About to Bypass Neutral Safety Switch

Yeah, I do like that solution. The bypass would latch as long as the starter is running. So if the starter stops cranking, you have to hit the button again if you want to crank again.

I thought about that, but it seems like an overly-complicated way to save myself from my own attentiveness. As it's been pointed out here & elsewhere, people managed without clutch safety switches for decades.

This would be ideal for me. I'd also eventually like to install a remote start since I daily mine. This way I could "arm" it before I go inside after I've double checked it's in neutral. Or use it to crawl on the starter when needed.

Would that be called a latching relay?

Bumping this old thread because I've been giving some thought to how I want to do this. I'm considering a custom button panel (from the likes of custom3dfab). I read @mrblaine 's comment and thought, "Yep, a momentary switch for clutch bypass makes total sense." But then I thought about the ways I'd be using it. For example: when swamped, holding down a switch while also cranking the key and, presumably, steering the Jeep, sounds like it could require more hands than I've got. So I'm back to thinking an on/off switch and the wherewithal to click it off when it's not needed is the way to go.

If you wanted to get real tricky, two momentary switches side-by-side on the dash could work: one starter (I guess with the ignition cylinder starter wire either connected or disconnected) and one clutch bypass. That way, you could operate the starter & clutch bypass with one hand. Letting go of either one would shut off the starter. Hmm.

Well, your Rubicon already bypasses the clutch switch when in 4L. And if you don't let idiots drive your Jeep, you can just jumper the clutch safety switch. Mine jumpered itself, and I haven't bothered to take it in for the recall on them.

My YJ didn't come with a clutch safety switch, I think it started with the TJs.

Reactions: Rickyd
There are stupid people in the world and there is no way to avoid them. The Nanny State attempts to minimize their impact on the rest of us.

Stupidity and nuclear waste have something in common: Don't get any on you.

I was in downtown Atlanta in my 66 F100. The brake pedal went to the floor and stayed there. I pulled the e-brake handle, and the truck came to a smooth stop. My wife asked me how I knew to do that. The answer is I don't know how I knew that. The brakes failed and I reacted.

Reactions: Claybirdd and Zorba
There are stupid people in the world and there is no way to avoid them. The Nanny State attempts to minimize their impact on the rest of us.

Stupidity and nuclear waste have something in common: Don't get any on you.

I was in downtown Atlanta in my 66 F100. The brake pedal went to the floor and stayed there. I pulled the e-brake handle, and the truck came to a smooth stop. My wife asked me how I knew to do that. The answer is I don't know how I knew that. The brakes failed and I reacted.

Agreed mostly, but the Nanny State exists primarily to protect idiots from themselves - to the detriment of everyone. I'm sick of it.

• USA Proud
Reactions: TheBoogieman
100% why when my Mustangs are out of the garage, I never take my eyes off them and why I bought a hardtop TJ. Too many idiots, thieves and dumbasses in the world today.

This would be ideal for me. I'd also eventually like to install a remote start since I daily mine. This way I could "arm" it before I go inside after I've double checked it's in neutral. Or use it to crawl on the starter when needed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3749532016...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

made my own but these work

edit: sorry just saw you wanted momentary, this one is full time. might help someone else out though you never know.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.

Yeah, I have to think some configuration of this would do the trick. The Engrish doesn't tell me as much as the reviews, and I'm betting at least half of the bad ones didn't know what they were buying.

You'd have to play with it to see what input on the SET & RES pins would do what you need it to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3749532016...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

made my own but these work

edit: sorry just saw you wanted momentary, this one is full time. might help someone else out though you never know.

That would be perfect (and much cheaper) for somebody looking to kill the interior lights when the doors are off. I made my own but I would have bought that one if I hadn't already for as cheap as it is. Still, that would be a good option if somebody wants to hide the switch (from kids) and use it for the clutch bypass.

Yeah, I have to think some configuration of this would do the trick. The Engrish doesn't tell me as much as the reviews, and I'm betting at least half of the bad ones didn't know what they were buying.

You'd have to play with it to see what input on the SET & RES pins would do what you need it to.

I was looking at that exact one and one other. I want to use a factory defog momentary switch and get a different cover to blend the two together. Something I could push, then the clutch bypass would be engaged until the next start, then it needs pushing again to be engaged. That way I could put it in neutral, "arm" it, then turn it off and go into work. Remote start would work exactly once, then it needs pushing again. Same for trying to crawl on the starter.

On second thought, that might be harder than I think. Maybe just a hidden on/off switch is best.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
That would be perfect (and much cheaper) for somebody looking to kill the interior lights when the doors are off. I made my own but I would have bought that one if I hadn't already for as cheap as it is. Still, that would be a good option if somebody wants to hide the switch (from kids) and use it for the clutch bypass.

I was looking at that exact one and one other. I want to use a factory defog momentary switch and get a different cover to blend the two together. Something I could push, then the clutch bypass would be engaged until the next start, then it needs pushing again to be engaged. That way I could put it in neutral, "arm" it, then turn it off and go into work. Remote start would work exactly once, then it needs pushing again. Same for trying to crawl on the starter.

On second thought, that might be harder than I think. Maybe just a hidden on/off switch is best.

get one of those reed switch things like the ADE system

One of the reviews of that relay indicated that it keeps state even when power is removed… “a true latching relay.” So, it could probably work the way you’re describing. It would just take some thinking and tinkering. I think the way I’d try to do it is to reset the relay with the OEM clutch safety switch, so it latches when you push your button, then unlatches when you push in the clutch. As I think about this more, you might need a diode in the loop to prevent the relay from unlatching itself.

I reached out to custom3dfab.com about a panel to hold the smaller switches that Toyota puts in their current-gen SUVs. I’m looking at replacing my switches with the ones from ch4x4.com:

Layout - Row 1
  1. Clutch bypass - on/off (SKU CH4X4-TOY-S-CUSTOM)
  2. Dome light - on/off (SKU CH4X4-TOY-INTL3-SML)
  3. Accessory lights - on/off (SKU ?)
  4. Accessory lights - on/off (SKU ?)
  5. Rear Camera - on/off (SKU CH4X4-TOY-REACAM1-SML)
  6. Dual (custom SKU CH4X4-TOY-S-D-CUSTOM):
    • Rear wiper - on/off
    • Rear defrost - on/off
Layout - Row 2
  1. Locker power - on/off (SKU CH4X4-TOY-S-CUSTOM)
  2. Dual (SKU CH4X4-TOY-D-FRLOCK-SML):
    • Rear locker - on/off
    • Front locker - on/off
  3. Winch power - on/off (SKU CH4X4-TOY-WPW-SML)
  4. Dual (SKU CH4X4-TOY-D-WINIO-SML)
    • Winch out - momentary
    • Winch in - momentary

Last edited:

Might be worth researching the clutch bypass switch and its circuit that is on older toyota trucks. It does exactly what you are wanting.

I want something similar on mine

Is anyone aware of what's on the switched power wire when the starter is cranking but the engine is off? If it only goes to +12VDC when the engine fires up, that would make a good latched relay reset.

Is anyone aware of what's on the switched power wire when the starter is cranking but the engine is off? If it only goes to +12VDC when the engine fires up, that would make a good latched relay reset.

Wiring diagram will be your best friend here, although it might not be easy to trace with how the diagrams are set up. I miss the days of my old CJ, where the entire wiring diagram could be fit on one (big) page and you could trace a wire from start to finish. Following a circuit in the FSM is like doing a choose your own adventure.