Advice on how much I should sell my TJ for

Spoe71

Hello, folks.

My wife and I are getting into the camper trailer thing, but my 2 door Rubicon just won't pull the kind of camper we want, which means I need a bigger Jeep (Aww, shucks, right? Gladiator here I come!), but I don't know how much is reasonable for the Jeep I have. I don't want to undercharge or overcharge for it.

I didn't post this in the "For Sale" thread because I am not technically selling it just now---but I also don't have a clue how much I should sell it for. Prices are all over the place. I've seen fixer-uppers go for as little as 7-8k and trail ready rig monsters with asking prices of 22K or more.

So, I thought I would post a few pics of my one-owner 2004 Rubicon to see what you all think. I've done a lot of work to it, but nothing too extreme. For example, the suspension and tires are all factory sized. Up until a few months ago, I planned to just keep this one, so a lot of the work you see is very new.

It used to have the death wobble, but it rides like new again with a new front-end rebuild, including new control arms (front and back, including axle-side bushings), new drag link, tie rod, track bar, u-joints, hub assemblies, sway bar links, ball joints, steering stabilizer, and because we had the whole front end taken apart, new brake lines, brakes, calipers, and a fresh turn on the rotors too.

Pulled everything out of the inside, scrubbed it down, and replaced it all. It has the hard BedTred liner, three-piece Twill top, and new seat covers. CD player doesn't work anymore, but I'm not sure people buy CDs anyway. Tires have fewer than 500 miles on them.

118,000 miles, bought new in 2004. No wrecks. Well kept. It was a daily driver for about ten years, but now its just a weekender. I've never done any serious off-roading with it other than a few trips to the OHV area of Turkey Bay at Land Between the Lakes, but that was years ago. Now, all it sees is the odd dirt road leading to local fishing holes.

Anyway, what do you all think is a fair price for this one?

1.jpeg

2 ding in driver door.jpeg

3 New Meats.png

3b New Meats.jpeg

3c matching spare.png

4 under the carport.png

5b bed tred interior.png

5c bed tred interior.png

6 new seat covers.png

7 a look at the new ball joints.jpeg

7b front end rebuild.jpg

8 where she lives.jpg

15,000 potentially. You will hear 12,000-17,500 on here as a range.

Reactions: John Cooper
A clean,low miles(relatively),one-owner Rubicon. Very nice. Practically a unicorn. The used car market is nuts right now. I’d put it on Facebook marketplace for 20k OBO.

Don’t ever sell that thing though .Sorry,but I guarantee that you will regret it...seen it so many times. 20 years from now you’ll still be talking about how you should’ve never sold it. ✌️

A TJ Rubicon was just listed in my area for 30k. The used market is hot right now. Depending on how quickly you want to move it you may want to shoot high and work down.

Hello, folks.

My wife and I are getting into the camper trailer thing, but my 2 door Rubicon just won't pull the kind of camper we want, which means I need a bigger Jeep (Aww, shucks, right? Gladiator here I come!), but I don't know how much is reasonable for the Jeep I have. I don't want to undercharge or overcharge for it.

I didn't post this in the "For Sale" thread because I am not technically selling it just now---but I also don't have a clue how much I should sell it for. Prices are all over the place. I've seen fixer-uppers go for as little as 7-8k and trail ready rig monsters with asking prices of 22K or more.

So, I thought I would post a few pics of my one-owner 2004 Rubicon to see what you all think. I've done a lot of work to it, but nothing too extreme. For example, the suspension and tires are all factory sized. Up until a few months ago, I planned to just keep this one, so a lot of the work you see is very new.

It used to have the death wobble, but it rides like new again with a new front-end rebuild, including new control arms (front and back, including axle-side bushings), new drag link, tie rod, track bar, u-joints, hub assemblies, sway bar links, ball joints, steering stabilizer, and because we had the whole front end taken apart, new brake lines, brakes, calipers, and a fresh turn on the rotors too.

Pulled everything out of the inside, scrubbed it down, and replaced it all. It has the hard BedTred liner, three-piece Twill top, and new seat covers. CD player doesn't work anymore, but I'm not sure people buy CDs anyway. Tires have fewer than 500 miles on them.

118,000 miles, bought new in 2004. No wrecks. Well kept. It was a daily driver for about ten years, but now its just a weekender. I've never done any serious off-roading with it other than a few trips to the OHV area of Turkey Bay at Land Between the Lakes, but that was years ago. Now, all it sees is the odd dirt road leading to local fishing holes.

Anyway, what do you all think is a fair price for this one?

View attachment 263054

View attachment 263055

View attachment 263056

View attachment 263057

View attachment 263058

View attachment 263059

View attachment 263060

View attachment 263061

View attachment 263062

View attachment 263063

View attachment 263064

View attachment 263065
Just bought a 2006 TJ with 120K and paid $15000. Yours should be close to that.

My neighbor sold an 03 Rubicon that, aside from color, was virtually identical (mileage, condition, etc.) for $18k 2 months ago. Depends on the market there; out here I'd list at $20k.

Reactions: rubicube
I paid $9500 for my one owner, Texas Rubicon with every service record from new. $12,000 tops in my area. You can ask any price you want, doesn't mean you'll get it.
p.s. That dent in the door would knock it down another $500 for me.
RR5 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
All you can get! The owner of the paint shops brother asked me how much I wanted for mine. I threw out the average $$ of what I had seen on CL. That way if he bit I could replace it.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
VERY nice Rubicon. Buy a motorized rv and tow the jeep behind it. Bonus when you get hungry while traveling your sandwich maker can go to the fridge and make you a sandwich.
Mines not a Rubicon and is no where near as nice as yours but I speak from experience. Done the truck and travel trailer thing, this is more comfortable.

20210605_191329.jpg

I paid $9500 for my one owner, Texas Rubicon with every service record from new. $12,000 tops in my area. You can ask any price you want, doesn't mean you'll get it.
p.s. That dent in the door would knock it down another $500 for me.

View attachment 263154
I’m not bashing Boog, but he is an experienced buyer ....this is an outlier for the average guy , although it would not suprise me if Boog did it again.

I’m not bashing Boog, but he is an experienced buyer ....this is an outlier for the average guy , although it would not suprise me if Boog did it again.
I only scoop up the good deals and fast. I'm poor. The only reason I got the deal on the Rubicon is because I sold my 2000 Sahara several days earlier and had the cash on me. :)