A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

I'm a bit confused about their drop options. How I read it, 0" drop is factory drop 1" drop is lower than factory? Why would you want a skid that sits lower than a factory skid?

I'm a bit confused about their drop options. How I read it, 0" drop is factory drop 1" drop is lower than factory? Why would you want a skid that sits lower than a factory skid?
Same reason some people run skid drops after installing a lift. Its used to counter vibrations and spending the money to buy a SYE. Trans drop is ~$30 versus doing it right with SYE at ~$200 and an additional ~$200 for a new DC driveshaft.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/tj-97-02-1-2-transfer-case-lowering-spacer-kit
“The TJ Transfer Case Lowering Spacer Kit lowers the transfer case to reduce driveshaft vibration caused by a ride height 2” or more above stock – especially on TJ Wrangler models without either a slip yoke eliminator kit or adjustable control arms.”

IMO this is an even better route if you MUST ABSOLUTELY lower your skid. This is doing it a little better than a lowering kit that fits between the skid and the frame. But it begs the question why not just go SYE at the price that you would pay for the skid...

Same reason some people run skid drops after installing a lift. Its used to counter vibrations and spending the money to buy a SYE. Trans drop is ~$30 versus doing it right with SYE at ~$200 and an additional ~$200 for a new DC driveshaft.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/tj-97-02-1-2-transfer-case-lowering-spacer-kit
“The TJ Transfer Case Lowering Spacer Kit lowers the transfer case to reduce driveshaft vibration caused by a ride height 2” or more above stock – especially on TJ Wrangler models without either a slip yoke eliminator kit or adjustable control arms.”

IMO this is an even better route if you MUST ABSOLUTELY lower your skid. This is doing it a little better than a lowering kit that fits between the skid and the frame. But it begs the question why not just go SYE at the price that you would pay for the skid...

Yep, confuses me cause you're raising your jeep so you can lower your TC skid? I can see it if you just want bigger tires for aesthetics, but for actual offroad advantage, I don't get it.

Emailed Jeremy at TDK and he reassured me of what i thought would be his answer. They do make the skids for 03+ Wranglers they just are not isted on the website.
View attachment 32150

Oh snap, totally going to order one of those. That would make life so much easier, not having to support the transmission and transfer case when removing the skid. You didn’t by chance ask him how much, did you?

Yep, confuses me cause you're raising your jeep so you can lower your TC skid? I can see it if you just want bigger tires for aesthetics, but for actual offroad advantage, I don't get it.
Right I agree with you 100%. SYE all the way, I understand that money doesn't grow on trees, but at some point you have got to say lifting a TJ yet lowering the case is in one way or another wasting money and defeating the purpose behind the lift.

Last edited:
Oh snap, totally going to order one of those. That would make life so much easier, not having to support the transmission and transfer case when removing the skid. You didn’t by chance ask him how much, did you?
Im sure its the same price as all the others listed on his site; $400. The website quoted me $100 for shipping to my zip.

Reactions: Chris
I would say the ZJ steering is necessary. The factory rod is too thin for any reliability. Hell, mine bent and I don't even know when and where. I hadn't even wheeled it really, only some fire roads while hunting.

I'd like to put the Currie steering on it, but I think with one 2.5" of lift, it will call for a lot more bump stop possibly.

I decided to return the Bilstein 5100 shocks after a lot of back-and-forth discussion with @David Kishpaugh. I exchanged them for the OME shocks that come with the lift kit in the first place. Turns out these shocks are really designed to give you the best performance and travel with the OME springs. I suppose I should have realized this to begin with, but I'm glad I realized it before installing the lift!

I decided to return the Bilstein 5100 shocks after a lot of back-and-forth discussion with @David Kishpaugh. I exchanged them for the OME shocks that come with the lift kit in the first place. Turns out these shocks are really designed to give you the best performance and travel with the OME springs. I suppose I should have realized this to begin with, but I'm glad I realized it before installing the lift!
You don’t say lol. You’ll be happy with them. Just get the lift on already and drive the thing haha.

20180218_134523.jpg

Barely 0.5" of clearance at stock.

20180218_134432.jpg

My fat finger is a bit fatter than 0.5".

Reactions: Chris
Any reason besides price that you went with the Disconnects vs the Currie Antirock on this build? I'm probably planning something fairly similar to this!

Any reason besides price that you went with the Disconnects vs the Currie Antirock on this build? I'm probably planning something fairly similar to this!

Actually, price had nothing to do with it. I'd rather have the Antirock, but it doesn't fit with the Mopar Rock Crawler front bumper unless you do some serious, serious cutting, which I didn't want to do, given the rarity of this bumper. If it wasn't for that, I'd have the Antirock for sure.

He offers it for the Rubi as well. So you are covered.
Help me understand all I have read in this thread concerning this skid plate...does it leave the TC in the same location height-wise, then offer 1) a smooth underneath surface to help get over rocks, and 2) a separate frame and cross member that supports the transmission and transfer case, yet allows the skid plate itself to be removed without having to support those?

I hate the way the Rubicon oem skid plate hangs so low, and has those ridges and edges to catch on things, but have no interest in a body lift...

Sorry to hijack the thread...I guess we need a separate thread on the TDK skid.