A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

Did you find out if they are using JJ at both ends of the front track bar? That would really surprise me. There shouldn't be a need for that much mis-alignment unless the geometry of the front 3 link is wrong.

Did you find out if they are using JJ at both ends of the front track bar? That would really surprise me. There shouldn't be a need for that much mis-alignment unless the geometry of the front 3 link is wrong.

No, he's only using a JJ on one end I believe. I need to inquire about the other end.

Okay, so I caved in and messaged Dave today to find out where my Jeep is at in the queue. It will be a month on Monday since I dropped it off, and he hasn't started working at it. I think part of me would have liked if I could have just kept it at home in my garage (so it's not sitting out there in the rain for months) and brought it in when he was actually ready to work on it.

Obviously he's a busy guy, I'm just hoping he can tell me where I stand at in the queue.

He may be busy, but that wouldn't fly with me. You should go get it and just tell him to call you when he's less busy. At least then you can drive it and enjoy it while you wait.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking about. Weather up here sucks, so I'd rather have it sitting in my warm garage as oppose to just sitting outside for months on end.

At least that way he could just tell me when he's ready for it... I really wish I had just asked to do that to begin with.

Reactions: Starrs
UPDATE: Dave just got back to me. He said he's gotten started building the custom parts for it, and as soon as this red TJ he's working on is done, mine is next up.

So, I guess I can't complain. Sounds like he'll be working on mine in a week or so since that red one he is working on looks like it's nearing completion.

I've mulled over this a lot for the past several months, and I've finally decided I am 100% doing a V8 swap. I'm done with this shitty 42RLE transmission. I'm going to have Novak build me a complete turn-key V8 package with everything I need to just bolt it in (minus the engine mounts, which will be welded on).

I'll do the work myself, but the nice part is that they'll give me a package that is 100% ready. Plug-and-play wiring harness, all the adapters I need, cooling system, etc.

I'm going to use a GM 4L60 E automatic transmission (the best option there is for autos IMHO) and I'll probably opt for the 5.7 LS1, which is rated at 325 HP and 345 ft/lbs of torque.

My plan once I get it back from Dave is to get the engine swap and everything 100% assembled so that I can swap it in in about a month or less, since I'll have everything I need.

Of course the big thing is going to be re-gearing. I just wasted all this money on 5.38s, and probably should have kept the factory 4.10 gears... Stupid me!

I think we all knew it would come to this. I'm a TJ owner for life, so I look at this as a good life decision.

Dave agreed as well. He and I talked about it and he said as much as he likes the 4.0, an LS is much better suited to daily driving and is obviously a much better platform to begin with.

So, this won't be happening right this moment, but I'll probably order the V8 swap package in the next few months.

I guess this is what happens when I'm left to my own devices!

I've mulled over this a lot for the past several months, and I've finally decided I am 100% doing a V8 swap. I'm done with this shitty 42RLE transmission. I'm going to have Novak build me a complete turn-key V8 package with everything I need to just bolt it in (minus the engine mounts, which will be welded on).

I'll do the work myself, but the nice part is that they'll give me a package that is 100% ready. Plug-and-play wiring harness, all the adapters I need, cooling system, etc.

I'm going to use a GM 4L60 E automatic transmission (the best option there is for autos IMHO) and I'll probably opt for the 5.7 LS1, which is rated at 325 HP and 345 ft/lbs of torque.

My plan once I get it back from Dave is to get the engine swap and everything 100% assembled so that I can swap it in in about a month or less, since I'll have everything I need.

Of course the big thing is going to be re-gearing. I just wasted all this money on 5.38s, and probably should have kept the factory 4.10 gears... Stupid me!

I think we all knew it would come to this. I'm a TJ owner for life, so I look at this as a good life decision.

Dave agreed as well. He and I talked about it and he said as much as he likes the 4.0, an LS is much better suited to daily driving and is obviously a much better platform to begin with.

So, this won't be happening right this moment, but I'll probably order the V8 swap package in the next few months.

Awesome! This will certainly be interesting to follow along with when the time comes.

Reactions: Chris

Two things:

1. Dayumnnnnnnnnn, that is a strong move.

2. I'll help when you need some extra hands (in full disclosure I'm busy with my kids and my wife absolutely hates it when I'm not around on Saturdays, but she pretty much hates my hobbies/me so not a huge loss).

Reactions: JMT
Two things:

1. Dayumnnnnnnnnn, that is a strong move.

2. I'll help when you need some extra hands (in full disclosure I'm busy with my kids and my wife absolutely hates it when I'm not around on Saturdays, but she pretty much hates my hobbies/me so not a huge loss).

I'll let you know in advance when I need some extra hands. The part that I'll need the most help with will be once I get the engine and transmission on the cherry picker, I'll need help guiding it into the engine bay while I'm under the vehicle so that I can bolt up the engine mounts, transmission mounts, etc. That way the engine and transmission can get situated to make the rest much easier.

I'll remove the front end though, which will no doubt make it much easier (I've done it before on other vehicles without removing the front end, and it's much more of a pain in the butt).

Believe me, I understand the situation with the wife. My wife hates my hobbies and hates when I'm not around on Saturday as well, so I'll plan this accordingly. She pretty much thinks that any of this Jeep stuff I'm doing is just flat out stupid.

I tell her she'd honestly never understand unless she was a guy.

I would have done the suspension after the LS swap. The exhaust likes to be all in the way of the upper control arm mount. I've never done on with a TJ front axle, but the one I did with a JK front axle had about a finger's width clearance between the upper control arm, exhaust, front drive shaft, and transmission. I've started with Novak motor mounts, but generally ended up modding them pretty extensively.

If you stay with something like a 5.3, you can keep the stock fuel pump setup. I'm not sure the stock pump can deal with a ls1. I prefer the low rpm torque output of the truck LS intake for wheeling, unless you are mainly running it on the street. The biggest change (for me) is the much better gearing of the 4l60e, and it's shift schedule. It's night and day better.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
I would have done the suspension after the LS swap. The exhaust likes to be all in the way of the upper control arm mount. I've never done on with a TJ front axle, but the one I did with a JK front axle had about a finger's width clearance between the upper control arm, exhaust, front drive shaft, and transmission. I've started with Novak motor mounts, but generally ended up modding them pretty extensively.

If you stay with something like a 5.3, you can keep the stock fuel pump setup. I'm not sure the stock pump can deal with a ls1. I prefer the low rpm torque output of the truck LS intake for wheeling, unless you are mainly running it on the street. The biggest change (for me) is the much better gearing of the 4l60e, and it's shift schedule. It's night and day better.

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts, I appreciate it.

The suspension isn't done yet, so I'm going to have Dave hopefully do it with a V8 swap in mind. He hasn't even started, so I don't think this will be an issue.

I've done my research on the 4L60E, and that's why I want to use that as the transmission. I think I'll be very happy with it compared to the shitty 42RLE.

As for the LS, Dave was suggesting I either go with a 4.8 or a 5.3 as oppose to a LS1, so I think that's the route I'm heading as well. I have a call with Novak tomorrow who I am going to have advise me on this and probably just build me a turn key package I can install. I'm not in need of insane amounts of power here. I'd be happy with 300 hp, a lot of torque, and a nice transmission. I drive it a lot on the highway, but in my opinion, there's no need for a Corvette LS engine in a Wrangler. It's cool on paper, but in real world practicality, it's pointless.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts, I appreciate it.

The suspension isn't done yet, so I'm going to have Dave hopefully do it with a V8 swap in mind. He hasn't even started, so I don't think this will be an issue.

I've done my research on the 4L60E, and that's why I want to use that as the transmission. I think I'll be very happy with it compared to the shitty 42RLE.

As for the LS, Dave was suggesting I either go with a 4.8 or a 5.3 as oppose to a LS1, so I think that's the route I'm heading as well. I have a call with Novak tomorrow who I am going to have advise me on this and probably just build me a turn key package I can install. I'm not in need of insane amounts of power here. I'd be happy with 300 hp, a lot of torque, and a nice transmission. I drive it a lot on the highway, but in my opinion, there's no need for a Corvette LS engine in a Wrangler. It's cool on paper, but in real world practicality, it's pointless.

I'd go with a Gen 3 5.3, especially if you want to keep the Jeep gauges.

If you have basic wrenching skills and can live without your Jeep for a little, it's a lot cheaper to just get a liftout from Ebay or a local wrecker, and buy the parts you need. I know Novak wants way more for their radiator than you can get other places. LS stuff is simple to work with.

What are you plans for the transfer case?

@Chris what took you so long? :risas3:

Rope me in when you need extra pair of hands along with @zebra12. I don't know much but I can be there and help you, if you can tell me exactly what you need me to do :)

Both Novak and Advance Adapters do great work, so talk to them both. This won't be cheap by any means, but you'll like the better engine and importantly, a much nicer transmission. The 42RLE is just :facepalm::facepalm:, esp the more research I do on it. Plus you'll have much more space for axle gearing if you ever need it.

Please keep us posted on what you find out from Novak/AA. I'll be watching this thread for sure.

ps: think about metal dash (click the link and see their photos) and nicer gauges when do do the swap!

I'd go with a Gen 3 5.3, especially if you want to keep the Jeep gauges.

If you have basic wrenching skills and can live without your Jeep for a little, it's a lot cheaper to just get a liftout from Ebay or a local wrecker, and buy the parts you need. I know Novak wants way more for their radiator than you can get other places. LS stuff is simple to work with.

What are you plans for the transfer case?

Okay, I'll take your advice on that and go with the 5.3. That's truthfully what I've been leaning towards the more and more I look into this.

That's what I thought as well. I don't see how Novak can charge $13,000 for this setup. Most places who do V8 swaps would want somewhere around 7-10k depending on what kind of V8 you put in, and that's including the labor. So 13k seems a bit nuts if you ask me.

I've seen what low mileage 5.3 engines go for, and it's nothing absurd, am I right? What would you expect to pay for a low mileage 5.3 from a wrecking yard?

@Chris what took you so long? :risas3:

Rope me in when you need extra pair of hands along with @zebra12. I don't know much but I can be there and help you, if you can tell me exactly what you need me to do :)

Both Novak and Advance Adapters do great work, so talk to them both. This won't be cheap by any means, but you'll like the better engine and importantly, a much nicer transmission. The 42RLE is just :facepalm::facepalm:, esp the more research I do on it. Plus you'll have much more space for axle gearing if you ever need it.

Please keep us posted on what you find out from Novak/AA. I'll be watching this thread for sure.

ps: think about metal dash (click the link and see their photos) and nicer gauges when do do the swap!

I'll let you guys know and keep everyone posted. I also found a local shop here in Salem who has done a handful of V8 swaps in Wranglers, he's even had builds featured in JP magazine!

I'll be much happier without that turd of a transmission (the 42RLE). But really, I was thinking about this in depth today, and with the 5k I was planning on spending for that Magnum Powers supercharger, it just makes more sense to spend a few thousand more and put in a V8, because at least I get a better transmission and a much better platform. Parts for the Chevy V8s are plentiful, the tuning support is abundant (unlike the 4.0), and it's a platform that will outlive the vehicle. Seriously... think about how many people do a Chevy V8 swap. They put those things in everything from Wranglers to Miatas!

Reactions: JMT and tomtaylz
Okay, I'll take your advice on that and go with the 5.3. That's truthfully what I've been leaning towards the more and more I look into this.

That's what I thought as well. I don't see how Novak can charge $13,000 for this setup. Most places who do V8 swaps would want somewhere around 7-10k depending on what kind of V8 you put in, and that's including the labor. So 13k seems a bit nuts if you ask me.

I've seen what low mileage 5.3 engines go for, and it's nothing absurd, am I right? What would you expect to pay for a low mileage 5.3 from a wrecking yard?

I'll let you guys know and keep everyone posted. I also found a local shop here in Salem who has done a handful of V8 swaps in Wranglers, he's even had builds featured in JP magazine!

I'll be much happier without that turd of a transmission (the 42RLE). But really, I was thinking about this in depth today, and with the 5k I was planning on spending for that Magnum Powers supercharger, it just makes more sense to spend a few thousand more and put in a V8, because at least I get a better transmission and a much better platform. Parts for the Chevy V8s are plentiful, the tuning support is abundant (unlike the 4.0), and it's a platform that will outlive the vehicle. Seriously... think about how many people do a Chevy V8 swap. They put those things in everything from Wranglers to Miatas!

The amount of parts this little Jeep has had thrown on it in the last 8 months is mind blowing. Curious what it’ll look like after two years of ownership 😜