Adding A/C to a standard 97 TJ 2.5

dannyemcclain

I have a 97 TJ with the 2.5 engine, and I saw a thread already posted but it was an automatic. I saw a lot of people saying it was a bad idea but would it be too bad of an idea to add it to the standard version? I would also like to know where I could find all the individual parts because I saw the jeep-air one is around 1k. Its also not lifted and has the factory gear ratio.

Sell that one and buy one with 4.0L and A/C if that’s what you want… my 97 TJ with a 2.5 auto has A/C built in and when I turn the A/C on 2 of the squirrels go on strike… The A/C sucks what little bit of power it has completely out of it…. Open the windows and enjoy the breeze! 😎

while I have A/C in my TJ it's a 4.0L, so not that big a thing, my TJ doesn't really feel it much when the A/C kicks on, however, I also have a 4 cylinder 5 speed YJ, and can't imagine it with A/C.. the 2.5L can't afford to have anything sucking what little power the thing has, away from it...especially, if you run bigger tires, and live near any hills

Sell that one and buy one with 4.0L and A/C if that’s what you want… my 97 TJ with a 2.5 auto has A/C built in and when I turn the A/C on 2 of the squirrels go on strike… The A/C sucks what little bit of power it has completely out of it…. Open the windows and enjoy the breeze! 😎

Yeah I saw that AC on the automatic version has a huge impact on the power, but I couldn’t find anything about the standard version. I imagine it also has a significant impact but my question is just how big of an impact

while I have A/C in my TJ it's a 4.0L, so not that big a thing, my TJ doesn't really feel it much when the A/C kicks on, however, I also have a 4 cylinder 5 speed YJ, and can't imagine it with A/C.. the 2.5L can't afford to have anything sucking what little power the thing has, away from it...especially, if you run bigger tires, and live near any hills

well I have normal tires and don’t live near very many hills

I added AC to my 2.5L 5spd. It definitely takes a bit when 5hr compressor kicks in, but it's still better to have it. My wife couldn't handle the heat. I do turn it off on longer climbs, not because of heat issues but because if I'm able to just barely climb a hill on the hwy in 5th or 4th, I'm going to have to downshift if the AC comes on.

Proper gearing helps a ton, and a couple small 'power' mods helped. Putting an electric fan setup and a 4.0 throttle body really seemed to add about what I lose when the AC kicks in.

I definitely wish I could just turn it on and not worry about it, but I'm still glad I have it, even if it can be a little hassle at times-turning it off to climb hills.

I have a 97 TJ with the 2.5 engine, and I saw a thread already posted but it was an automatic. I saw a lot of people saying it was a bad idea but would it be too bad of an idea to add it to the standard version? I would also like to know where I could find all the individual parts because I saw the jeep-air one is around 1k. Its also not lifted and has the factory gear ratio.

Hey, welcome to the forum. My 97 2.5 has AC and yes can feel some power loss when it's on, but sure beats enduring the heat.

I think your best bet for finding all the individual parts is going to be finding someone who is parting out a TJ. What I don't know (and others might) is what model years would work for your 97. My guess is that any year with the 2.5 would work for you, but keep in mind that there are many quirks of the 97 models, so there may be some things that make other year models' AC systems different? Others on here will know better than I do.

I'll add this thread to the SE thread. Keep us posted on your progress.

If you want some examples of places that part out TJs, see this thread. Or if you use Facebook, you can often find part-out listings on Marketplace.

Hey, welcome to the forum. My 97 2.5 has AC and yes can feel some power loss when it's on, but sure beats enduring the heat.

I think your best bet for finding all the individual parts is going to be finding someone who is parting out a TJ. What I don't know (and others might) is what model years would work for your 97. My guess is that any year with the 2.5 would work for you, but keep in mind that there are many quirks of the 97 models, so there may be some things that make other year models' AC systems different? Others on here will know better than I do.

I'll add this thread to the SE thread. Keep us posted on your progress.

If you want some examples of places that part out TJs, see this thread. Or if you use Facebook, you can often find part-out listings on Marketplace.

Thank you!

I added AC to my 2.5L 5spd. It definitely takes a bit when 5hr compressor kicks in, but it's still better to have it. My wife couldn't handle the heat. I do turn it off on longer climbs, not because of heat issues but because if I'm able to just barely climb a hill on the hwy in 5th or 4th, I'm going to have to downshift if the AC comes on.

Proper gearing helps a ton, and a couple small 'power' mods helped. Putting an electric fan setup and a 4.0 throttle body really seemed to add about what I lose when the AC kicks in.

I definitely wish I could just turn it on and not worry about it, but I'm still glad I have it, even if it can be a little hassle at times-turning it off to climb hills.

Thank you, this really helps in knowing if it is worth it or not

The 97-98 ac controls on the dash is hard to find and expensive.for the rest you really need a parts jeep and be ready to completely tear your dash apart. I don't see how the swap would be different for an auto vs manual

The 97-98 ac controls on the dash is hard to find and expensive.for the rest you really need a parts jeep and be ready to completely tear your dash apart. I don't see how the swap would be different for an auto vs manual

Oh that's true. The "slider" controls sell on eBay for anything from $150–$350, if I remember correctly. But again, if someone were parting out a 97 or 98 with the slider controls, that'd work.

But does the OP have to use that? Could the OP use an AC system from a 99 or 2000 with the knob controls? Meaning if it were the entire system being put in at once?

Well what I meant was the the automatic with ac takes a lot more power away than the standard with ac, I don’t know how true it is but thats what I read

Oh that's true. The "slider" controls sell on eBay for anything from $150–$350, if I remember correctly. But again, if someone were parting out a 97 or 98 with the slider controls, that'd work.

But does the OP have to use that? Could the OP use an AC system from a 99 or 2000 with the knob controls? Meaning if it were the entire system being put in at once?

I assumed that the slider would be a universal thing?

There are writeups for converting the hvac to the later style. Thankfully mine still works....

Well what I meant was the the automatic with ac takes a lot more power away than the standard with ac, I don’t know how true it is but thats what I read

Ac doesn't take more power with an auto. The auto takes more power to turn,so there's less left over for ac and going down the highway. It really is amazing just how gutless the 2.5l autos are. You'll never grenade a diff or ujoint with that setup

My 2.5 w/ac is fine around town, rule one with the 2.5 is keep her basically stock and light. I think you will find the 1K for the Jeep Air is money well spent over trying to piece a system together, especially when it comes to refrigerant components.

Reactions: SSTJ and Rickyd
I don't quite follow you. The slider controls were only on early-model TJs. Those are hard to find now. After that they changed to knobs.

oh my bad, I assumed that all models without AC had a slider for the heater, and when you get AC you put in the knobs instead. Will the slider thats currently in the jeep not work?