A reminder to wire in an ignition kill switch

I took a trip to Houston this week for a training class. We stayed at a nice Marriott near the training site. I parked my '21 GMC 2500 HD about 50 yards from the entrance of the hotel, and went to bed. Next morning it was gone. Apparently this is all to frequent in the Houston area. The cop was not surprised at all. He said the thieves have a computer they plug in and it unlocks, starts and drives. Usually takes them about 3 minutes. Being a Denali model he said they usually chop them up for parts. So, I'm on the hunt for a new one, and the new one will get some form of a kill switch. The Jeep will be getting the same treatment. It may not prevent theft, but should slow them down.

RIP GMC

View attachment 395163

Wow I had no idea a new truck could get stolen so fast. My 2005 f250 was stolen in 3 minutes. It now has two kill switches wired in. Pain in the ass getting it towed 200 miles and fixed up too, wish they would’ve taken it to Mexico!

I could shut your SKIM off with HP Tuners in about 5 minutes. You would still have to deal with the steering wheel lock however. SKIM is a joke.

No shit? I thought SKIM was keeping me safe!

I work near a hotel row, two 05 Chevys were stolen. Lots of cats. So I now drive an egg to work. Whoo gives a crap about these modern cars. But 08 Manual F350 or diesel swapped jeep. Those are different stories

Reactions: Jezza
thieves ...

hanging-hang.gif

Wow I had no idea a new truck could get stolen so fast. My 2005 f250 was stolen in 3 minutes. It now has two kill switches wired in. Pain in the ass getting it towed 200 miles and fixed up too, wish they would’ve taken it to Mexico!

Even the new keyless start trucks get stolen. If you leave your key fob too close to an outer wall at your house they can steal the code with their equipment then jump in and drive away like it’s theirs.

Some people buy storage bags for their keys to protect from having the info stolen.

There was a guy on the Tremor forum that had his brand new truck stolen from his driveway shortly after he bought it. After the insurance transfer grace period and before anyone remembered they forgot to put insurance on it.

Even the new keyless start trucks get stolen. If you leave your key fob too close to an outer wall at your house they can steal the code with their equipment then jump in and drive away like it’s theirs.

Some people buy storage bags for their keys to protect from having the info stolen.

There was a guy on the Tremor forum that had his brand new truck stolen from his driveway shortly after he bought it. After the insurance transfer grace period and before anyone remembered they forgot to put insurance on it.

My room was well away from the truck. The cops said they have a Chinese software that overrides the stock PCM and runs the truck. Apparently its fast enough to do that they can steal them from parking lots during the day, and it draws no attention.
Thank god I have good insurance!

My room was well away from the truck. The cops said they have a Chinese software that overrides the stock PCM and runs the truck. Apparently its fast enough to do that they can steal them from parking lots during the day, and it draws no attention.
Thank god I have good insurance!

So they can just stand outside the truck and their gizmo will unlock the doors and take control of the ecu? Yikes!

From what I was told they pull the wheel liner down and expose the PCM. Remove the plugs and plug in. Not quite wireless, but nearly.

Once you outlaw diesel tuning only the thieves will have it....

Sounds like even a disable tune wouldn't stand a chance

Once you outlaw diesel tuning only the thieves will have it....

Sounds like even a disable tune wouldn't stand a chance

That's why I was thinking a switch for the fuel pump, or starter interrupt circuit. I installed one on the LJ last night. It interrupts the fuel pump. Easy and cheap.

I always pull the FICM relay when staying at motels when traveling

There's always this https://www.ravelco.com/

Hmm that is interesting. Reminds me of the Enigma machine. The other thing I thought about was taking a Air Pod or Tile and gooping it with silicone and dropping it into the A/C vent or defrost. It would make for a difficult task to remove it quickly. Thieves would probably know it is there, but wouldn't be able to quickly remove it.

I always pull the FICM relay when staying at motels when traveling

There's always this https://www.ravelco.com/

Back in the 80's my grandfather had a work van full of 10's of thousands of $ worth of tools in a bad part of oakland where his shop was.

He had a blue heeler named "killer" that slept in it at night.that dog and van got left alone after a couple broken windows set him free...

• USA Proud
Reactions: Zorba and Jezza
Back in the 80's my grandfather had a work van full of 10's of thousands of $ worth of tools in a bad part of oakland where his shop was.

He had a blue heeler named "killer" that slept in it at night.that dog and van got left alone after a couple broken windows set him free...

Darwinism works!

Reactions: Blondie70