Adding Accessory Switches: Auxbeam 8 Gang Switch vs NiRider 6 Gang Switch vs DIY Dual Switch Panel Mod

Great write-up. I just did something very similar. The only issue Im still having is that the back lights on the switch are always on. I have tried tapping into every fuse in the engine bay fuse box, but they all seem hot all the time, I can't find one that's only on with ignition. Where did you run the tap a fuse? Thanks

PS new member so I couldn't PM you. Hope you see this

I have an 05 rubi. May be different from yours but I just connected some lighted switches to the dimmable dash lights. Coming into the back of the switches below the hvac controls, are several wires orange with brown stripe (or vice versa). In my rig, these are for dimmable dash lights. I just tapped off 1 and now my lighted switches work with everything else.

I found the wire by digging through the factory wiring diagrams

The relay control box will not be a meaningful source of voltage loss. You should be more concerned with the wire you use to connect things. For example, 8 feet of 16 gauge copper wire will lose about 1/3 volt at 5 amps:

View attachment 334671

I always use a voltage drop calculator when I'm planning wiring, here's the one pictured above: https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/voltage-drop-calculator.html. There will always be some voltage drop in a wire, but with proper gauge wiring of shortest possible length, you can minimize voltage drop.

As far as mounting goes, the 6-gang unit is smaller and can fit in more places than the 8-gang. I am not currently using the 6-gang unit (or the other 8-gang they sent me to test) - after I testing I put the kits back in the boxes because I didn't have an immediate use for them, but just now I took the 6-gang panel out of the box and posed some photos in one of my 06's for you.

In the center stack, it's a bit too wide to fit on the right side (left photo); it would fit over the left side, but that would obscure the power outlet (center photo); but it would fit vertically on the right side (right photo).

View attachment 334672

Around the instrument panel, it would fit nicely on the dash at the upper left side of the console (left photo); also nicely under the instrument panel at the lower right (center photo); or could be mounted at the upper right corner although there it would overhang the panel a bit (right photo).

View attachment 334673

It fits very nicely in front of the emergency brake lever down on the center console...

View attachment 334674

It also would mount very nicely above the windshield. I'm holding it a bit off-center here because my Garmin GPS mounts in the center and that mount is in the way for the photo.

View attachment 334675

Happy to answer any other questions you have about this unit or photograph it (or the 8-gang panel) in any other locations you might want to try mounting it.

So is the 8 just wider, not taller? Fitting that above the mirror would be perfect for my TJ.

So is the 8 just wider, not taller? Fitting that above the mirror would be perfect for my TJ.

Just wider.

6and8Panels.jpg

I see no issue with loss of output on any of the lights. As noted, choosing the right gauge given the accessory and length of run is important.

I have an 05 rubi. May be different from yours but I just connected some lighted switches to the dimmable dash lights. Coming into the back of the switches below the hvac controls, are several wires orange with brown stripe (or vice versa). In my rig, these are for dimmable dash lights. I just tapped off 1 and now my lighted switches work with everything else.

I found the wire by digging through the factory wiring diagrams

I used the same source for power to the backlight of the switch panel, mainly for ease and proximity. The Auxbeam unit does have a two step dimming capability, but doesn't dim with the dash lights.

I have given thought to upgrading to the BT version, which has auto dim and to color match backlight to the dash.

I have the Auxbeam 8 Gang Switch in my Jeep and love it so much I'm putting it in my Power Wagon but getting the Bluetooth model for the Power Wagon. Not for the remote but because the buttons are programmable.

Now I just need to wait for my Power Wagon.. Ordered it in December..