Advice on potential super low mileage vehicle purchase

You're mistaking boredom and indecision with me not liking something.

I like most of the cars I've owned, I just get bored with things quickly.

Big difference between that and not wanting to own a car because it's an unreliable POS. That is the experience I've had with VW, BMW, and Audi.

For that reason I won't own German cars.

I never mistook anything and that was a genuine question. You answered it so thanks for that.

I'm just trying to understand how you ran into that much trouble with those brands you mentioned above. You tend to buy cars in good shape and decent mileage and you tend to do your research about them. Unless you are really modifying them or pushing them hard on the track and such, how do you get into that much unreliability esp when you don't keep the cars for few years? Trying to understand that was the intent of my question.

Every car has problems. Specific years and models in every brand have issues that people have reported over the years. I don't disagree with that. But I don't think it makes sense calling entire brands bad based on few examples you have had (or heard second hand).

My brother has a 2003 Mercedes E500. Close to 130k miles. He got it used a few years ago and it's been a great car just like @Mike_H experience with his Audi. All he has done is just typical maintainence. People will say that entire generation is horrible and everything constantly breaks. But that has not been our experience. But it's insufficient data for me to say that entire era of Mercedes is good. All I can say is this example has been trouble free.

If you are making the point that modern cars are complicated and have the potential for more electronics related issues, there may be something there. But that's a different topic altogether.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_H
I agree completely - but W115 wasn't an S-Class. That was the W108, then the W116, then the W126 like mine, W140 which is too new...
Thanks ! , I fat fingered W115 vs the correct W116. as agent 86 would say, " missed it by that much ! "
Doesn't it suck that the newer you get with cars the more they suck the life out of you.

Thanks ! , I fat fingered W115 vs the correct W116. as agent 86 would say, " missed it by that much ! "
Doesn't it suck that the newer you get with cars the more they suck the life out of you.
For whatever reason, I was never a fan of the W116 - never cared that much for it. Owned a W115, still miss it but it had advanced cancer. Of all the halfway recent Benzes, the W108 is my fave!

For whatever reason, I was never a fan of the W116 - never cared that much for it. Owned a W115, still miss it but it had advanced cancer. Of all the halfway recent Benzes, the W108 is my fave!
A W108 is a car I could roll with !

A W108 is a car I could roll with !
Yea, I've always dreamed of a OM 617A like my W126 has - retrofitted into a W108. Its been done a time or two from what I've seen. The last of the high grille cars. In general, the older the Benz, the better it looks. I wasn't really a fan of the W110/W111 finbacks, but even those are starting to look pretty darn good...

Purely looks wise, I always liked the W124. It looks really nice in black with a touch of chrome and it also had some fantastic tech/design (for the time .. 0.26-0.30 drag coeff is good even today!) and great build quality too from what I have read and heard.

Yea, I've always dreamed of a OM 617A like my W126 has - retrofitted into a W108. Its been done a time or two from what I've seen. The last of the high grille cars. In general, the older the Benz, the better it looks. I wasn't really a fan of the W110/W111 finbacks, but even those are starting to look pretty darn good...
Not that it's remotely practical but 300 SEL 6.3 has intrigued me. Kinda like a Hessian version of a Big Block Impala !

We leased a 2016 (maybe a 17?) VW jetta. It was a great little car that had a turbo. It would get up and move and we hit 50 mpg regularly in it.

$11k for a 3 year old, basically brand new car that in this case, is literally driven to church on sunday. I wouldn't hesitate.

Last edited:
I didn't read everyone's responses but IMO, this is a win win. Buy it. You'll regret it if you don't.

EDIT: since there's so many VW haters (I get it, I don't trust them either) consider you can flip it for a premium to Carvana or Vroom or possibly any other internet car reseller. Low miles and relatively new is the plus. Have you seen the price of high mileage used cars? 🤯

Last edited:
I guess to each their own. My wife drives a 2000 VW Golf TDI with 130,000 on the clock. One glow plug replaced.
I drive a 2006 Jeep LJR with 35,000. I lube it and change the oil every year. I bought a new belt and hoses, alternator kit, and an OPDA but have not installed any of them. Replace the tires at 10 years.

I didn't read everyone's responses but IMO, this is a win win. Buy it. You'll regret it if you don't.

EDIT: since there's so many VW haters (I get it, I don't trust them either) consider you can flip it for a premium to Carvana or Vroom or possibly any other internet car reseller. Low miles and relatively new is the plus. Have you seen the price of high mileage used cars? 🤯
I only hate on VW after both my father and I had bad experiences. But I sure don't see them as anything "premium" regardless - no FWD car is as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting. I absolutely love my 19 GLI. I went VW because 19 was the last year of the 6yr, 72k warranty.
Maybe they’ve worked out the kinks. To be fair it’s been well over a decade since I owned one.

I owned a Jetta years ago and it was a POS. All of the window motors burned up and had to blocked up with a piece of wood. After replacing 1 and it not lasting long I wasn't going to try fixing the remaining. The only window that opened on it was the sunroof. It let me sit on the side of the highway when the fuel pump quit on it. Sold it for $500 after that. A new fuel pump at the time was like $1500 for a new one.

I owned a Jetta years ago and it was a POS. All of the window motors burned up and had to blocked up with a piece of wood. After replacing 1 and it not lasting long I wasn't going to try fixing the remaining. The only window that opened on it was the sunroof. It let me sit on the side of the highway when the fuel pump quit on it. Sold it for $500 after that. A new fuel pump at the time was like $1500 for a new one.
Yep - typical VW. Electrical problems and problems with the electric accessories. Yet another reason I don't want any of that crap, but you're forced to buy it in this country...