Advice buying new shock absorbers and springs for a stock TJ

AdelaideTJ

Hi all, new TJ owner from Australia. I am trying to dispel some confusion around buying new shock absorbers and springs, specifically with how products are marketed. I am using my TJ to learn mechanics etc. so I probably lack some fundamental knowledge. I seem to only be able to find shocks that have some degree of lift, and as far as I am aware my TJ is stock. I would like to keep it stock at this stage. Is there such thing as a standard length shock, or are "2 inch lift" shocks actually suitable for the 0-2" range, and therefore what I am looking for?

I am having similar issues trying to purchase new springs (I have a lean to one side, and believe the springs have sagged). Are springs typically sold as standard lengths? If so, can someone tell me what I am looking for on the box? I have read elsewhere here that we have 12" and 8" springs for front and rear, but again can't seem to find many specifics in my browsing, just 2", 3", 4" lift for Jeep TJ etc.

Admittedly I am mostly looking online, and I am about 1400kms away from my Jeep so I can't measure what I have :-/
I also plan on popping in to a 4x4 store at some point once I get back home and asking somebody, but hoping to shop around and do this work myself if I can, once I know what to purchase.

I am essentially trying to scope out and research what I need now so I can fly back to my hometown, pick up what I need, fix up the suspension on my Jeep, and then drive it over to where I live now.

Appreciate any advice anyone may have on the sizes so that I can look into it with a little more certainty.

Cheers and beers 🍻

12" and 8" are the height of stock springs with the weight of the jeep on them. 2,3,4" refers to additional height. There are a few aussie members here. Hopefully they can help you with parts sources. Rock auto?

Reactions: ColoJeep
Hello from the US. My TJ is stock height also.

Like others have said, 12" is the standard spring height in the front (when mounted) and 8" is the standard spring height in the back (when mounted). But if you're away from your TJ right now, and if they are already sagging, that may not be the info you need.

For springs, yes, some companies make stock replacements. A good example is Moog. I bought their stock replacements a while back and wrote about it here. In that link you can see the options I considered and the ones I went with. Have a look and let us know if you have any other follow-up questions.

For shocks, you probably won't find many advertised as "stock height", but rather, as you said, described as 0–2" lift, or something like that. The Rancho RS5000X that are popular on here are a good example.

Reactions: Weasellee
Lots of good info in this thread; for shocks, just find something that is as close to the stock lengths as possible. Or you could just get standard OEM replacements from an auto parts store. In the US, this would be something like Monroe or Gabriel shock absorbers. Not sure what brands of replacement parts you have access to in AUS. For springs, you can do the same. Get stock replacement parts such as Moog.

Reactions: SSTJ
OME (Old Man Emu) are an Oz Company that have been supplying Jeep parts forever. Should be able to find a dealer close by.

Reactions: Frankm
Thanks everyone for the great responses, I think I'm getting a clearer picture in my head now. I've found some King springs and Rancho shocks that say they provide a 40mm lift, and I have a sagging rear right spring at the moment. 40mm doesn't seem like a huge change, and it seems I won't need to make other aftermarket changes to accommodate until I'm lifting 3" or more, so I may consider going down that path afterall.

Thanks everyone for the great responses, I think I'm getting a clearer picture in my head now. I've found some King springs and Rancho shocks that say they provide a 40mm lift, and I have a sagging rear right spring at the moment. 40mm doesn't seem like a huge change, and it seems I won't need to make other aftermarket changes to accommodate until I'm lifting 3" or more, so I may consider going down that path afterall.

If you'd like, post the Rancho part numbers and others on here can confirm that you've got the right ones. Also, keep in mind that many users on here have written that the RS5000X are preferred over the RS5000.

Out of curiosity, which 'king' springs offer a 40mm lift? Sounds about equal to the HR springs that are popular on this forum for giving about a 1–1.5" lift.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks, I have been looking at a few retailers which have the specific part numbers so I will try and find those again and post them. It is a bit tricky to get Ranchos here by the looks, unless I pay big for them through Amazon from the US, so I have also had a look into some Bilstein B6s. I'll try and find those part numbers too and post.

King Springs is an Australian manufacturer of springs that make a raised coil with approx. 35mm lift from standard, according to their catalogue (Page 100): https://kingsprings.com.au/catalogue/download.pdf?id=1680119576

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/king-springs-kjfr-23

They are fairly reputable from what I understand, but other Aussie forum members may have valuable opinions. It's the first time I'll have done the suspension on any car truth be told.

The great excel spreadsheet with the breakdown of difference spring lengths and rates in of the threads linked to above was very useful, and it seems like these springs will fit nicely, but give a small amount of lift. I can get each pair for A$160 which is approx. $108 USD. I will consider going with them unless I can find a quality spring close to the stock height from an Aussie retailer around a similar price point, but I doubt my chances!

Reactions: SSTJ
Thanks, I have been looking at a few retailers which have the specific part numbers so I will try and find those again and post them. It is a bit tricky to get Ranchos here by the looks, unless I pay big for them through Amazon from the US, so I have also had a look into some Bilstein B6s. I'll try and find those part numbers too and post.

King Springs is an Australian manufacturer of springs that make a raised coil with approx. 35mm lift from standard, according to their catalogue (Page 100): https://kingsprings.com.au/catalogue/download.pdf?id=1680119576

They are fairly reputable from what I understand, but other Aussie forum members may have valuable opinions. It's the first time I'll have done the suspension on any car truth be told.

The great excel spreadsheet with the breakdown of difference spring lengths and rates in of the threads linked to above was very useful, and it seems like these springs will fit nicely, but give a small amount of lift. I can get each pair for A$160 which is approx. $108 USD. I will consider going with them unless I can find a quality spring close to the stock height from an Aussie retailer around a similar price point, but I doubt my chances!

That spreadsheet should also break down shocks by open and closed lengths, including the stock shocks as a reference point.

@Chris

Is there an easy way for the OP to tag all users from Australia? Also FYI in case these King Springs are worth adding to your spreadsheet.