A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

I understand what you are saying. But some of us want to keep our Jeeps looking nice as they age and get used. I'm all for natural patina from regular use but I don't want to damage the paint unnecessarily either especially with the amount of rain we get here.

Having met @Chris in person, seeing how much he likes Jeeps, and learning how much he really wants to keep his Jeep running and looking good for a very long time, I don't see why his idea of getting his Jeep wrapped before he does severe offroading is a bad one. A proper paint job on the Jeep is quite very expensive! It's not like we have endless supply of good, unabused, issue free TJs.
Never said that the wrap was a bad idea.

Why not just get a paint correction done? I doubt you'll be doing anything extreme enough to cause major body damage. At most you'll get minor and I mean minor pinstripes. All that can be corrected. My friends and family give me a hard time about buying a pristine Jeep then taking it the places I do. But they cannot understand how the Jeep stays so nice and clean looking.

The first wheeling trip after installing the savvy under armor I bent the aluminum skid in a rock garden as well as the passenger lower control arm bracket.

I guess I say all this to try to help you realize there are those that wheel their jeeps but do continuously take care of them too.

Get the paint looking how you want and wrap it in clear bra. That's what they use on track cars to protect from rock chips n such.
Now that's a great idea. @Chris it doesn't sound like you will be putting your jeep into crazy situations often. If you are planning on going crazy then for all means get a full cage on this jeep and be ready to cry when you mess something up. I think with the right spotters and a level head though you will get through most trails just fine.

Reactions: ElectricWizard
Why not just get a paint correction done? I doubt you'll be doing anything extreme enough to cause major body damage. At most you'll get minor and I mean minor pinstripes. All that can be corrected. My friends and family give me a hard time about buying a pristine Jeep then taking it the places I do. But they cannot understand how the Jeep stays so nice and clean looking.

The first wheeling trip after installing the savvy under armor I bent the aluminum skid in a rock garden as well as the passenger lower control arm bracket.

I guess I say all this to try to help you realize there are those that wheel their jeeps but do continuously take care of them too.

Paint correction? Not sure I'm familiar with it.

I don't think I'll be doing anything to cause body damage. There are lots of trees and branches on the forest service roads around here, which is why I mentioned the possibility of a wrap. But the wrap wasn't just because of that, I just wanted to try a new color to be honest, and I thought the wrap would be a cheap and easy way of doing that without a full repaint.

Anyways, I plan to wheel it, I'm just not going to turn it into one of those vehicles that is absolutely destroyed. To be honest, I plan on using it more for a overland type of vehicle... albeit a very "overbuilt" one.

Paint correction? Not sure I'm familiar with it.

I don't think I'll be doing anything to cause body damage. There are lots of trees and branches on the forest service roads around here, which is why I mentioned the possibility of a wrap. But the wrap wasn't just because of that, I just wanted to try a new color to be honest, and I thought the wrap would be a cheap and easy way of doing that without a full repaint.

Anyways, I plan to wheel it, I'm just not going to turn it into one of those vehicles that is absolutely destroyed. To be honest, I plan on using it more for a overland type of vehicle... albeit a very "overbuilt" one.
Do you plan on doing overnight trips in it? Any plans for a rooftop tent/cabin area? Is that what you mean by overlanding? I see ppl say the word “overlanding” all the time and everybody has a different take on it.

Do you plan on doing overnight trips in it? Any plans for a rooftop tent/cabin area? Is that what you mean by overlanding? I see ppl say the word “overlanding” all the time and everybody has a different take on it.

No, nothing like that. I just mean spending the day going out and exploring remote areas, forest service roads, etc. It's way too small to be an overnight overlanding vehicle... unless I had a trailer. That's not the plan though.

Eventually I'll trailer it to Moab or something and stay a few days, but by that time I'll probably have an fifth wheel too :risas3:

No, nothing like that. I just mean spending the day going out and exploring remote areas, forest service roads, etc. It's way too small to be an overnight overlanding vehicle... unless I had a trailer. That's not the plan though.

Eventually I'll trailer it to Moab or something and stay a few days, but by that time I'll probably have an fifth wheel too :risas3:
Yea that’s why I asked what your opinion of overlanding was. Usually ppl rig an overnight cabin to the roof for overlanding “trips”. I get what your saying now.

Reactions: Chris
Color correcting is obviously something you don't want to do often. Each time loses clear coat mil thickness. Another good reason for wrapping IMO.

Color correcting is obviously something you don't want to do often. Each time loses clear coat mil thickness. Another good reason for wrapping IMO.
The wrap would be a good option but if it gets scraped up it will look like crap. And it’s not as easy as just applying another layer to fix the scrape...that will look like crap also. Just gonna have to live with some scratches. It’s a jeep after all!

Reactions: Fouledplugs
If you are planning on going crazy then for all means get a full cage on this jeep and be ready to cry when you mess something up.
I keep seeing reference to half, partial, mostly and full cages in TJ's. Not just here but a lot of other places as well. To be clear, very clear with NO wiggle room, no one will run a full cage in a TJ unless they are racing. The difference between a roll cage and anything else made from tube and stuck inside a TJ for roll "protection" is unless you are climbing in the window, you do NOT have a cage and even then, unless you have it built correctly, tied into the frame through the firewall, and braced correctly, it may not be a cage.

Reactions: Chris
I keep seeing reference to half, partial, mostly and full cages in TJ's. Not just here but a lot of other places as well. To be clear, very clear with NO wiggle room, no one will run a full cage in a TJ unless they are racing. The difference between a roll cage and anything else made from tube and stuck inside a TJ for roll "protection" is unless you are climbing in the window, you do NOT have a cage and even then, unless you have it built correctly, tied into the frame through the firewall, and braced correctly, it may not be a cage.
My idea of a "full" cage is something like this one by genright. Your correct though that terms are thrown around that can be misleading.
1545937941982.png