A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

Good lord! I hadn't actually tried the RubiCrawler out until today. That 10.88:1 low crawl ratio is insane. It crawls at maybe 2 mph. It really wants to fight you when you put the brakes on as well. I guess it's a good thing I've got some beefy front brakes.

Anyways, I'm very impressed. I haven't ever been in a vehicle with a crawl ratio like this before, so needless to say my first time left me with a big grin on my face.

Also, another shout out to @pcoplin. I drove it about 30 miles today, and all I can say is that this thing rides like a friggin' Cadillac (or at least as close to one as you can get in a Jeep) with these tuned Fox shocks.

The Noico sound deadening material made a huge difference as well. I literally can't hear my tires anymore at all. All of a sudden it's quiet inside my cabin!

Good lord! I hadn't actually tried the RubiCrawler out until today. That 10.88:1 low crawl ratio is insane. It crawls at maybe 2 mph. It really wants to fight you when you put the brakes on as well. I guess it's a good thing I've got some beefy front brakes.

Anyways, I'm very impressed. I haven't ever been in a vehicle with a crawl ratio like this before, so needless to say my first time left me with a big grin on my face.

Also, another shout out to @pcoplin. I drove it about 30 miles today, and all I can say is that this thing rides like a friggin' Cadillac (or at least as close to one as you can get in a Jeep) with these tuned Fox shocks.

The Noico sound deadening material made a huge difference as well. I literally can't hear my tires anymore at all. All of a sudden it's quiet inside my cabin!
Great to hear Chris!

Reactions: Chris
Following @mots lead, I finished insulating the rear of my TJ today.

I used the Noico 80 mil sound deadening material as the base. I went a step further than most of these other guys though and used the Noico 170 mil insulation on top of it.

Here's some photos of the finished product:

View attachment 69097View attachment 69098View attachment 69099

Tomorrow I'm going to do the front, which should hopefully be easier than the back. I'll tell you, even with as pliable as this stuff is, doing the rear was time consuming, and a pain in the butt due to the curvature of the wheel wells. I had to do a number of smaller pieces to fill in the areas that the material wouldn't easily conform to.

It looks excellent though, and with 250 mil of material, this should make the inside much, much quieter.
This sounds like something I want to do. Did one box 36sqft do it all?

Glad to hear. The tune I put in yours in my favorite all around flutter. I can make it snappier on small stuff, but offroad the roots and rock cobble can get a little harsh unless you hit it at a pretty good clip. I can also make it mushier, but I think it detracts from performance on the larger events. I've only had to do the real light flutter on the front of 4 cyl 4Runner, he likes running 35 psi in his 37s.

Reactions: fooey
Glad to hear. The tune I put in yours in my favorite all around flutter. I can make it snappier on small stuff, but offroad the roots and rock cobble can get a little harsh unless you hit it at a pretty good clip. I can also make it mushier, but I think it detracts from performance on the larger events. I've only had to do the real light flutter on the front of 4 cyl 4Runner, he likes running 35 psi in his 37s.

I'd say it's perfect for me. I still have to a place to really take it off-road, but for streets and washboard roads, it's proven to be excellent so far. I didn't think it could ride any better than it did, but clearly it does now!

I think most people would probably be blown away if they took a ride in it. They'd probably be in disbelief that a lifted Jeep on 35s could ride so well.

Did you get it up to vibe speed?

Did you get it up to vibe speed?

I got it up to 65mph and no vibrations. I need to get it on I-5 to get it up past that. I'll try that this weekend!

So far I'm hopeful. Aside from this annoying noise from the transmission tunnel, all is well!

Reactions: tomtaylz
I got it up to 65mph and no vibrations. I need to get it on I-5 to get it up past that. I'll try that this weekend!

So far I'm hopeful. Aside from this annoying noise from the transmission tunnel, all is well!

Nice, if you get a chance I’d love to hear your dbs after the sound dampening too. I want to do that before the long drive to Moab.

Nice, if you get a chance I’d love to hear your dbs after the sound dampening too. I want to do that before the long drive to Moab.

I'll measure it next time. Admittedly, mine is a lot louder than most TJs due to the catalytic convertor having been removed. It's amazing how much extra sound that added.

When I've had the larger flutter in them to try and widen the soft zone a bit, it made the body roll more pronounced than I prefer. I like them just mushy enough to eat up coarse pavement and very small events and not much more.

Reactions: pcoplin
Care to explain what you referring to as making it a little snappier and when you'd do that? The tune for Chris's Jeep is good for what type of terrain?

Care to explain what you referring to as making it a little snappier and when you'd do that? The tune for Chris's Jeep is good for what type of terrain?
Just firmer on the small and medium bumps, more like a "sports car" ride, to correlate it to a car.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just firmer on the small and medium bumps, more like a "sports car" ride, to correlate it to a car.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
For off road can you give examples of what's considered small, medium and large bumps?

For off road can you give examples of what's considered small, medium and large bumps?
Well, I'm reality it'll be stiffer in all size bumps and shaft speeds, since it's a different cover shim.

Size is subjective, but I guess small would be like stuff that would rattle the suspension like washboard and road cracks, medium would be like 2 to 5 inch roots and rocks, large would be stuff that makes you flinch and tighten your anus. :D

Edit: to put the tune into perspective, Chris could take a parking spot concrete curb at like 10 to 15 with one side of the Jeep and soak it up with upsetting the chassis. Or jump it a little bit (like a foot or so) and soak it up without bottoming out and bouncing.

Chris, sorry to derail your thread. Feel free to delete my posts...

Reactions: mots and Chris
Well, I'm reality it'll be stiffer in all size bumps and shaft speeds, since it's a different cover shim.

Size is subjective, but I guess small would be like stuff that would rattle the suspension like washboard and road cracks, medium would be like 2 to 5 inch roots and rocks, large would be stuff that makes you flinch and tighten your anus. :D

Edit: to put the tune into perspective, Chris could take a parking spot concrete curb at like 10 to 15 with one side of the Jeep and soak it up with upsetting the chassis. Or jump it a little bit (like a foot or so) and soak it up without bottoming out and bouncing.

Chris, sorry to derail your thread. Feel free to delete my posts...

No worries! I don’t mind, it’s all interesting to me!

I think we need to see a live demonstration of this, just to be sure. LOL.