A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

Dropping the Jeep off today to have the 5.38 gears installed as well as the big brake kit, Currie steering, RCV axle shafts, new unit bearings, new ball joints, etc. (i'm supplying all the parts).

They say it should be done on Thursday at the end of the day, but I'm thinking it may end up being Friday... we'll see!

Either way, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how I like these 5.38 gears and the 17" big brake kit.

I'll post a lengthy update as soon as I get it back!

Hey Chris, did you do the Rokmen TT with their 1/2 body lift or a JKS 1.25? Any clearance issues with our 241 TC?

Hey Chris, did you do the Rokmen TT with their 1/2 body lift or a JKS 1.25? Any clearance issues with our 241 TC?

I did the Rokmen TT with their 1/2” body lift. No clearance issues whatsoever. I’m swapping it out for the JKS 1.25” though, only because I want to reduce the amount of bump stop I’ll need with my 35” tires.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Yep! Someone will buy it for something I'm sure.

What I need to do is organize some sort of WTJF event that would take place each year at Moab. Everyone would come for a few days, wheel, etc. There would be food, vendors, and much more. So in other words, some sort of a yearly event.

I was actually talking with my step-dad about this last night. He said it's a great idea, but if I decide to tackle it, be aware that organizing a big event is no simple task. I believe it too, but at the same time, I think the turnout would be awesome, and seeing all those TJs would be truly amazing.

So if something like this ends up happening in the next few years, you heard it from me first!
Not sure what traction you got with idea, but I've done my share of organizing commu nity events, and one big key is getting help. That means guys you trust to take on a task and be accountable. So far I think there uus a group of members here who m
Would do that. Of course the man on point still has to have and keep the overall vision in mind... I've never been to Moab

Reactions: Chris
Dropping the Jeep off today to have the 5.38 gears installed as well as the big brake kit, Currie steering, RCV axle shafts, new unit bearings, new ball joints, etc. (i'm supplying all the parts).

They say it should be done on Thursday at the end of the day, but I'm thinking it may end up being Friday... we'll see!

Either way, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how I like these 5.38 gears and the 17" big brake kit.

You are going to run out of parts to upgrade soon!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: tomtaylz
I did the Rokmen TT with their 1/2” body lift. No clearance issues whatsoever. I’m swapping it out for the JKS 1.25” though, only because I want to reduce the amount of bump stop I’ll need with my 35” tires.

Thanks man! Starting to lean heavily towards the same skids, but I’ll have to debate the 1.25 vs .5 BL. The gap on the sliders to the tub would be hard to overlook at 1.25, and I really don’t want to remove the stock Rubi rocker stuff.

Thanks man! Starting to lean heavily towards the same skids, but I’ll have to debate the 1.25 vs .5 BL. The gap on the sliders to the tub would be hard to overlook at 1.25, and I really don’t want to remove the stock Rubi rocker stuff.

Just say "No" to the butt crack brah! Lol!

You only need 1/2" body lift with the Rokmen skid. I'm only adding the 1.25" body lift as I mentioned so that I can reduce the amount of bump stop, that's all.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
You only need 1/2" body lift with the Rokmen skid. I'm only adding the 1.25" body lift as I mentioned so that I can reduce the amount of bump stop, that's all.

Well, now that you have a 1.25" body lift, you can put on the entire under armor system from Savvy! I can see that change coming in the near future for you.

Reactions: JMT
Well, now that you have a 1.25" body lift, you can put on the entire under armor system from Savvy! I can see that change coming in the near future for you.

You're a mind reader... haha. It's something I may do at some point just because I like the idea of the lightweight aluminum.

First I need to get the rear spring perches relocated and outboard the rear shocks. I'll also need that GenRight fuel tank as my rear pinion absolutely can't go up anymore whatsoever otherwise the track bar is going to hit the fuel tank. The GenRight tank will alleviate that as it's 14" in length as oppose to 16".

You're a mind reader... haha. It's something I may do at some point just because I like the idea of the lightweight aluminum.

First I need to get the rear spring perches relocated and outboard the rear shocks. I'll also need that GenRight fuel tank as my rear pinion absolutely can't go up anymore whatsoever otherwise the track bar is going to hit the fuel tank. The GenRight tank will alleviate that as it's 14" in length as oppose to 16".

I see things the same way you do. In my mind, I'll be getting the under armor after I get my frame swap, rock sliders, rear bumper, tail lights, shocks, power steering cooler, chromoly axle shafts, and some other stuff. Don't even get me started with what I have planned for after that! It truly never ends with these damn Jeeps.

I'm also a fan of aluminum. I'm going to try and get aluminum everything from now on. Light weight and I don't have to worry about rust!

Reactions: JMT and tomtaylz
I see things the same way you do. In my mind, I'll be getting the under armor after I get my frame swap, rock sliders, rear bumper, tail lights, shocks, power steering cooler, chromoly axle shafts, and some other stuff. Don't even get me started with what I have planned for after that! It truly never ends with these damn Jeeps.

I'm also a fan of the aluminum. I'm going to try and get aluminum everything from now on. Light weight and I don't have to worry about rust!

Yep, that's probably what I'll be doing as well. Fortunately while these AEV / Mopar bumpers aren't aluminum, they are surprisingly light... like really light.

I think my Jeep will end up being very, very overbuilt. But, as men, we tend to enjoy tinkering with stuff just for fun. And I always figure that with all this building I'm doing, when the kids are a bit older, by that point the Jeep will be built like a tank, so that might make a Moab trip that much more fun!

I think my Jeep will end up being very, very overbuilt. But, as men, we tend to enjoy tinkering with stuff just for fun. And I always figure that with all this building I'm doing, when the kids are a bit older, by that point the Jeep will be built like a tank, so that might make a Moab trip that much more fun!

"will end up"? :D It's already there and that's why we love you Chris!

Reactions: Chris

Are you having them cut and paste the upper spring bucket in the rear also?

I am shocked you are not doing this yourself, half of the fun is unboxing and installing. I am a little jealous of the shop that is building my rear diff. I have never installed an E-Locker before, although I will get to do the front when I get the rear end in.

Are you having them cut and paste the upper spring bucket in the rear also?

I am shocked you are not doing this yourself, half of the fun is unboxing and installing. I am a little jealous of the shop that is building my rear diff. I have never installed an E-Locker before, although I will get to do the front when I get the rear end in.

No, I'm going to do the spring perches myself.

I was going to do the gears myself, but part of it is the kids. If they were in school or something I'd have the time, but they are so young that I can't just leave my wife with them for days while I hang out in the garage.

So since I have them doing the gears, it makes a lot of sense to just have them put the RCV axles in, Currie steering, steering stabilizer, new ball joints, new unit bearings, and the Vanco big brake kit. You know, they'll have that stuff off anyways to do the axles, so I just figured might as well.

Reactions: ac_
No, I'm going to do the spring perches myself.

I was going to do the gears myself, but part of it is the kids. If they were in school or something I'd have the time, but they are so young that I can't just leave my wife with them for days while I hang out in the garage.

So since I have them doing the gears, it makes a lot of sense to just have them put the RCV axles in, Currie steering, steering stabilizer, new ball joints, new unit bearings, and the Vanco big brake kit. You know, they'll have that stuff off anyways to do the axles, so I just figured might as well.
Makes sense...

Earlier I said that I have to draw the line somewhere. When I put the 2 inch lift on it I wasn't really ever happy with the way it looked. Although I did like how it drove. But now with the 4 inch lift and the 33 inch tires. I like the way it drives and I really like the way it looks. I am not going to tummy tuck so I have no need for a body lift, but if I did I could see me doing 35's, but as it sits now I am pretty happy with it.

I still have little issues to work out like hooking up the air bags still, and the steering wanders at high speeds and I still need to get the steering wheel straightened out. Oh and the new rear diff is coming, so I will still get to work on it. Oh plus I need to do the front E-locker and gears, But I am pretty happy with the way it is turning out.

Once that I am happy with the outside, then I have to do the interior. I am getting excited for that.

Makes sense...

Earlier I said that I have to draw the line somewhere. When I put the 2 inch lift on it I wasn't really ever happy with the way it looked. Although I did like how it drove. But now with the 4 inch lift and the 33 inch tires. I like the way it drives and I really like the way it looks. I am not going to tummy tuck so I have no need for a body lift, but if I did I could see me doing 35's, but as it sits now I am pretty happy with it.

I still have little issues to work out like hooking up the air bags still, and the steering wanders at high speeds and I still need to get the steering wheel straightened out. Oh and the new rear diff is coming, so I will still get to work on it. Oh plus I need to do the front E-locker and gears, But I am pretty happy with the way it is turning out.

Once that I am happy with the outside, then I have to do the interior. I am getting excited for that.

What are you doing to the interior?

Reactions: ac_
Makes sense...

Your hopeless!
What are you doing to the interior?
Your hopeless too! You guys dwell on Planet Jeep!

Reactions: ac_ and Chris