Advice On Rebuilding NP231J

Alex Raymes

Alright guys. I've got a 2003 Jeep TJ Sahara with the 231J transfer case. Several months ago a noise started to develop. It sounds like bearings that are completely shot. Theres a really loud sound inside the cab. I pin pointed the sound to the transfer case when I got underneath it while the rear wheels were off the ground. There's a bunch of noise that sounds like several problems within the transfer case. It also sounds like the chain is really loose as well. My 4x4 didn't work when I first got it due to bent shift linkages. So I'm not worried about that right now. I purchased a bearing and seal overhaul kit and a new chain. I was looking at ordering a new range fork too but wasn't sure if i should replace it too while I have the case popped open. The jeep still drives just fine. So I don't believe the main output or input shafts are damaged. Ive got the general idea of what to do to rebuild it but would like any and all advice. Thank you.

throw the 231 in the fire and get a 241 rock track.

All kidding aside, post pictures of your process and what issues you had if any rebuidling it. I've also seen 231j t cases go for under 300 on eBay so if it's beyond repair toss it.
lol I wish I could afford a 241.... living off a military budget here. I'd love to just light it on fire

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
You mentioned issues with shift linkage. I was actually thinking of trying this out. It's only $70 bucks vs 180 for the Novak one. I'm sure Novak is better but hey if I can shift and not have it be somewhat difficult and it's reliable, for 70 bucks I think it's worth it

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=222644410910
Sweet thanks! I was actually looking at different options for a new linkage. I haven't seen this one before but it looks pretty simple. As long as it works that's all that matters

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Sweet thanks! I was actually looking at different options for a new linkage. I haven't seen this one before but it looks pretty simple. As long as it works that's all that matters
Agreed. quality first. But if something is built as well as something twice as expensive, it is stupid to buy the twice as expensive part. My opinion, and obviously there are tons of exceptions. Like if you just want X brand

I emailed the seller and asked if it fits with body lifts. May or may not be relevant to you.

If you think your range fork might be damaged and you've got the money to replace it or are worried id say go for it unless you want to split it again and refill it. Do note I'm seeing the 87-02 is the same and it changed in 03.

Reactions: Alex Raymes
Agreed. quality first. But if something is built as well as something twice as expensive, it is stupid to buy the twice as expensive part. My opinion, and obviously there are tons of exceptions. Like if you just want X brand

I emailed the seller and asked if it fits with body lifts. May or may not be relevant to you.

If you think your range fork might be damaged and you've got the money to replace it or are worried id say go for it unless you want to split it again and refill it. Do note I'm seeing the 87-02 is the same and it changed in 03.
Thanks brother. I've been searching everywhere for an 03 range fork. I think I've found one. I just hope it's actually for the 03. I'll be sure to post pictures of the process and share them with you guys.