Ken1120

Hey everybody, hope you are all doing well.

The TJ overheated for the first time today while on the highway, pulling a couple ATVs, and it was about 110 degrees out. I know a pretty heavy load but it's done it going on 3 years now no problems. So I got the check gauges warning and saw the temp in the red, turned off the AC, took my foot off the accelerator and after about a minute or minute and half it went back to a little over regular temp. Got home and saw leaking coolant that I'm pretty sure was overflow, opened the engine and saw coolant splattered everywhere and little came out onto the fender. It is important to mention I did overfill the coolant by a couple inches over the full line, but don't know if this what caused the overheating.

Another problem that's been happening for the past couple months since it started warming up here in Vegas is a rough startup, the crank has been mostly clean and starts up after a couple seconds, but then it runs real rough, shaking the chassis for maybe 30 seconds- 1 min before returning to normal and running great the rest of the time until I turn it off, then turn it on and it runs a little rougher than the first time but still return to normal. It is worse if I turn on the AC during this, even sometimes when it starts fine and I turn on the AC I can feel it run a little rougher/ shake, but again no problems the rest of the ride. Maybe 2 or 3 times over the past couple months this was accompanied by a check gauges warning on startup, but those were fine and it never overheated. This has only been happening since the weather got into the 100's I believe.

Today was a little different, the jeep did take a little longer to turn over than usual, maybe 5-6 seconds 2 of the 3 times it was turned on today.

The jeep also has an EVAP leak somewhere and needs a new suspension, but those are for another day, planning on selling it for a 4 door because I need the space unfortunately but I want to pass it on fixed up and ready to go for the next person to enjoy. Any insights you guys have would be awesome, thanks.

An evap link can be a gas cap, also don't fill it up when running.

If you overfilled it, it's going to spit out any unnecessary coolant.

I'd replace the radiator cap. I'd also carefully check for leaks especially the water pump and radiator seams and top plastic tank. The Jeep wont keep temp if it can't hold pressure. Some recommend a pressure test although I've never done one. I also think the fan clutch helps in these situations if you haven't replaced it recently. They aren't expensive.

In hot climates in order, leaks, radiator cap, fan clutch, thermostat. That's it in my opinion. Change the coolant if you don't know when it was changed last. G-05 from Zerex is great, don't expect that to fix any problems, it'll just prevent corrosion.

I don't tow up steep grades in 110 heat with the A/C running. In my opinion, it's too much for the system.

I'd replace the radiator cap. I'd also carefully check for leaks especially the water pump and radiator seams and top plastic tank. The Jeep wont keep temp if it can't hold pressure. Some recommend a pressure test although I've never done one. I also think the fan clutch helps in these situations if you haven't replaced it recently. They aren't expensive.

In hot climates in order, leaks, radiator cap, fan clutch, thermostat. That's it in my opinion. Change the coolant if you don't know when it was changed last. G-05 from Zerex is great, don't expect that to fix any problems, it'll just prevent corrosion.

I don't tow up steep grades in 110 heat with the A/C running. In my opinion, it's too much for the system.
Excellent post.

Reactions: pagrey
Thanks guys, I will try a new radiator cap and get a coolant system pressure test after that, getting a smoke test done for the evap since I did replace the gas cap and finally want to get it fixed after 3 years lol. will update this post.