Advice on potential super low mileage vehicle purchase

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
Is it possible to have too few miles on a 3 year old car? An opportunity dropped in my lap to buy out a lease in March of 2024 on a 2021 Jetta that will have about 750 miles on it at the time (driven about 250/year currently). The buyout is only 11k & change so it's a killer deal provided that the car is good to go mechanically. It’s my mom’s current car but she told me that once the lease is up she’s done with cars, her & my dad will just go down to one car as they’re getting up there in age…

I would not have thought of this being an issue but for the many low miles TJ threads I've read over the years & the caveats about having too few miles & potential mechanical issues resulting from lack of use. My feeling is that those things don't apply to a much newer car like this one but I'm only guessing, so any advice would be appreciated.

Is it possible to have too few miles on a 3 year old car? An opportunity dropped in my lap to buy out a lease in March of 2024 on a 2021 Jetta that will have about 750 miles on it at the time (driven about 250/year currently). The buyout is only 11k & change so it's a killer deal provided that the car is good to go mechanically. It’s my mom’s current car but she told me that once the lease is up she’s done with cars, her & my dad will just go down to one car as they’re getting up there in age…

I would not have thought of this being an issue but for the many low miles TJ threads I've read over the years & the caveats about having too few miles & potential mechanical issues resulting from lack of use. My feeling is that those things don't apply to a much newer car like this one but I'm only guessing, so any advice would be appreciated.
I would think on a car that new there would be no issues, any oil changes done in the 3 years? Take it for a drive but given how good gas is now I doubt there are any issues.

I would think on a car that new there would be no issues, any oil changes done in the 3 years? Take it for a drive but given how good gas is now I doubt there are any issues.
it's only 1 year in, she picked it up in January 2021, against my advice because she turned in a similarly situated Jetta lease at the time with 2000 miles on it so I tried to convince her she didn't need another one then but here we are, and she's driving even less now & will probably soon stop altogether. I would've bought the last one but just didn't have any use for it, though probably could've made a few bucks for her on the deal now that I think of it.

I'm just thinking ahead, in 2024 when this current one expires my car will be 10 years old & it may be perfect timing.

Now that I'm thinking about it perhaps the better move for her would be to negotiate an early termination now with a kick back to her, they'd probably be better off getting it back & selling it for some stupid amount now.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Sitting is not good for any vehicle. It causes all types of problems, internal corrosion to the engine, brake system, grease drying out and countless other things. I would much prefer a normal or slightly low mileage for the year and definitely wouldn't pay a premium for ulta-low mileage. Not to mention the rubber ages sitting so 10k or 100k miles the bushings and all the rubber seals are equally worn. Paying a premium is definitely not something I'd do personally. You are better off getting a newer normal mileage vehicle for the same price.

it's only 1 year in, she picked it up in January 2021, against my advice because she turned in a similarly situated Jetta lease at the time with 2000 miles on it so I tried to convince her she didn't need another one then but here we are, and she's driving even less now & will probably soon stop altogether. I would've bought the last one but just didn't have any use for it, though probably could've made a few bucks for her on the deal now that I think of it.

I'm just thinking ahead, in 2024 when this current one expires my car will be 10 years old & it may be perfect timing.

Now that I'm thinking about it perhaps the better move for her would be to negotiate an early termination now with a kick back to her, they'd probably be better off getting it back & selling it for some stupid amount now.
I missed the part about 2024, yeah she might get some bucks back turning it in. They could sell that for a premium and it would still be under warranty. I would shop that to several dealers, maybe even carvanna. They are paying stupid pricing now.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
I'd run, not walk, away from ANY VW/Audi/Porche product as fast as I could - but that's me.
Can’t stress this enough.

Having owned so many of them I think anyone who buys one is in for a terrible experience in the long run.

Never again will I own anything produced by VW Group. My mom and every other friend I know who has owned a VW in the past would say the same thing.

Reactions: Zorba

Having owned so many of them I think anyone who buys one is in for a terrible experience in the long run.

Never again will I own anything produced by VW Group. My mom and every other friend I know who has owned a VW in the past would say the same thing.
I've had two VWs & they were flawless, did only oil, tires, batteries & brakes... but that said I still opt for Japanese cars when buying though I'd consider this one because it would essentially be a brand new car for 11k, have you seen what 11k gets you today :ROFLMAO:
11k.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Given the current state of the car market, I'd be wiling to bet they (VW/the dealer) would cancel the lease in order to be able sell it now.

I've had two VWs & they were flawless, did only oil, tires, batteries & brakes... but that said I still opt for Japanese cars when buying though I'd consider this one because it would essentially be a brand new car for 11k, have you seen what 11k gets you today :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 312670
Consider yourself lucky I guess! I need more than two hands to count the number of people I know with VW nightmares 😆

Consider yourself lucky I guess! I need more than two hands to count the number of people I know with VW nightmares 😆
The old air cooled VWs were "ok". Nothing extra, but they were dirt cheap and easy to repair. Dad bought a 77 Rabbit. Electrical gremlins. I bought a '96 Passat TDI. Electrical gremlins and under sized belt tensioner bearings. Given this seems to be the experience of just about everybody I know who has owned a water cooled VW, there's no way in Hell I'd own a modern one as they've done nothing but get more computerized!

Audi is junk, always has been junk, always will be junk. They were junk in the 70s, and they're junk now. Trying to impress everyone by playing in Mercedes's market segment - don't be fooled.

The old air cooled VWs were "ok". Nothing extra, but they were dirt cheap and easy to repair. Dad bought a 77 Rabbit. Electrical gremlins. I bought a '96 Passat TDI. Electrical gremlins and under sized belt tensioner bearings. Given this seems to be the experience of just about everybody I know who has owned a water cooled VW, there's no way in Hell I'd own a modern one as they've done nothing but get more computerized!

Audi is junk, always has been junk, always will be junk. They were junk in the 70s, and they're junk now. Trying to impress everyone by playing in Mercedes's market segment - don't be fooled.

Air cooled VWs are another story. When you have something that simple it's hard to be bad simply because of how easy they are to rebuild.

VWs are notorious for electrical issues. I had plenty of those in all the VWs I owned. Audi is nothing more than expensive VWs, almost what Acura is to Honda in some ways.

My mom bought a brand new 2004 Jetta VR6 when they came out. Within 20k miles the water pump went bad. 80k miles the transmission went bad. That's not including the dozens of other issues she had with that thing.

Anyways, nothing against people that own them, but I could never in good conscious recommend a VW to anyone I know.

Reactions: ColoJeep and Zorba
View attachment 312670
damn you not only drove the tires off that one ,and the paint too !!!! :eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

seeing how you know it was driven by a little old lady to church on Sunday's and I would hope she would tell you if there's anything wrong with it, it jump on it ! unless she's one of those that comes out of the driveway at 90mph......my parents had a 76 Alfa Romeo Spyder and I had a friend who wanted to go for a ride in it, well my mother took him on one. when he got back he said Jesus Christ we came out of the driveway at 90 and when she got on the road she took off like a bat outa hell ! :ROFLMAO: he never asked to go on another ride with her !!!! heck before the lease is up maybe take mom on a trip/vacation and drive that car to see if there's anything wrong it !

I'd run, not walk, away from ANY VW/Audi/Porche product as fast as I could - but that's me.
THIS-—- !!
I think I would go one step further, ( flame suit on ) I would steer clear of Modern BMW and Mercedes also.
These are manufactures that also build expensive to repair cars with questionable reliability.
These kompanies are trying to live on the reputation they had decades ago.
But the new cars aren't E30 M series or W115 S-Class cars.
Instead you get a twin turbo inline six with a taste for oil usage and built without a oil dipstick.
And a Uber tech. sedan relying on German electronics, look how Daimler " improved " 05 and 06 TJ electronics. :cautious:
What could go wrong.

Is there any car that you have actually owned and liked?🤔 Given the number of cars you have owned, you must be unlucky with a large number of them giving you trouble irrespective of make.

Last edited:
Is there any car that you have actually owned and liked?🤔 Given the number of cars you have owned, you must be unlucky with a large number of them giving you trouble irrespective of make.

You're mistaking boredom and indecision with me not liking something.

I like most of the cars I've owned, I just get bored with things quickly.

Big difference between that and not wanting to own a car because it's an unreliable POS. That is the experience I've had with VW, BMW, and Audi.

For that reason I won't own German cars.

Reactions: ColoJeep
THIS-—- !!
I think I would go one step further, ( flame suit on ) I would steer clear of Modern BMW and Mercedes also.
These are manufactures that also build expensive to repair cars with questionable reliability.
These kompanies are trying to live on the reputation they had decades ago.
But the new cars aren't E30 M series or W115 S-Class cars.
Instead you get a twin turbo inline six with a taste for oil usage and built without a oil dipstick.
And a Uber tech. sedan relying on German electronics, look how Daimler " improved " 05 and 06 TJ electronics. :cautious:
What could go wrong.
I agree completely - but W115 wasn't an S-Class. That was the W108, then the W116, then the W126 like mine, W140 which is too new...