Advice Needed on Selling my Husband's LJ

05 Blue Unlimited

TJ Addict
Ride of the Month Winner
I am really out of my element here and could use some help. I have my deceased husband's Jeep for sale here on this forum and on Autotrader. I have had good response. Recently an interested buyer requested an inspection. I am glad he did because it revealed some mechanical issues that I was not aware of. Most of it was relatively minor, like the rear brakes needing to be replaced, but the big one was that the transfer case was found to be wet so there are leaks that the technician could not pinpoint so would have to powerwash and use dye to find them and then fix. Potentially 2k . Ouch!

Here is my dilemma: The inquiries that have been made since the inspection I have made aware of the issues. Once made known it is more than they are willing to put into the jeep. My question and the advice I need is it better to get the expensive repairs done? Would I recoup the cost? Or do i drastically reduce the price in order to make the repairs worth it? The tech that did the inspection said overall the jeep was in great shape and considered the issues not uncommon for a vehicle used for off roading.

In my experience I wouldn't discount the price at all for a leaking transfer case. These cases seal with just RTV so it's not uncommon that there be a leak. You can post the ad here as well, Lj's are very desireable so to the right person that sort or leak would be of little concern depending on the condition otherwise.

Reactions: Chris
There's no way that it should cost $2k to fix a leak in a transfer case. You even could buy a used but good replacement transfer case for less than a fourth of that. I'd definitely find a different shop, I'd go find the closest 4x4 shop that specializes in Jeeps and talk with them. Standard garages that don't specialize in Jeeps tend to overcharge for simple repairs that a 4x4-friendly shop probably would not.

Do you guys think it could be the rear main seal? I know my XJ has a leaky RMS and it "blows" oil onto the transfer case from driving, which might lead someone to suspect the TC is leaking. Just a thought. Sorry about your husband's passing.

Do you guys think it could be the rear main seal? I know my XJ has a leaky RMS and it "blows" oil onto the transfer case from driving, which might lead someone to suspect the TC is leaking. Just a thought. Sorry about your husband's passing.
I have all sorts of weeping components and only 90k on the clock. It's less effort just to regularly check levels and make sure nothing is low then chase every leak lol.

Sorry to hear about your husband.

Leaking oil from the engine can move it's way back as the Jeep is driven so it could be from someplace else. If it is the transfer case that is leaking, it could range from a leaking seal to a cracked case.

I'm sure that their "as high as" estimate includes everything from brand new parts, labor, and other possible things that may need replacing when removing it. Even still, $2000 is higher than I'd expect since a good used NP231 can be found for under $400, labor is typically $100/hour, and no special tools or parts are required.

To the right buyer, a leak is going to be no big deal. I had bought one with a leaking engine, transmission, and diffs. All of those were the least of my concerns since I knew I could fix them in a weekend to my satisfaction with a $8 tube or two of RTV. If you don't need the money right away wait until you find the right buyer.

To most buyers, a leak can mean the same thing it does to you: having to diagnose it, spend money on parts, and bring it to a shop to have the labor done. It's no longer a turn-key purchase.

Reactions: AndyG
Our world out there is full of "vultures".
Most if they learned that you do not know about jeeps.
Do you have a guy friend that knows mechanical and can help you sell the jeep?

Post a link to your for sale jeep on here with pictures of exterior, interior and underneath. A good description, mileage, modifications that you know of. Lets get this Jeep sold without any money coming out of your pocket And at a fair price to you. An Arizona Jeep should be rust free but we need photos to back it up.

watch out for the rats trying to take advantage.

Reactions: mrblaine
Just wait for the right "jeep" guy or girl to come and buy the jeep. Don't let anyone bully you around about the price and beat you up for small /minor deficiencies. Most won't care about an leak here or there...

Reactions: vinsanity
It shouldn't cost that much, just pull the rear driveshaft, remove the yoke, drain the TCase, remove the front of the Tcase, clean it up, put some RTV on it, seal it back up, fill with ATF+4 and move on. Probably take 2 hours. IF you know anyone who works on Jeeps, a friend of your husbands or something, they could help you. I am sorry for your loss. ☹️

Don't discount the price and don't do the repairs, it will sell to someone who knows what they are buying. When they ask to inspect it say sure, but don't expect me to correct the inspection findings. It is "As is, where is" don't worry, it'll sell. I you might remove the part about it being your deceased husbands Jeep

Reactions: AndyG and Sea Cot
The leak could be almost anything from the TC forward but the most likely source by far is the RMS. The RMS leaks on a lot of 4.0 engines. The next most likely location is the valve cover.

If possible, I would try to get the underside power washed and wipe everything down then see exactly where it's coming from. Or at least figure out if it's the engine, transmission, or transfer case that is actually leaking.

If there are any forum members living near you, maybe one could help you out by at least looking at it and hopefully give you more specific info on the condition to share with potential buyers.

Looks like the Jeep was purchased new in CO and "lived" there till 2013. Is rust ever an issue with CO Jeeps?

Don't discount the price and don't do the repairs, it will sell to someone who knows what they are buying. When they ask to inspect it say sure, but don't expect me to correct the inspection findings. It is "As is, where is" don't worry, it'll sell. You might remove the part about it being your deceased husbands Jeep

^^ This.

Don't get the jeep inspected and don't have any repairs done. The more you know about the jeep the more you obligate yourself to reveal what you know, particularly if asked a direct question. Ignorance is bliss. Sell it "as is, where is, with no warranties of any kind except warranty of title."

Pick a reasonable asking price, know your bottom price (and keep it to yourself), and cooperate with buyer's having the jeep inspected by the mechanic of their choice. You will be lowballed, and there will be many potential buyers who will be happy to tell you that your jeep is a pile of bovine excrement, but don't give in. Be sure all potential buyers know that you won't hold the jeep for them and that the first person with cash takes it. Have the pink slip and a bill of sale ready to go and inform the DMV of the sale by submitting a "Sold Notice" the same day the buyer drives their new jeep away from your house.

See: https://azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/ve...and-selling-your-vehicle/selling-your-vehicle

Also, drive the jeep to the inspecting mechanic yourself and pick it up from the mechanic as well. Potential buyers often flog a vehicle to "put it through its paces" and you will be the one who gets to pay for any damage they inflict. Be sure that the inspecting mechanic knows in advance that the buyer is paying for the inspection and confirm that the buyer has prepaid for the service and the mechanic won't try to put a mechanic's lien on your jeep if the buyer doesn't like the inspection results and doesn't want to pay.

Your husband's jeep will sell. Be patient - Spring is the start of jeep buying season.

That thing will sell no problem, I guarantee it. You might have to sit on it for a few months, but the closer we get to Spring / Summer, the more likely it will sell. Although in Arizona that may be the opposite, since Fall / Winter are like Summer in Arizona :ROFLMAO:

The person that buys it needs to be well informed and educated on Jeeps and they will have no issue with any of those minor fixes.

Don't get the jeep inspected

A little late for that advice.

It was already inspected and the results were probably BS but since that already happened, if you don't want to lie about the inspection and results (an option), it should be easy to discover the source of the leak so you can then share all known issues (probably all minor) with potential buyers.

To me the price that you're asking sounds fair, as mentioned taking it to a specialty 4x4 shop and have the transfer case looked at would give you a beter idea of if a repair is needed or not. Based on that you can decide if you want to change the price or not, also a local 4x4 shop might know of someone that's interested in a rig like yours. Best of luck in selling the Jeep. Very sorry to hear of your loss.

You should also consider posting it locally on Craigslist or FB Marketplace. Autotrader is a good site for nationwide coverage, but a lot of times they get sold locally and places like Craigslist tend to be the first place some look. LJs don't pop up often in the Tucson area and the only other one currently active locally is asking $20k. You will get plenty of lowball offers, but don't discount the price due to what one shop said.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=542439812