A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

Help me understand all I have read in this thread concerning this skid plate...does it leave the TC in the same location height-wise, then offer 1) a smooth underneath surface to help get over rocks, and 2) a separate frame and cross member that supports the transmission and transfer case, yet allows the skid plate itself to be removed without having to support those?

I hate the way the Rubicon oem skid plate hangs so low, and has those ridges and edges to catch on things, but have no interest in a body lift...

Sorry to hijack the thread...I guess we need a separate thread on the TDK skid.
The way you think it might work is indeed the way it works. TC is in the same location. Unless you want the TC dropped he can do that by adding material (tube) in between the frame mounting surface and the lower bend.

what about an amp for the sub? stock one I think will leave you a bit disappointed. Are you using baffles for dash and bar speakers? I was thinking about using the DB652 for bar and 522 for dash? I put in these 4 x 6 alpines and it did not make a difference but i have not amped the head unit yet.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC464/Kicker-43CSC464.html?cc=02

what about an amp for the sub? stock one I think will leave you a bit disappointed. Are you using baffles for dash and bar speakers? I was thinking about using the DB652 for bar and 522 for dash? I put in these 4 x 6 alpines and it did not make a difference but i have not amped the head unit yet.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC464/Kicker-43CSC464.html?cc=02

That amp I posted the link to is for the sub.

Those speakers require more modification according to Crutchfield, which is why I opted for the ones I did, which were listed as a direct fit.

Why would you want to power the sub with a 4 channel amp? Wouldn't a 2 channel mono block amp work more efficiently to run the sub?

Generally speaking with an amp you need a channel for each speaker you are running. In other words if you are running 4 speakers you need a 4 channel amp. You want to run a sub? Many will add an amp for that alone. You could run this amp (link below) for all 4 speakers plus sub. It might be good enough for me as I don't think the Wrangler will ever sound as good as my Bang and Olufsen system in my Audi, so I just want pretty good sound.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S7G1UCQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: jamespwsullivan
Why would you want to power the sub with a 4 channel amp? Wouldn't a 2 channel mono block amp work more efficiently to run the sub?

I think Chris didn't post the correct link. You don't want a 4 channel for a sub. You can get a 5 channel and run it all. I haven't decided on what I am doing yet, but thought I would think out loud on this thread.

I am just going off what @RangerRick did with his Rubicon in his build how-to here:
How to upgrade & replace your factory TJ wrangler console subwoofer

He runs that same amp, at least I thought so.

I think Chris didn't post the correct link. You don't want a 4 channel for a sub. You can get a 5 channel and run it all. I haven't decided on what I am doing yet, but thought I would think out loud on this thread.

That's what I wanted to do. I was thinking I could replace the factory amp with an amp I could use to power all 4 speakers, plus the sub. So I guess that does need a 5 channel, huh?

I'm not sure what the factory wiring looks like, but I assume the factory amp is powering the sub and all 4 speakers, not just the sub, right?

factory head unit powers the 4 speakers, the sub has it's own lame amp in the center console.....the kicker sub you ordered will hook right up to that oem amp as it is a dual voice coil (4 wires going into that sub) not sure how that sub will work with a normal amp.

IMO, the easiest way to do this is to run the front/rear speakers off the HU amp power, and buy a separate sub amp for the sub, and bypass all the factory sub amp nonsense. The factory amp just powers the sub I believe. The front/rear speakers are powered by the HU.

Reactions: cliffish
So I guess that does need a 5 channel, huh?

I'm not sure what the factory wiring looks like, but I assume the factory amp is powering the sub and all 4 speakers, not just the sub, right?

Well I am coming from a different angle as I have a aftermarket HU in my Jeep already with a TON of wiring to sift though. If you want to power everything, you do need 5 channels. A channel for each speaker. Now I am not an expert, but I tend to do things at a high level, if I can. That being said, there might be other ways of doing this. I might hire a pro on mine. I just haven't looked at it long enough as it is never here!!!! Sorry, I am just wanting it home. Anyway, I don't think your HU will be enough for you and the amp you posted is about the same price as the 5 channel I posted. I haven't done enough research to really give a more solid opinion however.

Well I am coming from a different angle as I have a aftermarket HU in my Jeep already with a TON of wiring to sift though. If you want to power everything, you do need 5 channels. A channel for each speaker. Now I am not an expert, but I tend to do things at a high level, if I can. That being said, there might be other ways of doing this. I might hire a pro on mine. I just haven't looked at it long enough as it is never here!!!! Sorry, I am just wanting it home. Anyway, I don't think your HU will be enough for you and the amp you posted is about the same price as the 5 channel I posted. I haven't done enough research to really give a more solid opinion however.

I totally missed that link. That looks like that amp might do the trick. I got my amp idea from @RangerRick, but now realizing it's a 4 channel, that makes no sense as to how he was able to use it on his Rubicon (hopefully he'll chime in).

That Clarion one looks like it might be the ticket! I want as good of sound as I can get out of it.

The HU is the brain of the system. You are changing the brain, so you need to make everything talk with each other.