Adapter Lug Nuts

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I'm swapping a set of JT wheels onto my Wrangler. The stock TJ lug nut thread pitch is a 1/2"x20 (19mm socket), while the JT is a 14x1.5mm (22mm socket). The adapters used for the swap are all 1/2"x20. When using the JT wheels on the adapter, the conical base on the TJ lug nut is to small. Does anyone know of a 1/2x20 lug nut that has a larger conical base, like the stock 14x1.5mm ones?

I'm swapping a set of JT wheels onto my Wrangler. The stock TJ lug nut thread pitch is a 1/2"x20 (19mm socket), while the JT is a 14x1.5mm (22mm socket). The adapters used for the swap are all 1/2"x20. When using the JT wheels on the adapter, the conical base on the TJ lug nut is to small. Does anyone know of a 1/2x20 lug nut that has a larger conical base, like the stock 14x1.5mm ones?
Look up dirt, circle, or oval track lug nuts. They will have the 1/2-20 thread pitch with an oversize conical section for dirt cars.

Reactions: Irun
The issue may be finding some that are 60 degree taper. You may have to recut the conical seat in the adapter and convert it to 45 degree.

The issue may be finding some that are 60 degree taper. You may have to recut the conical seat in the adapter and convert it to 45 degree.
That was the 1st thing I noticed, i.e. the 45° cut. I've also looked for specific JL or JT adapters, but no luck there.

A good post was written about this here a few years ago.

Running JL Wheels on TJ

Basically can order special adapters from tireshopspecialties that can be built for the TJ 5x4.5 1/2" stud, and have 5x5 M14x1.5 studs installed for the JL/JT rims. Then you can just use regular JL/JT lug nuts for the JL/JT wheels.

Cutting the seat is basic.
After looking closer at the dirt track 1/2x20 lug nuts, it appears those are 13/16" compared to the 3/4" stock ones. Also, the link @machoheadgames posted had good information. @CodaMan found a set of 1/2x20 13/16" lug nuts, which I ordered, along with the 271 Locktite. I'll use a marking compound to check both the stock and the new 13/16" lug nuts. Once I verify there is sufficient contact surface area for my liking, I'll have to bore the wheels for the WU-07 kit.

A good post was written about this here a few years ago.

Running JL Wheels on TJ

Basically can order special adapters from tireshopspecialties that can be built for the TJ 5x4.5 1/2" stud, and have 5x5 M14x1.5 studs installed for the JL/JT rims. Then you can just use regular JL/JT lug nuts for the JL/JT wheels.
Very helpful, thanks! (y)