AC Evaporator Replacement

1Blacktj

TJ Enthusiast
Ok so long story short I took my jeep ti get the ac fixed last week and it already started blowing hot today. I took it back and the guy told me it was probly the evaporator. He quoted me 500$ to do it but I was trying to see if I could do it myself. What is the steps for replacing an evaporator???

I just did my a/c and heater core. Decided to do both since I was in there. Got an oem a/c evaporator off eBay. Just make sure you get one for a left hand drive... was super easy to do, just take your time and unplug all the electrical connections before you pull it out.. I tied some rope to the roll bars to hold it up instead of taking it completely out because it’s kind of heavy for one person to lift out without damaging anything.

I just told the guy to go ahead and do it. Sadly I don't have a weekend free for awhile and AC is something I really dont wanna go without for a month. Just had to bite the bullet on that one sadly.

We should not be doing A/C work without a vac pump and recovery unit, venting refrigerant to the outside is bad and it happens to be illegal if it's intentional.

I thought you had a problem with me, I am glad you don't, but sorry to hear about your Air Conditioning.

Just to reiterate, you took your tj in to get the A/C charged and they charged it and a few days later it stop blowing cold. My first suggestion is your mechanic is an ahole and you should find a new one. A/C is a closed unit. If it is blowing hot air or not cold air then it has a leak. If it is low then it has a leak and someone put some in it. Very Very Very rarely will you have a slow leak. So if you take your TJ in for a charge and they don't check for a leak they are destroying the atmosphere, and not doing you any service. Freon is too expensive to just throw in and have it leak out two weeks later. Also if it has a leak you probably have moister in it too.

in my opinion he should put 1lb of Freon in and check for a leak with dye and a blacklight. then evacuate it completely and replace whatever is leaking or give you a quote then completely evacuate it again and charge it with new Freon. Then he is on the hook for whatever else he/she might have missed.

Same thing happened on my G/F's Jeep here A/C didn't work when she bought it and I don't have the tools to fix that myself so we ran it down to the local garage and they did a dye test and found the upper hose was rotted they replaced it and evacutated the system and I think didn't even charge us for the first lb of Freon to find the leak. It ended up being about 300 bucks, but it was done in a day and has been good ever since. That is the way it should go.

Sorry to hear, about your troubles. but find a better shop.

As far as you doing it yourself, You can if you have the tools, but unless you have an evacuater, I would take it to the shop. If they do it right it will last a long time, and if you are like me you don't want to get stuck out in the heat.

I did some a/c work on my 96 F150 recently. Took it to the shop around the corner that does my inspections and had them evac the entire system (they didn't charge me). Then i took it home, fixed everything and had the refrigerant but since the shop evac'd it for free I let them charge it back up (and test the system) for a few bucks.

Reactions: ac_
We should not be doing A/C work without a vac pump and recovery unit, venting refrigerant to the outside is bad and it happens to be illegal if it's intentional.

I would hope this is common sense to take your vehicle to a shop to discharge and recharge, but then again I guess there’s not much of that these days.

If the AC is blowing hot hasn't that ship already sailed? Unless it's the compressor, but the mechanic already told him it was the evaporator, which means a leak, no?

If the AC is blowing hot hasn't that ship already sailed? Unless it's the compressor, but the mechanic already told him it was the evaporator, which means a leak, no?

We see slow leaks all the time. A few ounces make a difference, if you lose 6oz. of freon it won't blow very cold but if you open the system to service it you will still lose a pound or more.

He quoted me 500$ to do i

Seems like the shop quoted a very fair price considering the labor time involved.

Reactions: pveedee