A little help from Savvy skid owners

Stinkbug

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I am looking for a little help from Savvy skid owners… I have an engine skid that is very similar to a Savvy skid. However, mine does not have a port for draining the oil. I am growing weary of pulling the skid to change the oil and will be cutting a port.

I found this picture of the Savvy skid on this site and marked it up a bit in the hopes someone can save me a little time in laying out the proper location. I am pretty confident the Blaine thought the location through and I want to try and replicate it.

If anyone can provide me with those measurements, I would really appreciate it.

IMG_0881.jpeg

I am looking for a little help from Savvy skid owners… I have an engine skid that is very similar to a Savvy skid. However, mine does not have a port for draining the oil. I am growing weary of pulling the skid to change the oil and will be cutting a port.

I found this picture of the Savvy skid on this site and marked it up a bit in the hopes someone can save me a little time in laying out the proper location. I am pretty confident the Blaine thought the location through and I want to try and replicate it.

View attachment 510089

No problem. Mine is unboxed in a corner in my garage. I’ll be out of bed in a few hours and will get you the measurements.

View attachment 510089

We put a spot of clay on the skid, pushed it up against the oil pan drain plug and that was the center of the diamond. ;)

View attachment 510089

A= 13 7/16"
1000002922.jpg

B= 3 3/8"

1000002923.jpg

C= 2"
1000002924.jpg

D= 18 15/16"
1000002925.jpg

Hope that helps!

Ya'll do know that he is going to use those numbers, cut the hole and then be pissy when it doesn't line up under the drain, right? There is enough margin for error front to back to almost completely miss that hole when the oil drains depending on how it was installed. That hole was only put there to satisfy the snivelers who said they wouldn't buy the skid unless it had a drain hole, they didn't say they wouldn't buy it unless it had a drain hole in the right spot.

When he drains the oil and figures out he has to drop the skid anyway to clean out all the oil it filled up with, hilarity will ensue.

Ya'll do know that he is going to use those numbers, cut the hole and then be pissy when it doesn't line up under the drain, right? There is enough margin for error front to back to almost completely miss that hole when the oil drains depending on how it was installed. That hole was only put there to satisfy the snivelers who said they wouldn't buy the skid unless it had a drain hole, they didn't say they wouldn't buy it unless it had a drain hole in the right spot.

When he drains the oil and figures out he has to drop the skid anyway to clean out all the oil it filled up with, hilarity will ensue.

I am merely a provider of information. He may use that information how he sees fit.

Some lessons need to be learned the hard way. My example is the stalhbus valve everyone seems to love. It's slow as shit and I would rather just drop the skid. I used it for one oil change.

I usually drop the skid because it needs cleaning anyway. Savvy unit being aluminum makes that much easier than the previous ucf steel one.

Form-A-Funnel Flexible Draining Tool - General Purpose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017MTFIYE?tag=wranglerorg-20
I have also used one of these with good success for weird oil drain applications. Our honda drain location sucks and this tool made it easy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Danarch
That hole was only put there to satisfy the snivelers who said they wouldn't buy the skid unless it had a drain hole, they didn't say they wouldn't buy it unless it had a drain hole in the right spot.

Was it the same set of folks that wanted "modular" instead of the beautiful surfboard 😢

1710687561729.png

1710687575603.png

And the rounded 1st gen rocker guards?

1710687861504.png

Reactions: tworley
I just found that Fumoto makes an SX series that allows the outlet to be directed. I think I am going to give this a shot before cutting into the skid.

I came back to EDIT my post with YMMV. Personally due to the variation I’d put the hole where it needs to go rather than a set location. Also, if you have no sides I wouldn’t trust the strength.

Another option for oil drain is the No Spill system. They have 90*, 45*, and 0* outlets so you can direct the oil where you need. I’m going to go with one of them because they look like they drain faster and they would give another option for forum members.

I came back to EDIT my post with YMMV. Personally due to the variation I’d put the hole where it needs to go rather than a set location. Also, if you have no sides I wouldn’t trust the strength.

Another option for oil drain is the No Spill system. They have 90*, 45*, and 0* outlets so you can direct the oil where you need. I’m going to go with one of them because they look like they drain faster and they would give another option for forum members.

The Stahlbus is great because it is low profile and the hose lets you drain 6qts directly into an empty 5qt bottle.
20200918_172146.jpg

Reactions: CMBD
Some lessons need to be learned the hard way. My example is the stalhbus valve everyone seems to love. It's slow as shit and I would rather just drop the skid. I used it for one oil change.

If one is dropping the skid, draining into a catch pan and, pouring the pan into a disposal container, and then reinstalling the skid, plus cleaning up spills then I can understand why the process would seem slow. 🤫

• Haha
Reactions: Longwhitejeep
If one is dropping the skid, draining into a catch pan and, pouring the pan into a disposal container, and then reinstalling the skid, plus cleaning up spills then I can understand why the process would seem slow. 🤫

It's maintenance day so that usually involves more than just an oil change.

Hardware is being checked, paint touched up. Dirt and mud being cleaned off the skids thoroughly. The stalhbus also sticks up past the lowest portion of the skid by a 1/4 at least, which leaves some oil in there. Might not make a difference.

This isnt jiffy lube.

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
Sorry, I thought you were in a hurry and the hose was too slow. 🤣

I said it was slow. I finished everything else and that sucker was still draining. Maybe mine is faulty or something but it is very slow.

My catch pan is the storage container and I am not so innempt that I am maken this big mess you assume I make, so HA!

I said it was slow. I finished everything else and that sucker was still draining. Maybe mine is faulty or something but it is very slow.

Then you had something weird going on the one time you used it. Mine has never been anything I would call slow and I have never needed to wait for it to finish draining.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep