Adjustable Control Arms and Stock Driveshaft

Okay, yesterday I got the rear control arms installed and adjusted. I spent more time cycling and adjusting than the actual install.

Did it work? I'm going to give it a qualified yes. I got rid of the vibration, but as @JMT suggested, the driveshaft angles may be a bit too much for this to be a permanent solution. As @pagrey said, I'm going to trade off some accelerated wear for smoothness.
Ultimately, the SYE and the double cardan driveshaft are the solution. But, I think I can easily buy myself a month or 2 until then.
View attachment 284302
Good work! The time you spent cycling and adjusting will pay off when you get your SYE together. Enjoy those new arms and the new vibe-free ride.

Reactions: SoCalGlide
Welp, it looks like I spoke too soon. The vibes aren't as bad as they were, but they are still there. They do seem different, less of an oscillating vibration, and more of a steady vibration. Still mostly in that 50-55 mph range. Improved, but not fixed.

The options I have now, until I go SYE and DC driveshaft, are Lo-pro mount, lower the UFC skid further, or put the stock skid back on for now. I'm not in love with the idea of the Lo-pro mount, but I have one in hand, and it would be temporary. For that matter, all of my options would be temporary. Lowering the UFC skid would lose much of the clearance I was looking for, but at least it would be a smooth skid. The only pro to putting the stock skid back on is that I know I didn't have any vibes with it.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Wear is caused by vibes, even the ones we don't feel in the driver's seat.
Yep, I think spicer even says anyting over three degrees and you're on your own. It's complicated, not only vibes but the joint is simply moving more. There's always more to anything than works or don't right?

Yep, I think spicer even says anyting over three degrees and you're on your own. It's complicated, not only vibes but the joint is simply moving more. There's always more to anything than works or don't right?
Spicer has a chart that shows the decreased life expectancy (I think in rotations) as the operating angle of the u joint increases. Those of us who are running taller lifts and raised skids with lots of driveshaft angle, but no vibes, will have our u joints wear out sooner than those with flatter driveshafts.

Those who have driveshaft vibes are simply running angles to the point that they have far more accelerated wear than those with less angle.

Additionally, those who report that the driveline vibes above or below certain speeds are experiencing axle wrap that "corrects" the driveline angles at those speeds. Which means the pinion angle is on one side of the window where there are no vibes.

Reactions: pagrey
Is it safe to assume that component wear (due to driveline vibes) will manifest itself in the U- joints rather than a bearing? I.e. pinion or TC output?

Let's not jump the shark on this. The advice always given about driveline angles is that every Jeep is different, install and see if you have vibes and then deal with what you have. I don't see a need to rehash that advice. Sure, lifted Jeeps wear faster than stock, that isn't news to anybody.

Is it safe to assume that component wear (due to driveline vibes) will manifest itself in the U- joints rather than a bearing? I.e. pinion or TC output?
Vibes will increase the wear on everything affected by them. Some things will wear more quickly than others.

I did a search and didn't find it but @mrblaine posted some time ago what angles I think he has made work without vibes just generally. I haven't seen any numbers from @SoCalGlide so I don't know how useful the numbers would be but if I were in his shoes I think that would be good info to have. If anybody has a link to that thread or if Blaine cares to share it might be helpful.