Advice Needed on Selling my Husband's LJ

Sorry to hear of the loss of your husband, and I wish you all the best with the sale of the LJ. Lots of good advice here on the best approach to moving it. Also, don't let anyone bully or B.S. you. It's sad to say that there are plenty of guys who would immediately assume that you don't know what you're talking about (regarding vehicles) because you're a woman. I'd like to think that kind of nonsense is less prevalent within the Jeep community, but who knows. Anyways, it's your vehicle right up until the time that it isn't. Don't let it go until you're satisfied with the deal.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

A little late for that advice.

It was already inspected . . . .

A potential buyer commissioned that inspection, not the seller. She is not charged with knowledge of the results unless she requested and was provided a written copy of that inspection.

My point is that as a seller she should not pay for an inspection and should not pay for repairs. It will sell as is.

BTW, the asking price in the FS post on this forum is fair, perhaps even a bit low for a rust free LJR. She should not discount the price much if at all regardless of what a potential buyer may tell her is wrong with her husband's jeep.

Reactions: Jeepn_Texas
I am really out of my element here and could use some help. I have my deceased husband's Jeep for sale here on this forum and on Autotrader. I have had good response. Recently an interested buyer requested an inspection. I am glad he did because it revealed some mechanical issues that I was not aware of. Most of it was relatively minor, like the rear brakes needing to be replaced, but the big one was that the transfer case was found to be wet so there are leaks that the technician could not pinpoint so would have to powerwash and use dye to find them and then fix. Potentially 2k . Ouch!

Here is my dilemma: The inquiries that have been made since the inspection I have made aware of the issues. Once made known it is more than they are willing to put into the jeep. My question and the advice I need is it better to get the expensive repairs done? Would I recoup the cost? Or do i drastically reduce the price in order to make the repairs worth it? The tech that did the inspection said overall the jeep was in great shape and considered the issues not uncommon for a vehicle used for off roading.

You don't have a dilemma. This is simple and basic. List the rig with whatever attributes make it what it is at a price you are comfy with. Be accurate, don't embellish, remove any mention of why the rig is looking for a new owner. Be sure to include the phrase "as is where is" in there somewhere.

The knowledgeable folks will know what they are looking for and whether or not they have found it at a price they are willing to pay. Don't let anyone jerk you around on the price over petty crap.

Print this out and put it in your pocket if they try to mess you around.
My friend said you would try this shit and he knows I'm nice and won't tell you to fuck off. He also said I could hand this to you instead of saying it and you would clearly get the message.

After you hand that to a few of them, they'll get the message. Also tell them to hop on here if they want to try and justify their bullshit and at least a few of us can take them to task.

She is not charged with knowledge of the results

Nobody is charging anybody with anything.

Alternative facts notwithstanding, an inspection was actually done here in the real world (who paid? Who cares) and the results could actually be used to help with the sale if the leak is no big deal which is probably the case.

I am really out of my element here and could use some help. I have my deceased husband's Jeep for sale here on this forum and on Autotrader. I have had good response. Recently an interested buyer requested an inspection. I am glad he did because it revealed some mechanical issues that I was not aware of. Most of it was relatively minor, like the rear brakes needing to be replaced, but the big one was that the transfer case was found to be wet so there are leaks that the technician could not pinpoint so would have to powerwash and use dye to find them and then fix. Potentially 2k . Ouch!

Here is my dilemma: The inquiries that have been made since the inspection I have made aware of the issues. Once made known it is more than they are willing to put into the jeep. My question and the advice I need is it better to get the expensive repairs done? Would I recoup the cost? Or do i drastically reduce the price in order to make the repairs worth it? The tech that did the inspection said overall the jeep was in great shape and considered the issues not uncommon for a vehicle used for off roading.
Did you take the jeep to THEIR mechanic?
If you did, they are trying to cheat you!
Take it to YOUR mechanic, get his full official write up and if they don't accept it, don't sell!
It is a common scam to get mechanic friend to claim all kinds of issues to promote a lower price.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Nobody is charging anybody with anything.

Alternative facts notwithstanding, an inspection was actually done here in the real world (who paid? Who cares) and the results could actually be used to help with the sale if the leak is no big deal which is probably the case.
Or the buyer's brother inlaw is the mechanic and they do this all the time to reduce price for car flipping!
Sorry, I use to have a heart, now all I have is fatty ground beef!

Don't take the damn thing anywhere, don't discount the damn thing either. If they want it, they can hand over cash and drive the MF'er wherever they please.
Don't let those pricks prey on you, you have it, they don't make anymore LJ's, and they are not as easy to find as a TJ. You have the upper hand, they want to bullshit you, lock the thing up and go put your feet up until someone serious wants to buy it; you have better things to do then negotiate a sale.

I'm really sorry to hear about your husband. I can't imagine what you are/went through.

From the looks of it and the way it is described in his profile, I don't think you'll have an issue getting the price you're looking for. I've bought and sold many cars and it seems like there is a 1:10 ratio of lowballers trying to make a quick buck to people actually willing to buy it at fair value.

Maybe @ac_ knows someone in your area that could lend you a hand. I had the pleasure of meeting him last year and he is a stand-up guy. At the very least he likely knows the AZ jeep market fairly well and can point you in a good direction.

Another thought would be selling it on eBay. @Chris is seemingly on eBay every other hour so he may have some pointers if you choose to go down that route.

Once again I am really sorry about your husband.

I'm not a person who's real mechanically inclined so anything I have to have done that's over my head I take my Jeep to a specialty place. I have to drive over two hours there and wait for the repair but they are honest and knowledgeable and so to me it's worth my time and mileage. Local garages - even the local Jeep dealership - have no idea what they're looking at and give outrageous quotes. As an example I had to have my clutch rebuilt, which is beyond my ability. The Jeep dealership in town wanted $2400. I got it done at the Jeep shop for $750. Big difference.

I can't say what I would do in your position but I would most likely find a good 4 X 4 shop (there has to be something near Tuscon) and take it to them for their opinion. You get good advice here but nobody really knows what's wrong with your Jeep. When you have a better idea what is involved you'll know whether potential buyers are sincere or are bullshit artists. Just my opinion.

Mr. Bills said:
. . .She is not charged with knowledge of the results [of an inspection commissioned by a potential buyer]. . . .

Nobody is charging anybody with anything. . .

The phrase "charged with knowledge" simply means that knowledge of something is imputed to someone even though that person may not have "actual" or "first hand" knowledge.
;)

The bottom line here is that in nearly every state the purchaser of a used car has the right to have the vehicle inspected by the mechanic of the buyer's choice prior to the purchase. The purpose is to aid the buyer in making a sound business decision. A seller can refuse and the buyer's remedy is to walk away. Since inspection results are solely for the buyer's benefit, inspections should be at the buyer's sole expense, and a seller has no obligation to discount anything no matter what a buyer's inspection report might say.

In this instance I see no benefit in the seller having an inspection performed or any repairs done. Her husband's jeep is priced fairly as is - with all warts and defects, known and unknown. If a potential buyer doesn't want to deal with a potential rear main seal or valve cover leak or the expense of re-sealing a transfer case then they can buy another jeep. This LJ Rubicon is $16,000 cash - as is, where is.

Last edited:
My advise from selling multiple used vehicles is that you should NEVER let anyone take your vehicle to be "pre-inspected" during a potential sale.

This is what will probably happen: They will take it to their "buddies" shop who will proceed to nit-pick every detail and exaggerate the resulting repair. Then they will total up the cost of these "repairs" and try to leverage you on the asking price. Depending on your personality you may feel convinced what you are being told is correct and you should settle on their terms. First of all, you are not selling a new jeep. Its 14+ years old and will likely need some repair no matter what. And also, you owe them zero favors in this deal, you have the product and overall control.

My advise from selling multiple used vehicles is that you should NEVER let anyone take your vehicle to be "pre-inspected" during a potential sale.

That may be the way things are done in Canada, but in Arizona and most states in the U.S. it is common (and highly recommended by consumer protection and other government agencies) that the buyer have any used vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic of the buyer's choice prior to the purchase.

See, e.g.: Arizona Motor Vehicle Department "Car Buying Checklist:" https://apps.azdot.gov/files/mvd/mvd-forms-lib/46-8504.pdf

As mentioned above, a seller has no obligation to discount anything no matter what a potential purchaser's inspection report reveals.

Your Jeep!
Your Price!
THEIR DECISION!
You do not OWE them anything, you are selling THAT vehicle for THAT price
And that is the end of your responsibility!
You can have the jeep appraised, but any jeep person knows exactly what it is
or they would not be there in the first place.
Your Husband loved that jeep, did he not?
So will the next honest buyer.
I know what it feels like to lose a spouse, lost a wife 15 years ago to cancer.
My heart goes out to you.

Honestly, have you considered keeping it and enjoy the kind fellowship?

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear about your husband. I can't imagine what you are/went through.

From the looks of it and the way it is described in his profile, I don't think you'll have an issue getting the price you're looking for. I've bought and sold many cars and it seems like there is a 1:10 ratio of lowballers trying to make a quick buck to people actually willing to buy it at fair value.

Maybe @ac_ knows someone in your area that could lend you a hand. I had the pleasure of meeting him last year and he is a stand-up guy. At the very least he likely knows the AZ jeep market fairly well and can point you in a good direction.

Another thought would be selling it on eBay. @Chris is seemingly on eBay every other hour so he may have some pointers if you choose to go down that route.

Once again I am really sorry about your husband.

I am really sorry to hear also, we actually met last summer at a meet up in south Chandler. Unfortunately, I am half a state away from Oro Valley, but if there is something I can do to help I would be happy to do what I can.

I agree with @Jerry Bransford you should be able to get the leak fixed for a lot cheaper than 2K. I know some people in my area, but it is way too far for you. I live a few miles from where we met up last year at the Cheeseburger restaurant.

Also to be fair, you don't have to rebuild the Jeep to sell it. You can discount it slightly, and tell people what you know is wrong with it that you know of, but you definitely don't have to give it away either. Your jeep is in good shape, and they only made them for a couple of years. People really want these, and they will pay for it in my opinion. You may have to wait for a while, but someone will be happy to get a non-rust Arizona LJ with a wet transfer case.

Last edited:
Good luck with the sale and keep on going in life- I'm sure there are some folks on the board that would be happy to help if you need any assistance- your a bit far from Seattle- but If I can help anything from up here- please ask.

Sorry for your loss.
I just looked at your ad. Don't budge a dime on your price.
That's a clean, rust free 6spd LJ in Az, it will sell for the asking price.

Edited: You may try advertising on Facebook Marketplace, the Arizona Virtual Jeep Club FB page, or the Jeep LJ Owners Club page on FB. You have a very desirable Jeep in great shape, at a very reasonable price, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear about your husband’s passing !
-We own a ‘05 LJ same colour and all I can say : DON’T lower the price unless you’re really strapped for money and do not invest another penny in the JEEP. The right buyer will come along and appreciate his investment without questioning
-We had taken our sweet time to find an LJ and we found ours, that’s like 5 years ago
-Wish you all the best and patience in adjusting to your new life
Greetings from “MILE ZERO Alaska highway “ Dawson Creek

—•|||||•—👋🏿