What are the top Jeep tourist things to do while there?

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

*New Zealand has such a large variety of landscapes, beaches, bush, mountains, rainforests etc,
I've driven the US west coast, through Monatana and the Canadian Rockies, don't get me wrong, it's amazing, but its all stuff you can see in NZ (on a smaller scale)
What we don't have is desert and these crazy canyonlands which to me, only exist in Western Movies. Hence my excitement!

I hear ya mate...Im planning on going out there next Easter.
The link @Thunderhead gave you is a great read with plenty of pics to amuse and amaze. I have done the grand canyon about 20 years ago and the memories of that place still get me excited.

Reactions: JoshNZ
Reactions: mots
Agreed with Mots. Must do top of the list is Delicate Arch.

Southern Utah is awesome. So much great hiking.

Last edited:
Now, hear me out, I don't want to be "that guy"..

But a trail like Hell's revenge is surely going to net me the coolest Jeeps I'll never see here in NZ? It's such an infamous trail I can only assume it's going to always be busy? Are there enough bi-passes that I could do it? My research tells me yes... I won't be committing to anything until I talk to someone in the know at the time with regards to conditions etc. I'll make sure there is a group we can tag along with etc, but I'm still curious about opinions from this forum.

I'm assuming we will only have time for 1 trail and maybe 2 hikes, so I'd love the trail to be something that we can confidently pass but still test the Jeeps capabilities, yield amazing views, and most importantly, allow me to watch others tackle some amazing obstacles. Am I asking too much?

Last edited:
Also,have you thought about the north rim of the Grand Canyon? You're not that far away, and the majority of the visitors are on the other side.

Also,have you thought about the north rim of the Grand Canyon? You're not that far away, and the majority of the visitors are on the other side.
I've seen the Grand Canyon from the usual side, so the preference is more so Arches national park etc

These trips are unfortunately always quick fly-throughs. One day when we move back we will be taking time to really explore, so Southern Utah etc will have to be next time. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Now, hear me out, I don't want to be "that guy"..

But a trail like Hell's revenge is surely going to net me the coolest Jeeps I'll never see here in NZ? It's such an infamous trail I can only assume it's going to always be busy? Are there enough bi-passes that I could do it? My research tells me yes... I won't be committing to anything until I talk to someone in the know at the time with regards to conditions etc. I'll make sure there is a group we can tag along with etc, but I'm still curious about opinions from this forum.

I'm assuming we will only have time for 1 trail and maybe 2 hikes, so I'd love the trail to be something that we can confidently pass but still test the Jeeps capabilities, yield amazing views, and most importantly, allow me to watch others tackle some amazing obstacles. Am I asking too much?

This is a good guide as to how hard the trails are
https://www.ebay.com/p/Guide-to-Moa...MIqePL9paz4gIVk7bACh2aYg8jEAQYASABEgL6gvD_BwE
A stock JKU can do a lot of those trails. Just learn how to use 4L and lockers. Disconnect, air down. It’s a Jeep. Jeep it

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
JKU Rubicon or JKU?

Dead Horse Point is great views/easy drive you could tackle stock

White Rim for hikes.

Hell’s Revenge, probably not

Fins and Things, yes

Reactions: Thunderhead
JKU Rubicon or JKU?

Dead Horse Point is great views/easy drive you could tackle stock

White Rim for hikes.

Hell’s Revenge, probably not

Fins and Things, yes

Not a Rubicon..

OK, awesome. Yea I've already talked myself out of the Hell's revenge idea... It will just have to be next time when it's my own Jeep

Dead Horse Point looks amazing! Such a unique landscape

and thanks for the Fins and Things suggestion, that's a current front runner

I hiked two days around the Arches in the eighties and could not get enough. In a 1969 VW bus so we could not do trails. Drove it from Nashville TN. over the Rockies. Enjoy your trip.

Not a Rubicon..

OK, awesome. Yea I've already talked myself out of the Hell's revenge idea... It will just have to be next time when it's my own Jeep

Dead Horse Point looks amazing! Such a unique landscape

and thanks for the Fins and Things suggestion, that's a current front runner

There are tons of trails you can do. You probably have LSD and the Hill desert feature. I’ll go through my book in the next few days and make some suggestions. We just got back a couple weeks ago. The scenery is epic. I’m still picking my jaw up off the floor.

Antelope canyon is in Arizona, 4.5 hours from Moab. I've never been, but it's crazy. My boss went a year or two ago and he took pics that were crazy. Horseshoe bend is right there too. Crazy stuff, surreal.